Shane Black got hung out to dry??- This movie stinks of a FOX f-up

Started by Original Predator, Sep 18, 2018, 07:22:45 PM

Author
Shane Black got hung out to dry??- This movie stinks of a FOX f-up (Read 11,415 times)

The Old One

The Old One

The AVP films aren't canon. Nor of decent quality.

I don't know why anyone would rationalize their inclusion into either franchise.

yautjapet

Quote from: ep40 on Sep 23, 2018, 05:40:09 PM
About comparing The Predator with other films, it can be seen that it is more damaging than rest. Predators added new things like hunting planet and Super Preds but those were harmless as those were things of another clan and the actions of clan of JH, CH and classic one from Predators weren't changed in context. Clan of classics was still there somewhere, hunting with honor separately from Super Preds.

These are pretty much exactly my thoughts. The movie expects us to suddenly view the behaviors and cultural clues of past predator movies in a whole new light. Movies that are just generically mediocre or bad I can deal with better than movies that force overarching lore changes.

The Predator can't be explained, creatures previously hunting for sport now want to upgrade themselves with autism.

If someone had said that sentence to me a few years ago...

DaddyYautja

previously hunting for sport now want to upgrade themselves with autism.

You guys are making want to see this movie  :laugh:

Predboy

The Predator can't be explained, creatures previously hunting for sport now want to upgrade themselves with autism.

I will forever hate this movie for destroying the lore of the predators with that awful DNA splicing. I was fine with it when I thought it was only applying to a single clan of predators, but once I found out they forced it onto the original two as well, I lost it. I'll admit, I'm being a bit of a fanboy here, but I'm glad this movie is bombing hard. Hopefully now, I wont have to worry about a sequel destroying the lore even more. They've gone from intergalactic hunters, to DNA splicing invaders.

Chris!(($$))!

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Iron Man 3

The Nice Guys

All very fun films, and all put together very well. I might not like Iron Man 3 with Black's style as much as I did 1 and 2 with Favreau's style but it was still put together properly.

The Predator though... What a mess, the only good things about it in my opinion are the cast and the comedy. I too am very confident that Fox were the ones to run this into the ground. And its not the first time either. While Sir Ridley may have made many  not so well received choices with Prometheus and Covenant, they were well put together movies and I'm sure Sir Ridley has more pull to do what he wants than Shane Black.

It almost seems like Fox is sabotaging the two franchises. Maybe by giving Scott too much freedom while restricting Black too much.

skull-splitter

Interesting. I think Covenant lackluster reception made Fox very wary.

Original Predator

This movie has come and gone so quickly.  Zero reception.  All but forgotten at this point, so soon.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Original Predator on Sep 26, 2018, 08:47:50 PM
This movie has come and gone so quickly.  Zero reception.  All but forgotten at this point, so soon.
Same as covenant you mean?

The Old One

The Old One

I still see passionate discussion on "Alien Covenant" -I predict no such discussions on "The Predator" in a year's time.

skull-splitter

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 26, 2018, 10:21:10 PM
I still see passionate discussion on "Alien Covenant" -I predict no such discussions on "The Predator" in a year's time.
As much as I liked Prometheus, I didn't care much for Covenant nor do I feel the need to discuss it.

But besides me: here we discuss it still, but the film didn't do nearly as well as Fox would have liked.

newagescamartist

Quote from: skull-splitter on Sep 29, 2018, 06:51:22 AM
As much as I liked Prometheus, I didn't care much for Covenant nor do I feel the need to discuss it.

But besides me: here we discuss it still, but the film didn't do nearly as well as Fox would have liked.

It's true that Fox would have liked to have seen more money, but it's a huge hit compared to The Predator.

skull-splitter

Quote from: newagescamartist on Sep 29, 2018, 08:08:07 AM
Quote from: skull-splitter on Sep 29, 2018, 06:51:22 AM

It's true that Fox would have liked to have seen more money, but it's a huge hit compared to The Predator.
Which bring me right back to why I mentioned Covenant to begin with: many people might have been turned of by it so much that they decided to skip on The Predator.

Much like the childish response to boycot Solo after not liking TLJ.

darcevil

Quote from: skull-splitter on Sep 29, 2018, 09:54:56 AM
Why on earth is not seeing movies made by a studio with a bad film history childish? If I buy food and it gives me food poisoning I don't want to go back to their restaurant.

skull-splitter

Quote from: darcevil on Sep 29, 2018, 01:06:40 PM
Why on earth is not seeing movies made by a studio with a bad film history childish? If I buy food and it gives me food poisoning I don't want to go back to their restaurant.
The reaction on TLJ was childish. I grew up on the same old films and wasn't insulted by what they did with Han Solo, Leia Organa or Luke Skywalker. But it did have a similar effect.

Or are you saying it's fair that The Predator is judged on how mixed Covenant was received?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: skull-splitter on Sep 29, 2018, 02:23:47 PM
Quote from: darcevil on Sep 29, 2018, 01:06:40 PM
The reaction on TLJ was childish. I grew up on the same old films and wasn't insulted by what they did with Han Solo, Leia Organa or Luke Skywalker. But it did have a similar effect.

Or are you saying it's fair that The Predator is judged on how mixed Covenant was received?

The reaction was childish via social networks and forums. On the other hand, voting with your wallet is not childish, but far more effective.

For The Predator I don't know, maybe people are not so excited about space aliens.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed