Anyone else think it's time for fox to stop with Predator and Alien?

Started by shakermakerman, Sep 16, 2018, 12:37:19 PM

Author
Anyone else think it's time for fox to stop with Predator and Alien? (Read 9,009 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Reply 56#

lol

Naginata

Quote from: Fleshwound on Sep 16, 2018, 07:26:48 PM
The David stuff needs to die off.

You leave my fictional sociopathic android boyfriend out of this!  >:(

EJA

My idea for a follow up movie would have tried to take the Predator mythos in new directions, while also attempting to recapture the fear and horror of the earlier instalments.

KikReask

In an age where we're saturated with Marvel, DC, Transformers and Star Wars films, Alien and Predator films are pretty much the only types of franchise films I'm looking forward to, even if they mostly end up being mediocre. Now I don't want either series to become some annual release crap, but I would like less of a hiatus on these films. Fox just doesn't have any confidence in making these films anymore.

I loved The Predator, and really enjoy Prometheus and Alien Covenant, but we'll no doubt get another hiatus on the Predator and the general audience has just stopped watching the newest Alien films. I want more, but its always doubtful.

Fleshwound

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 16, 2018, 07:33:44 PM

Spin him off into his own franchise and let the Alien one have, you know, aliens in it.

Dusk

I avoided reading the script or spoilers from it for the most part. So if the movie really wasn't interfered with that much then why the hell is it so inconsistent and choppy?

Because of the 3rd act revamp. An entire plot line with friendly Predators was dropped. So it looks like dialogue had to be changed, character motivations altered, the time table got changed because they decided to re-shoot everything at night time, because apparently things didn't look good at day time. Also apparently the Movie was 30-40 minutes too long. Then there's the whole sex offender controversy. So the scene in which Munn's character gets introduced into the Movie is gone and she's just there.

Not saying there was no studio interference. But even had they remained hands off and let Black do his thing, the Movie might have been more coherent, but it would still have been a parody of a Predator Movie.

goose_3387

Is there a chance that Disney will sell the Predator rights to someone else? Or will they just simply bury it forever?

EJA

It sounds a lot like the problems that beset Alien 3.

Naginata

Naginata

Spin him off into his own franchise and let the Alien one have, you know, aliens in it.

I really don't care if the Aliens are in it or not; a passive-aggressive robot with an Oedipus Complex f**king around with godlike technology to troll humanity is gonna be entertaining just about every time. One of my favorite movie monsters wrecking shit is a bonus.

Also, relax; short of a rimshot, I don't know how I could make it any more clear I was joking.

newagescamartist

newagescamartist

Quote from: Fleshwound on Sep 16, 2018, 07:41:25 PM
Quote from: Naginata on Sep 16, 2018, 07:33:44 PM

At this point David is Alien. IMO, this is the best direction the series could have taken. My theory is that David is trying to build himself a biological body via the xenomorph. I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that his inserts a part of himself into the entire batch of eggs we see in the original Alien, essentially becoming born again as Kane's son ( and whoever else gets facehugged later on ). There is so much potential with David and the xenomorph. I know some people are disappointed that Covenant heavily implies he's the creator of the xenomorph, but ultimately, the xenomorph has always been an engineered species. It's head always features a human skull for instance, no matter what type of animal it incubates in. Just my two cents.

Alien is not dead. Predator is pretty much done unless a talented filmmaker can start making Predator movies for $25-30 million, and make them good. I think it's doable. Predator doesn't have to be an "event" movie. The scariest aspect of the creature is that it can be invisible. Theoretically you could make an entire Predator movie without a single special effects shot if you know how to build tension with cinematography, music, and suspense.

If they really wanted to challenge viewers, they could even start giving us new creatures that hunt humans for sport just to keep it fresh. No rule says that a Predator film has to be based around yautja. That'd be a fresh angle. New types of tech, traps, perspective etc. People bash on the new Alien movies, but look at how much money they make in comparison to Predator movies. Big ideas and intelligent risk taking can be profitable. I urge whoever ultimately lands the Predator franchise to think outside the box.

FWIW, I wish the makers of Jurassic Park would think outside the box also. They've essentially remade Lost World 3x now. Want to talk about a series that went off the rails, Jurassic Park is it imo. Yea, the movies make money, but they get worse and worse. We could have had a dinosaur hunting people using vocal mimicking like a freaking parrot. They sold us on the birds idea in the first movie and then just completely abandoned it for being chased around by t-rexes and frankenstein monsters.

Hollywood is creatively bankrupt for the most part.

The Old One

The Old One

Think outside the box indeed.

Huggs

Quote from: newagescamartist on Sep 16, 2018, 09:49:33 PM
Hollywood is creatively bankrupt for the most part.

Yes, it is. Hence the remake-fest we find ourselves in. Add all of the political ideologies they're hell bent on pushing, and it's just really stale.

But meanwhile, out there in the EU, actual stories abound. The Female War novels, AVP Prey, If it Bleeds, etc. And the audio drama's are just killin' it. The EU is really running away with these franchises, and it's just one quality experience after another.

Samhain13

The movies need to be put down like a dying dog.

Huggs

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 17, 2018, 12:44:02 AM

Is the dick broke?  ;)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 17, 2018, 12:45:34 AM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 17, 2018, 12:44:02 AM

Is the dick broke?  ;)

Had to google that one.

"Dickbroken: The sexual equivalent of heartbroken. "Heartbroken" denoting being in love or at least having some sort of emotional attachment to a girl and being rejected. "Dickbroken" denotes being incredibly physically attracted to a woman and before any sort of relationship or emotional attachment occurs one is rejected."

I'm not sure I get it, is it because I though I would enjoy the movie and got no fanboy boner in return? No reaction while watching The Predator. And considering how it was even when I watched Predators at the theater I'm suprised this happened. First time for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed