AvPGalaxy Exclusive: Details on The Predator Reshoots!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 06, 2018, 12:03:56 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Exclusive: Details on The Predator Reshoots! (Read 56,279 times)

KiramidHead

The script promised fresh ideas. These changes just make the third act into a compressed retread of the original Predator. I have no idea how just another hunt is supposed make sense as the payoff for the first two acts.

Quote from: Master on Jul 06, 2018, 07:56:03 PM
Not very gentle, but he is right Boss.  Autism is a serious condition, not superpower and kid deciphering alien language is stupid as hell.

Supposedly the autism angle wasn't present in the first test screening.

MudButt

My biggest complaint was just how bats**t it got in that 3rd act. People hanging on the outsides of flying ships, characters being killed off without any sort of reaction from other characters, and some of the dialogue got really bad towards the end. I don't like the description of Upgrade letting the main characters escape only to come after them once they do, that doesn't make any sense. Crazy that they'd shoot an entire APC action sequence and then cut it from the film but that's movie making. Let's not forget that first teaser from Rogue One is completely made up of shots that never made it in the movie  :D

I'm just glad the character deaths are changed. Now I won't know what to expect.

KiramidHead

The ending definitely needed scaling back, that's for sure. This is going way too far. It's just going to be a bunch of guys running around in the f**king woods.

Tetsujin

Tetsujin

How many pred dogs are left after reshoots...  Just one ???

And this scenes was deleted: 1  2  3  4  5    ???

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: MudButt on Jul 06, 2018, 08:01:34 PM
My biggest complaint was just how bats**t it got in that 3rd act. People hanging on the outsides of flying ships, characters being killed off without any sort of reaction from other characters, and some of the dialogue got really bad towards the end. I don't like the description of Upgrade letting the main characters escape only to come after them once they do, that doesn't make any sense. Crazy that they'd shoot an entire APC action sequence and then cut it from the film but that's movie making. Let's not forget that first teaser from Rogue One is completely made up of shots that never made it in the movie  :D

I'm just glad the character deaths are changed. Now I won't know what to expect.

That's what i was thinking when i read the script. The lack of reaction after each death was baffling. And some deaths felt really rushed, others felt like it was big nods to the predator mythos, but way too forced. And even from a technical/physical point of view, how do you even achieve some of those kills in a believable way  :laugh:

Yautja_Warrior

I think they should have reworked the team up angle, making it better, instead of just cutting it completely.

They could have had the 2 Predator's come to rescue the captured Predator or just have 3 captured Predator's and when the Super shows up, they are out matched and have to team up with the soldiers to survive and take it down.

That would have been less silly than 2 of them working for the government. Predator 2 shows they can have respect for humans, so it's not totally out of character. AvP did the team up thing badly but it could be done well, if handled right.

Cutting them out also cuts a big action scene (the APC chase) and cutting action scenes out of an action movie doesn't sound so great. It looked like it would be a cool scene from the trailer.

frenchfries

I'm actually really happy with these changes. Sounded like they had way too much going on in the previous cuts. I just want a solid Shane black predator film, I don't need a bunch of new stuff for the sake of having new stuff. And I am surprised that people are disappointed with a third act that consists of a hunt..in the forest...IN A PREDATOR MOVIE. That's like complaining that a saw movie ends with booby traps.

Lionhart

Quote from: frenchfries on Jul 06, 2018, 08:26:10 PM
I'm actually really happy with these changes. Sounded like they had way too much going on in the previous cuts. I just want a solid Shane black predator film, I don't need a bunch of new stuff for the sake of having new stuff. And I am surprised that people are disappointed with a third act that consists of a hunt..in the forest...IN A PREDATOR MOVIE. That's like complaining that a saw movie ends with booby traps.
+1

yautjapet

yautjapet

I'm genuinely upset about this. I'm glad the hybrids are cut, I never liked that, but I was really looking forward to seeing the two "defector" predators and learning what was going on with them. Sure, I cringed a little at their US army get-up, but I enjoy pred/human team-ups. My main beef with the script was the DNA angle, and I never liked the "bigger and better super monster" thing... so after Captive dies, we essentially have no predator except for the Upgrade? Wow. I seem to be in the minority with my negative reaction but what can I say, I'm very disappointed. 

Dusk

Quote from: Yautja_Warrior on Jul 06, 2018, 08:15:38 PM
I think they should have reworked the team up angle, making it better, instead of just cutting it completely.

They could have had the 2 Predator's come to rescue the captured Predator or just have 3 captured Predator's and when the Super shows up, they are out matched and have to team up with the soldiers to survive and take it down.

That would have been less silly than 2 of them working for the government. Predator 2 shows they can have respect for humans, so it's not totally out of character. AvP did the team up thing badly but it could be done well, if handled right.

Cutting them out also cuts a big action scene (the APC chase) and cutting action scenes out of an action movie doesn't sound so great. It looked like it would be a cool scene from the trailer.

This is how I would have done it. At one point in the Movie, there'd be a slaughter fest. Upgrade tears through Predators and humans alike. Our main cast notices that Upgrade and the other Predators aren't friendly with each other, and if he kills all 3 Predators, there's nothing to stop Upgrade from going after them. So this would be where we get the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" scenario. The main cast attacks Upgrade from behind, giving the other Predators just enough time to barely escape with their lives. And because the Predators have a "I don't want to owe those humans anything" attitude, they return the favor with a reluctant team up.

I'd keep the momentum fast paced, the adrenaline is rushing through them, they don't have time to discuss teaming up together. Imagine the APC scene like this, the main cast is fighting off Upgrade from the APC, one of the soldiers manning the turret gets his head blown off by Upgrade. Then moments later, one of the Predators lands on the APC with a loud thud, gets behind the turret and unleashes hell on Upgrade.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: frenchfries on Jul 06, 2018, 08:26:10 PM

But that's what every predator film boils down too, God forbid they actually try to give us something fresh and new. "Predators don't just sit around making hats out of rib cages, they conquered space." was a great line because it implies that the predators actually have a master plan for their race but now it seems we're just going to get a few lines of dialogue hinting at a much more interesting story while we have to watch a predator "make hats out of rib cages" again, just like all the other films. This will be just like Alien Covenant where they decided to push aside the interesting ideas of Prometheus so we can watch a semi-remake of the original Alien. It just reeks of the Hollywood mentality of "play it safe" that's why the recent Star Wars films are just rehashes of whatever they can pull from the OT. That's why Marvel is stuck doing the same thing over and over again and that's why we'll probably never get to see more of the engineers.

Danversity

Friendly reminder that the creatures having been cut out does NOT mean the movie isn't fresh anymore. Whenever Black talks about the freshness this movie brings to the franchise, not once is he talking about "different creatures" or "new monsters" or whatever. Sure, the friendly Preds having been cut out is one less new thing, but what Black means is freshness from a story perspective, a character writing perspective, a scope perspective. He's always talking about the Predators' agenda - that's been mentioned in the latest trailer too - THAT's the main source of freshness this film has to offer. That's what matters and it is still there. It still is a big budget Predator film, which by itself means this will be very different from the previous ones. And forget about the script for once, that was an early draft and the movie was surely already gonna differ from it even before the reshoots. I agree that the friendly Preds could've ruined the film depending on how they were portrayed - and tbh the idea of having 4 Predators in a movie called "THE Predator" kinda bothered me a little -, maybe it was a good thing they were cut out. Maybe the hybrid creatures could've stayed, if there's good reason for them to be there, I don't know, I haven't seen the film yet, maybe they will make it to the final cut of the movie. Point is I don't believe for a second that the movie has lost its freshness because of these changes.

And oh my freaking god it's infuriating to read those deranged comments about the kid.

frenchfries

Quote from: Danversity on Jul 06, 2018, 08:52:56 PM
Friendly reminder that the creatures having been cut out does NOT mean the movie isn't fresh anymore. Whenever Black talks about the freshness this movie brings to the franchise, not once is he talking about "different creatures" or "new monsters" or whatever. Sure, the friendly Preds having been cut out is one less new thing, but what Black means is freshness from a story perspective, a character writing perspective, a scope perspective. He's always talking about the Predators' agenda - that's been mentioned in the latest trailer too - THAT's the main source of freshness this film has to offer. That's what matters and it is still there. It still is a big budget Predator film, which by itself means this will be very different from the previous ones. And forget about the script for once, that was an early draft and the movie was surely already gonna differ from it even before the reshoots. I agree that the friendly Preds could've ruined the film depending on how they were portrayed - and tbh the idea of having 4 Predators in a movie called "THE Predator" kinda bothered me a little -, maybe it was a good thing they were cut out. Maybe the hybrid creatures could've stayed, if there's good reason for them to be there, I don't know, I haven't seen the film yet, maybe they will make it to the final cut of the movie. Point is I don't believe for a second that the movie has lost its freshness because of these changes.

And oh my freaking god it's infuriating to read those deranged comments about the kid.
YES exactly. Taking out those elements doesn't mean it lost its freshness. The hunt aspect of these films are what makes the creature unique in the first place...it sounded like the original cuts were getting into "invasion" territory which would just make it into another generic alien invasion movie. I rather have a suspenseful tactical final fight, as opposed to a battle, jammed packed with creatures.

YTL_Hunter_H2

I'm happy the cammo preds are gone. Leave that crap with predators shooting guns in the comics and arcade game. Happy the hybrids are gone too. People keep saying the franchise needs to make bold moves but in my opinion if something isn't broke it doesn't need to be fixed. Keeping predator the way the original and 2nd were would be great for me. And the only way a kid should be given any dialogue in a predator film is if he's saying want some candy. Shane black had to be high as a giraffes was when he wrote this script.

Lionhart

Quote from: YTL_Hunter_H2 on Jul 06, 2018, 08:59:09 PM
I'm happy the cammo preds are gone. Leave that crap with predators shooting guns in the comics and arcade game. Happy the hybrids are gone too. People keep saying the franchise needs to make bold moves but in my opinion if something isn't broke it doesn't need to be fixed. Keeping predator the way the original and 2nd were would be great for me. And the only way a kid should be given any dialogue in a predator film is if he's saying want some candy. Shane black had to be high as a giraffes was when he wrote this script.
+1

For those who say the franchise needs to make bold moves, go watch avp or predators.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed