Ellen Ripley/Sigourney Weaver future roles for the franchise

Started by Frosty Venom, Oct 09, 2018, 03:55:30 PM

What do you for the future of Ellen Ripley/Sigourney Weaver?

Reprise her role as Ellen in Blomkamp's Alien
11 (20.8%)
Reprise her role as Ripley 8
7 (13.2%)
Reprise her role in a series
1 (1.9%)
Voice acting roles in games and animation
10 (18.9%)
New actor playing Ripley
1 (1.9%)
More books and comics with Ripley
2 (3.8%)
No more Ripley
34 (64.2%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author
Ellen Ripley/Sigourney Weaver future roles for the franchise (Read 11,587 times)

SM

Last time Weaver played Ripley she earned twice as much (adjusted) as it cost to make the latest Halloween.

The Old One

The Old One

True.

SM

You can't make an Alien film for $10m.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Oct 22, 2018, 10:50:14 PM

They tried with avpr.

Heck, if you keep things that dark, you can make one for $20 and a six pack.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 22, 2018, 10:53:17 PM

They tried with avpr.

But I thought AVPr cost 40 Million dollars to make? :P

And yes you can make an alien film for $10m. It probably wouldn't be any good to look at or listen too but it can be done. Also no one said that it would be a good idea.

Huggs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 22, 2018, 11:05:32 PM

They tried with avpr.

It did. That was sarcasm aimed at the film.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 22, 2018, 11:39:22 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 22, 2018, 11:05:32 PM

They tried with avpr.

It did. That was sarcasm aimed at the film.
I know. I just wanted to rub the sarcasm in a little bit more.

DerelictShip

Weaver was an up and coming actor at the time of Alien. They should recruit more actors like that, keep the cost low on that side of things.

The Kurgan

No more Ellen for me.
Her story was told and she died destroying the alien and denying WY their price. What better end can you give her, after the alien and the company took everything from her.
Reviving her in another form like they tried in Resurrection did not save that movie and even if you take regular Ellen and retcon her dead...what kind of story could you imagine for her?
Her stumbling again over the alien like in the first movie ? Trying to take WY down one woman army style? The latter would in my opinion warp the character into some kind of Jack Reacher or Jason Bourne and would take much of the "realism" of her character or the whole Alien universe.

Just take new characters and have them encounter the Alien and go from there. It lets the universe feel bigger, you have the added bonus that the new guys don't know what they are dealing with and are not familiar with the alien or it's lifecycle and you can save money if you take young, cheap talent over Sigourney Weaver. Thats money you can put into the script, the SFX or the design.

Huggs

Quote from: TheKurgan on Oct 28, 2018, 05:55:03 PM
you can save money if you take young, cheap talent over Sigourney Weaver. Thats money you can put into the script, the SFX or the design.

I don't ever want to see Ripley's character back either. She had the perfect story. But "Cheap" and "Talent" are not things that always go together. If Weaver was "cheap talent" back in 1979, then Scott was incredibly lucky, because she was and still is incredibly talented. What are the odds of that happening again?

The Alien franchise is not the new kid on the block, nor is it the cheapest. Skimping on the talent is something that might do more harm than good. It's still attracting the likes of Scott and Fassbender. This is top-tier talent. The mistake lies in the writing, which is feeling cheaper with every new movie. Alien can and should have incredible talent. It deserves it.

As it has been said, "when one note is off, it destroys the whole symphony". Do I think there should be a new direction with different actors? Yes, I absolutely do. But in no way should those actors come cheap. That just brings the overall quality down. Alien is beyond that. Leave the cheap talent for the cheap movies, I say. Keep anything cheap, far away from Alien.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 28, 2018, 06:30:34 PM
Quote from: TheKurgan on Oct 28, 2018, 05:55:03 PM
you can save money if you take young, cheap talent over Sigourney Weaver. Thats money you can put into the script, the SFX or the design.

I don't ever want to see Ripley's character back either. She had the perfect story. But "Cheap" and "Talent" are not things that always go together. If Weaver was "cheap talent" back in 1979, then Scott was incredibly lucky, because she was and still is incredibly talented. What are the odds of that happening again?

The Alien franchise is not the new kid on the block, nor is it the cheapest. Skimping on the talent is something that might do more harm than good. It's still attracting the likes of Scott and Fassbender. This is top-tier talent. The mistake lies in the writing, which is feeling cheaper with every new movie. Alien can and should have incredible talent. It deserves it.

As it has been said, "when one note is off, it destroys the whole symphony". Do I think there should be a new direction with different actors? Yes, I absolutely do. But in no way should those actors come cheap. That just brings the overall quality down. Alien is beyond that. Leave the cheap talent for the cheap movies, I say. Keep anything cheap, far away from Alien.

You are totally right, cheap and talent may not be dime a dozen, but it is out there. Every top-tier talent from today had to start somewhere, Scott, Cameron and Fincher were not the big shots they are today when they made their entry to the Alien franchise. And you don't have too take cheap talent like direct to DVD B-movie cheap. Just maybe cheap in comparison with Sigourney, Fassbender and Scott.

And while i think the franchise does deserve the best talent out there, i don't think you need the most expensive a-lister actors to make a great movie. Talented of course, but not necessarily the most expensive .

DerelictShip

Not saying I would ever want this, cause I don't, but what would be your reactions if they had the next Alien featuring Ripley, and they say everything that occurred in Alien 3 and A:R was a dream.

Like if it opens up with an older Ripley waking up to a night terror. Later we see an older Newt with a family. Maybe they include an older Hicks too. And Ripley just is dealing with the effects of PTSD or something.

The Old One

The Old One

Fury.

The Kurgan

Quote from: DerelictShip on Oct 28, 2018, 10:52:36 PM
Not saying I would ever want this, cause I don't, but what would be your reactions if they had the next Alien featuring Ripley, and they say everything that occurred in Alien 3 and A:R was a dream.

Like if it opens up with an older Ripley waking up to a night terror. Later we see an older Newt with a family. Maybe they include an older Hicks too. And Ripley just is dealing with the effects of PTSD or something.

I would be pretty pissed. On the one hand because i like Alien 3, on the other because it is telenovela level of writing.
If you absolutely have to do it,  just ignore A3 and A:R  without any explanation. No explanation is better than such a lazy one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed