The Predator Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM

Author
The Predator Reviews (Read 73,475 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Would it have been awesome if it was from the director of Chappie?

Beatnation

Beatnation

Quote from: TheLoneRanger on Sep 07, 2018, 05:23:23 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Sep 07, 2018, 04:50:38 PM
Thor Ragnarok is one of the best superhero films ever made, so no- you're wrong "The Lone Ranger" on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYF-3pXDF0g
No. That movie is hot f**king garbage. It doesn't take itselr seriously, because then it would then be held to higher standards.

Like most of the Marvel Studios films.

They rely on tension deflating jokes, at all times, which undercuts any sense of drama or tension.  This was even an issue in a much superior film (thanks to RDJ) with Infinity War. 

The jokes on occasion work on first viewing, they didn't for the vast majority of Thor 3 but the over abundance of humor make repeat viewings boring and unwatchable. When you aim to be the clown, you're not held to any standards.

It's much more difficult to take material such as Thor and treat it seriously, and get an audience to treat it seriously or invest thoroughly.

See what Christopher Nolan did for Batman, and what Zack Snyder at least had the balls to try to do with Superman.

Thor Ragnorak is shit.  And thankfully all it's fluff and pointlessness is thoroughly destroyed in the very next entries opening scene in Infinity War.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 07, 2018, 08:58:47 PM
Would it have been awesome if it was from the director of Chappie?

That was... a lousy thing to do.

The Old One

The Old One

What was a lousy thing to do?

Apart from terrible base opinions I've seen recently.

Knock Knock

Knock Knock

Movie might be good and reviewers and gen audience might enjoy it but from what I am hearing about ending that changes the established lore and mythology which as a fan bothers me the most

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

That's a weird thing for the factions to be fighting over.

Spoiler
Hope the suit does more than just punches stuff. Because we humans generally use ranged weapons to defeat our foes, on account of not being unnecessarily suicidal. If this is 'Pacific Rim' levels of impractical silliness, I shall be cringing relentlessly.
[close]

Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler

Off topic but Thor 1 was pretty good movie. Kenneth Branagah infused lot of Shakespearan thing into the movie, thanks to him Loki turned into a memorable villain. Now Thor 2 was lousy. Then Thor Ragnajoke happened.

What bothers me how MCU/Disney fans just eat it up and call it greatest thing ever. Now lot of more typical Marvel comedy with 80s theme for no reason. Managed to ruin both Ragnarok and Planet Hulk storyline. Warrior Three killed off in opening, Odin died for no reason, Surtur turned into a jobber, Dr Strange had no reason to be in movie and so many ridiculous things but hey Thor cracks lot more jokes now and Led Zeppelin song is there so Thor is now "finally great" character.

Danversity

Danversity

Well, no one else seems to be complaining about the ending, so I'm eager to see what it is. I never care about criticisms that come exclusively from fans - or criticism that comes only from one particular niche of people that didn't like that thing. I actually loooove movies that please the audiences, but piss off hardcore fans, hence Iron Man 3 and The Last Jedi. Can't wait to check it out for myself.  ;)

Xan21

Xan21

General audiences who have been beated to death with cheap marvel movies will accept this ending... but sadly it doesn't fit at all in the Predator movies.

Danversity

Danversity

Campea's report on the reviews. Not his actually review yet, just talking about the reception.

Ingwar

Ingwar

John Campea? Don't listen to that shill. This guy masturbated over The Last Jedi.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Danversity on Sep 07, 2018, 10:35:18 PM
Well, no one else seems to be complaining about the ending, so I'm eager to see what it is. I never care about criticisms that come exclusively from fans - or criticism that comes only from one particular niche of people that didn't like that thing. I actually loooove movies that please the audiences, but piss off hardcore fans, hence Iron Man 3 and The Last Jedi. Can't wait to check it out for myself.  ;)

Ah, I forgot that fans don't make up much of the audience for a 30 year old "R" rated franchise. Surely all those families and 13 year olds going to see these movies for the first time must overwhelm the...oh, right.  ;)

And what does constitute a hardcore fan anyway?

The Old One

The Old One

The Last Jedi was trash, this is coming from someone with Laura as an avatar- so my opinion has nothing to do with what the general audience thought.

I have no interest in understanding sheep, only eating them.

Samhain13

Samhain13

TLJ pleased the audiences as much as episode 1. Pissing off fans isn't a smart marketing strategy in the long run, as they are the ones who buy the merchandising and all the side stuff. The general audience only buys the ticket for the movie.

And the things that the fans like are normally what makes a franchise even have fans in the first place, you take that out and even the average viewer will lose the interest in a series. Solo showed that.

For short: listen to the fans or don't complain about losing money. Even Ridley Scoot decided to bring the aliens back on Covenant after people complained about Prometheus not having them, but we kind of shooted ourselves in the foot with that one.

D88M

D88M

Quote from: TheLoneRanger on Sep 07, 2018, 05:23:23 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Sep 07, 2018, 04:50:38 PM
Thor Ragnarok is one of the best superhero films ever made, so no- you're wrong "The Lone Ranger" on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYF-3pXDF0g
No. That movie is hot f**king garbage. It doesn't take itselr seriously, because then it would then be held to higher standards.

Like most of the Marvel Studios films.

They rely on tension deflating jokes, at all times, which undercuts any sense of drama or tension.  This was even an issue in a much superior film (thanks to RDJ) with Infinity War. 

The jokes on occasion work on first viewing, they didn't for the vast majority of Thor 3 but the over abundance of humor make repeat viewings boring and unwatchable. When you aim to be the clown, you're not held to any standards.

It's much more difficult to take material such as Thor and treat it seriously, and get an audience to treat it seriously or invest thoroughly.

See what Christopher Nolan did for Batman, and what Zack Snyder at least had the balls to try to do with Superman.

Thor Ragnorak is shit.  And thankfully all it's fluff and pointlessness is thoroughly destroyed in the very next entries opening scene in Infinity War.

Hello, Marvel/DC fan here, Thor Ragnarok is the worst mcu movie, and one of the worst superhero movies. It also is the best example of everything that disney does wrong with Marvel.
The movie is totally unrelated to Marvel, Thor, or the actual Ragnarok and it has Thor, Loki, Odin, Hulk, and Hela acting 100% out of character, the Doctor Strange scene was embarrasing, and i could make a long list of flaws and reason why the movie is bad but i dont wanna make a wall of text. And the director is a really vain person who thinks of himself as a comedy mastermind and i dislike that much ego in a person.
It says a lot that Infinity War discarded pretty much everything from it as soon as it could, it was almost like the studio making an apology for that movie.
The argument could be made that is a well made movie in the technical aspects and is entertainning, but that is all becuse it falls at everything else, specially the God awful script.
The mcu is not very consistent in quality either, we got bad movies like Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Ant-Man & The Wasp, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1 and 2 (part two actually would have been good if it was more serious), Iron Man 3, etcetera, problem is that disney -and audiences, but i blame disney for that- think that all superhero movies should be parodies of themselves, not taken seriously, and be as humorous as they can.
Not only that, but they use humor to kill tension and serious moment, even in Infinity War which is by far the best mcu movie and it still pretty flawed by stuff that could be fixed easily since they were writing the script. They are focusing on making light humorous movies for the whole family to consume and then forget the minute they come out of the theater instead of making actual good movies, and DC has started to do the same.
And the fanbase is pretty toxic too, which i find very ironic and funny because if they were comic book fans and not just superhero movies fans would know that they are not as good as they think, not even as standalone movies, stuff like the mcu reddit board or superherohype forum is just iugh.

Quote from: Beatnation on Sep 07, 2018, 08:55:17 PM
I knew this film would be shit, promoted as "From the director of Iron Man 3" was enough of a warning.

The guy who  did not understood Iron Man, did not understood the Predator? What a twist!

All the mixed reviews and comments about the "Humorous" tone and Hicks review make me feel like i was right all along, which sucks. We got a movie that was butchered countless times to please everybody and ended up pleasing nobody, and it has not much to do with the Predator saga but with modern blockbusters. A shame, i was warming up to the idea of seeing in theaters since God know what disney is gonna destroy next.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed