THE PREDATOR - Bigger, Better, Badder Featurette | AMC Theatres (2018)

Started by Tetsujin, Aug 23, 2018, 05:22:16 PM

Author
THE PREDATOR - Bigger, Better, Badder Featurette | AMC Theatres (2018) (Read 28,725 times)

von

we are all fixated with the classics - crude, weathered and bulky armor with cables/wires and what not hanging out. although understandably fugitive's armor is more streamlined and tactical-looking, i do hope to see a variety of inspired suit designs (modern and classic) within a single movie (designs in Predators were quite mediocre IMO)

Master

Quote from: von on Aug 24, 2018, 09:42:00 AM
we are all fixated with the classics - crude, weathered and bulky armor with cables/wires and what not hanging out. although understandably fugitive's armor is more streamlined and tactical-looking, i do hope to see a variety of inspired suit designs (modern and classic) within a single movie (designs in Predators were quite mediocre IMO)

What can I say, I love my Predator being Hi-Tech, Low Tech, intergalactic, tribal, savage aliens.

TheBATMAN

To everyone saying the Upgrade is unnecessary, if this was 1986 would you be saying the same about the Queen?

SiL

Many people were back in 1986.

Master

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 24, 2018, 12:04:36 PM
To everyone saying the Upgrade is unnecessary, if this was 1986 would you be saying the same about the Queen?

If Upgrade is Predator Female that came to earth to kick ass of his ex-boyfriend then Im allright with it. I survived AvP-R, I`ll survive Upgrade. Let him be bigger stronger, meaner, heavier, smellier etc., but why he has to be poor looking? Why he can`t have mask and troophies and stuff? Just Uber-lycan all the way.

von

Quote from: Master on Aug 24, 2018, 11:46:24 AM
Quote from: von on Aug 24, 2018, 09:42:00 AM

What can I say, I love my Predator being Hi-Tech, Low Tech, intergalactic, tribal, savage aliens.

i'm with you on that. it's the contradiction (tribal/primitive nature vs hi-tech, advanced weaponry) that makes it soooo unique and compelling till this day, as with most things on the planet

but even Shane in the excerpt from Total Film's article has stated that some of the Predator's iconography has been lost. he has perpetuated it too

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: Master on Aug 24, 2018, 12:08:13 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 24, 2018, 12:04:36 PM

If Upgrade is Predator Female that came to earth to kick ass of his ex-boyfriend then Im allright with it. I survived AvP-R, I`ll survive Upgrade. Let him be bigger stronger, meaner, heavier, smellier etc., but why he has to be poor looking? Why he can`t have mask and troophies and stuff? Just Uber-lycan all the way.

My guess would be to make a really strong contrast from visual point, the difference between regular predator and upgraded predator. I feel like it's what was the direction for the Director/Producer/Art Director. But in this type of project they do spend a lot of time to decide what design would look like, and "Usually" it should have some meaning behind.
I mean I am working right now on mobile strategy game, and everyday we getting feedback on what the design of the building should look like and what the color should look like, why we choosing one sets of color for certain buildings and not another, what shape progressions should be. What I am trying to say, that on this kind of project I am sure or at least hope that they do spend a good amount of time searching for the design and actually having a strong argument about why they go this way. I mean it's a group of professional artists working there.
Now another thing is that did you like the way they went? Which is usually a very subjective part of the discussion, of course we can use percentage as deciding factor of how successful design was: like a lot of fans of Alien more fans of Giger's work then any other stuff which came after Giger. Or that Jungle Hunter is the OG of all predators and his design is the best (not all, but a lot of fans I am sure thinks like that).
I personally fan City Hunter and lost tribe designs and got tired from Jungle Hunter's praise. And I didn't like any other design after Predator 2, but saw a lot of people liking some designs of AVP predators, Wolf, and even Berserks from Predators, so in the end it's a question of taste and how lucky the artist got with the Design  ;)

TheBATMAN

Quote from: SiL on Aug 24, 2018, 12:05:39 PM
Many people were back in 1986.

Indeed. And look how 'unneccsssary' it turned out to be.

Xerxész

Why he can`t have mask and troophies and stuff? Just Uber-lycan all the way.

He does have stuff.
The harpoon weapon and the ion cannon. And we still haven't seen the latter in action. Quite sure it's more powerful than a simple plasmacaster.
Also, he has this kinda chameleon-like defense (offense?) mechanism which wasn't in the script.
Who knows what else has he got? (Most likely nothing...but...we can hope! :D  ;D)

BigDaddyJohn

why he has to be poor looking?

All tastes are in nature

Really

Bulky armor is garbage from Paul Writes Shit Anderson. I loved jungle hunter ghost and wolf. That's the predator to me. I'm not to fond of the fugitive armor just a try hard version of samurai armor and the bio mask is just ridiculous looking to me. Thankfully they went back to making HIM agile and athletic very happy with Brian Prince' performance from what I've seen. And the upgrade is looking great to me

SiL

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 24, 2018, 12:26:51 PM

Indeed. And look how 'unneccsssary' it turned out to be.
It's only in four of the eight films, and two of those were cameo appearances. So pretty unnecessary in the long run, to be honest.

Master

@Azamultic
Are these artists really? Cause you know, I`d like something more from them then the lowest common denominator.

Quote from: Xerxész on Aug 24, 2018, 12:27:42 PM
Why he can`t have mask and troophies and stuff? Just Uber-lycan all the way.

He does have stuff.
The harpoon weapon and the ion cannon. And we still haven't seen the latter in action. Quite sure it's more powerful than a simple plasmacaster.
Also, he has this kinda chameleon-like defense (offense?) mechanism which wasn't in the script.
Who knows what else has he got? (Most likely nothing...but...we can hope! :D  ;D)

Without the equipment it all seems abit magical and merry sue`ish, dosen`t it?

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 24, 2018, 12:33:34 PM
why he has to be poor looking?

All tastes are in nature

Aren`t they always.

azamultic

Quote from: Master on Aug 24, 2018, 01:44:48 PM
@Azamultic
Are these artists really? Cause you know, I`d like something more from them then the lowest common denominator.

Just wondering what is your specialty if it's not a secret ?  ;)
  Again you can love or hate designs, but you just straight up disrespecting the work of professionals or at least it sounds like you disrespecting. We can of course bring the logic "You don't need to be a cook ..." but for me personally if you just straight up disrespecting artist's work without knowing what goes into it looks pretty ignorant. Again not saying that you disrespecting these artists neither judging you, just feels like your attitude is like you know better what needs to be done, then professionals who does it, which always amusing me. But you are consumer and you have all rights for acting like that.
  Of course I can be wrong and you are actual a concept artist or a 3d modeler, or a sculptor and you just don't like the design and actually you are knowing how this all things are done, then I am resting my case and don't have nothing to say to you  ;D
  I personally not a fan of idea of Upgrade, the way he looks is good, but of course I would prefer  classic equipped predator, but that's just my taste, and I am not shiting on the artist who came up with this designs and got it approved(who knows maybe Upgrade and Captured predator may work on a long term). Again I didn't like the Wolf design or Celtice or Berserks, but I wouldn't call artists who did their design and say: Hey guys! You suck!  :P (of course it's exaggeration, but you get the point)

P.S. But in general I do agree that some designs do look ugly and some artists do  bad job.

Master

Quote from: azamultic on Aug 24, 2018, 02:03:10 PM
Quote from: Master on Aug 24, 2018, 01:44:48 PM
@Azamultic

Just wondering what is your specialty if it's not a secret ?  ;)
  Again you can love or hate designs, but you just straight up disrespecting the work of professionals or at least it sounds like you disrespecting. We can of course bring the logic "You don't need to be a cook ..." but for me personally if you just straight up disrespecting artist's work without knowing what goes into it looks pretty ignorant. Again not saying that you disrespecting these artists neither judging you, just feels like your attitude is like you know better what needs to be done, then professionals who does it, which always amusing me. But you are consumer and you have all rights for acting like that.
  Of course I can be wrong and you are actual a concept artist or a 3d modeler, or a sculptor and you just don't like the design and actually you are knowing how this all things are done, then I am resting my case and don't have nothing to say to you  ;D
  I personally not a fan of idea of Upgrade, the way he looks is good, but of course I would prefer  classic equipped predator, but that's just my taste, and I am not shiting on the artist who came up with this designs and got it approved(who knows maybe Upgrade and Captured predator may work on a long term). Again I didn't like the Wolf design or Celtice or Berserks, but I wouldn't call artists who did their design and say: Hey guys! You suck!  :P (of course it's exaggeration, but you get the point)

P.S. But in general I do agree that some designs do look ugly and some artists do  bad job.

I`m medical doctor, ophthalmologist in making and junior ceo of small hospital. I do draw and write in my spare time and did take classes in drawing and painting when I was younger.

Both Upgrade and predator dog in TP seems to be product of thesame general thinking. Upgrade? Big body + dreadlocks and predator mouth! Predator Dog? Dog body + dreadlocks and predator mouth! Viola.
Seriously, you can do much much more to achive desired  feelings in viewer, then this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed