IF The Predator gets a sequel, who should write/direct and how/why?

Started by von, Sep 11, 2018, 09:46:28 AM

Author
IF The Predator gets a sequel, who should write/direct and how/why? (Read 6,087 times)

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: bacchus on Sep 14, 2018, 01:27:14 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 14, 2018, 01:24:22 PM
Quote from: bacchus on Sep 14, 2018, 01:18:21 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 14, 2018, 01:11:44 PM
I know this is never going to happen but I would be elated if the Coen Brothers were involved in writing/directing the next movie.

Are you being serious?

After how bad this film was, you think of all people, the Coen Brothers are going to save it?  :laugh: have they even made anything resembling sci-fi, action or horror in their careers?

This film does not need a sequel, it needs a reboot. A simple, standalone film more in-line with the tone of the original (i.e. one predator with no redeeming/friendly qualities who has no sympathy). It needs a director with a solid track record. The only people I can think of would be McTiernan, or maybe a horror director like James Wan or Leigh Whannell.

I was unaware McTiernan did a bunch of sci-fi flicks before he got to direct Predator...  ::)

But at that point Predator was completely unknown and a brand new concept, it didn't have a reputation to live up to or protect.

So what? He still made one of the best sci-fi films of all time without having any history in that genre.

And you think Wan and Whanell are just the right dudes for the job?

bacchus

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 14, 2018, 01:34:34 PM
Quote from: bacchus on Sep 14, 2018, 01:27:14 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 14, 2018, 01:24:22 PM
Quote from: bacchus on Sep 14, 2018, 01:18:21 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 14, 2018, 01:11:44 PM
I know this is never going to happen but I would be elated if the Coen Brothers were involved in writing/directing the next movie.

Are you being serious?

After how bad this film was, you think of all people, the Coen Brothers are going to save it?  :laugh: have they even made anything resembling sci-fi, action or horror in their careers?

This film does not need a sequel, it needs a reboot. A simple, standalone film more in-line with the tone of the original (i.e. one predator with no redeeming/friendly qualities who has no sympathy). It needs a director with a solid track record. The only people I can think of would be McTiernan, or maybe a horror director like James Wan or Leigh Whannell.

I was unaware McTiernan did a bunch of sci-fi flicks before he got to direct Predator...  ::)

But at that point Predator was completely unknown and a brand new concept, it didn't have a reputation to live up to or protect.

So what? He still made one of the best sci-fi films of all time without having any history in that genre.
And you think Wan and Whanell are just the right dudes for the job?

Everyone loves the original Predator film. It was dark, violent and firmly in sci-fi horror territory with very little humor (aside from one or two Shane Black lines). That's what this franchise needs to go back to. This new film is just a mixture of genres, mainly sci-fi, action and comedy. Comedy just doesn't work for Predator on the scale that Shane Black has aimed for. Predator is meant to be tense, scary, violent etc - just like the Alien movies, hence why they two were combined in comics and films because they are meant to be a similar tone.

Not saying Wan and Whannell would be the perfect choices, but they would be a good option - Whannell is an excellent writer, and both are good directors with a background in some of the best modern horror in recent memory (Saw, Insidious, The Conjuring). Whannell also wrote/directored 'Upgrade' which was also very good recently.

The Old One

The Old One

Saw is half-decent, the rest of those are lowest common denominator appealing works. Not what I want from A or P.

The original Predator is not scary or tense, nor is it's sequels- they were always larger than life.

Wysps

A reboot also probably isn't the most appropriate route to take. Predators was in a way a reboot - we got almost the same story, same reveals, and many fans weren't happy because the similarities to the original made it "boring". I really liked the movie, but I can see their point. No, the next one needs to be a thing of its own but maybe a little closer in spirit to the original.

huntin8-t0n

Should anything be made next, the big screen is not a good option for it. There's just not enough time, if anyone wants to introduce creative ideas, and doesn't want to get tossed around by the studio (which is in the case of The Predator, assuming Shane Black is a good director/sw) They shall make a mini series or somethin, but diregard the latest... "addition"

Wysps

Quote from: huntin8-t0n on Sep 14, 2018, 02:23:14 PM
Should anything be made next, the big screen is not a good option for it. There's just not enough time, if anyone wants to introduce creative ideas, and doesn't want to get tossed around by the studio (which is in the case of The Predator, assuming Shane Black is a good director/sw) They shall make a mini series or somethin, but diregard the latest... "addition"

I don't know if a tv series would translate well, but I'd definitely be up for giving it a shot  :) Seems like that would give producers enough time to slowly show Predator lore and mythos that just isn't available in film.

PredBabe

With a Game of Thrones budget and creative style I suppose it could work so long as they look to really dive into the lore of the species. Fans will continue to divide with this though because some just don't want things to go past what is shown in the first movie.

Forgot to mention earlier, Guillermo del Toro would be another awesome option, IMO.... May be getting some more predators ogling naked ladies though. ;D 

yautjapet

I think going the miniseries route would be an excellent excuse to both ignore The Predator, and move away from the same old tropes and settings. Give us characters we care about and have the time to get invested in, and weave in some comics-based lore in to keep us intrigued in the predators themselves.

MU-TH-UR 6000

S. Craig Zahler.

This dude knows how to handle schlock, hyper gore, tension, creates believable characters, excellent pacing on his movies and there's always something unexpected lurking on the next scene.

Plus, part of me kinda wants a western with Predators in it, Bone Tomahawk style.

Serpico Jones

There's two things to consider. Number one: this franchise is about to belong to Disney, I have a feeling they're going to put it on ice for a few years. Number two: this movie is going to be a flop and no director of quality will want to touch another one anytime soon. It's going to be a long time until we see another one of these movies.

Wysps

Disney loves sequels.  Even bad ones (not that I want a bad sequel, mind you!)  Just because Disney is going to be the new owner of the Alien and Predator franchises doesn't necessarily mean either are going to be shelved.  Yes, they said they're going to scale back their more mature licenses, but we don't know if that means their newly acquired stuff or shit that's already in their vault.  Additionally, if a director likes the franchise or believes in its potential, they will give it their best.  Who knows, it may be Mctiernan himself.  Sure it might be a few years, but not the 15 to 20 like some people are saying.

huntin8-t0n

Quote from: Wysps on Sep 14, 2018, 02:29:44 PM
Quote from: huntin8-t0n on Sep 14, 2018, 02:23:14 PM

I don't know if a tv series would translate well, but I'd definitely be up for giving it a shot  :) Seems like that would give producers enough time to slowly show Predator lore and mythos that just isn't available in film.

Yea, there's plenty of time and opportunity, also no need to rush things and add everything at once. I kind of see it as the core problem about later movies.
Also, not just from pred side of things, but human characters. I enjoyed the acting in the predator, but it would have been so much better if we get to really know the loonies. Same for predators, it could have been much better from that point. Like why and how Mombasa became a death squad member, or what made Royce be a mercenary. Anyhow, clearly the big screen donesn't work for the franchise right now.

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

This film it took a much different tone and approach but it still worked for me.

I felt the film was a good mediator and break from how we view the franchise.

With that being said, I think they need to return to a gritty/horror/action/mysterious and darker tone. I do like the little break we got from having a forced feeling of mystery and suspense -when we knew what to expect- (Predators). But now that they have exploited this new perspective I think its a good opportunity to return to the roots. Considering the fugitive and Upgrade acted very unfamiliar with what we're used to seeing, but still within character.

Nathsp

Hope they erase that movie idea from the franchice, the space conquerors doesnt fit, the dna splicing is absurd... Lets say its just a clan who do this, and forget the idea.
Next movie, please use some comic stuff, they have great ideas

Huntsman

Another film can be set in any time period. Predators is set in a future beyond The Predator. It doesn't have to be a direct sequel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed