May 10th Preview Screening

Started by RidgeTop, May 05, 2018, 09:27:58 PM

Author
May 10th Preview Screening (Read 20,816 times)

happypred

happypred

I predict this film will at best be around the quality of Predators

Lionhart

Lionhart

Quote from: happypred on May 26, 2018, 05:49:22 AM
I predict this film will at best be around the quality of Predators

I think its gonna be better than predators.

Highland

Highland

I'll take that, Predators was decent.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I think that's optimistic.

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 26, 2018, 10:32:52 AM

What's wrong with optimism? Does everyone on this forum need too be pessimistic about the new film?

Master

Master

You didn't understand.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Master on May 26, 2018, 11:12:28 AM
You didn't understand.

That the script sucks and is "full" of stupid ideas ? That the teaser seems to match with it ? Even though it's only a teaser (a generic one though) and the script is old ?

Optimism isn't a delusional behavior trust me, it's based on the fact that Shane Black is talented, more than the previous directors of the previous recent movies, so that's enough to be a little optimistic, though remaining cautious about some other things seems legit too.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on May 26, 2018, 11:11:04 AM

What's wrong with optimism? Does everyone on this forum need too be pessimistic about the new film?

You say pessimistic, I say realistic.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 26, 2018, 12:27:53 PM
Optimism isn't a delusional behavior trust me,

It is when the facts point away from it.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 26, 2018, 12:47:28 PM

Facts that have been through changes (the script), i can agree, so let's see how that turns out... With a little bit of optimism, Black is still good  ;)

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

That's your prerogative.

Not that you said as much, but, I find the fact that you replying to someone's post. Which shows a smidge of optimism with pessimism, as if that viewpoint is the only valid one?

Here's the truth, broad strokes of an old leaked script seem the same for the most part. Also fact, the entire third act was reshot. Finally none of us have seen the film yet. Until then your pessimism isn't realistic, it's your opinion. There is a difference.

I'm gonna play this one cautiously optimistic personally. From the interviews from the cast and crew along with Black himself I choose to believe that this film could be something special.

QuoteYou didn't understand.

What pray-tell was it that I " Didn't understand "?

426Buddy

426Buddy

So many opinions being paraded around as facts. Whatever you think of the new film or its story, its just your opinion. Some people like the ideas and some don't, either way its your opinion.

Anyway, it would be wise to wait and see they film for yourself before totally condemning or approving it. I think its pretty unfair to all the folks who make films, that their work is already been judged before a single scene has even been filmed. Nobody working on this film is trying make a bad movie and im sure Black passionately wants deliver something everyone (including fans) will enjoy. I dont think its too much to ask for fans to give it a fair shake before all the vitriolic hyperbole.

Hollywood

Hollywood

How we view the facts still boils down to taste, though, and that justifies the varying amounts of optimism/pessimism/expectations. Some absolutely loathe the DNA plot point while others are fine with it, some will like the humor and others will dislike it, etc. If you hate the way the majority of things sound, then yeah, you'd be delusional to expect this to be better than 'Predators' (depending on your opinion of 'Predators').

I don't hate anything so far honestly so I'm still cautiously optimistic.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

While I like Predators, it lacks a certain flow. I'm pretty sure Black is better in that department.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on May 26, 2018, 02:25:34 PM
That's your prerogative.

Yeah.  :)

Not that you said as much, but, I find the fact that you replying to someone's post.

I've made my position on the film pretty clear up to this point. I don't want it to be bad. I want the next installment in this series not to just be "as good as Predators" but to be exactly, in the broad sense, what Shane Black talked about in the early interviews. Something that hits with a big splash.

The series has not had a great entry since the first film. 1987. It's a little overdue. Yes, I want Black to make a great movie.

Which shows a smidge of optimism with pessimism, as if that viewpoint is the only valid one?

No. We have had numerous people blanket imply and outright state that there seems to be an infestation of negativity about the movie, and that anyone that feels that way is just out to watch the film crash and burn. "Just haters." The tired cry of people who do not like to hear critical response.

It is blindly optimistic to think this film is going to rank high.

If it comes out, and it's amazing, then that'll be a mother f*cking lottery and a strike by lightning scenario. 

Here's the truth, broad strokes of an old leaked script seem the same for the most part.

Just about everything in the teaser, is in the script. With the exception of two lines of dialogue. Fact.

The leaked photos from the set correspond to the script. All of the confirmed characters are in the script. The main plot synopsis has not been altered in the blurbs and press releases.

Also fact, the entire third act was reshot.

HAHA! No, it wasn't. They did reshoots. They did not reshoot the entire third act. Those are two titanically different scenarios. It's also fairly evident that what they changed was general tone.

That also would not change the fundamental issues with the films premise.

People keep talking about reshoots, reshoots. Reshoots won't, will not, change the fundamental core failings of the films plot, character, or story direction. You would need a page 1 rewrite and have to throw out a tone of stuff before it would go from being a bad starting point, to something decent.

Shane Black can make the pictures pretty, sure. He can direct actors, absolutely. He's good at comedy, atmosphere, pacing. yes. But he cannot fix via his directing skill the broken ass screenplay.

I haven't even brought up one of my main gripes, something I know will not change in the final film. The treatment of the
Spoiler
classic predators.
[close]
Not only are they poorly written, but they're underutilized and
Spoiler
given the JP3 treatment. Taken out without the "upgrade" even slowing his stride. One of these "good" Predators even makes a reference to how the situation is unwinnable. What f**king Predator would say that? It's supposed to sound intense, but it seems like something a chicken shit nerd character would say, not a bad ass Predator toting a machine gun.
[close]
I bet you, I f**king bet that doesn't change.

Finally none of us have seen the film yet. Until then your pessimism isn't realistic, it's your opinion. There is a difference.

In reality, when something looks like it's gone sour, it probably has gone sour. That's having a realistic perspective.

From the interviews from the cast and crew along with Black himself I choose to believe that this film could be something special.

Interviews  never mean anything. It's PR fluff.

Quote from: Hollywood on May 26, 2018, 02:49:34 PM
How we view the facts still boils down to taste, though, and that justifies the varying amounts of optimism/pessimism/expectations. Some absolutely loathe the DNA plot point while others are fine with it, some will like the humor and others will dislike it, etc. If you hate the way the majority of things sound, then yeah, you'd be delusional to expect this to be better than 'Predators' (depending on your opinion of 'Predators').

Hey if you enjoy
Spoiler
Predator spiders
[close]
and
Spoiler
the autistic kid being the ultimate Predator according to "the upgrade"
[close]
and
Spoiler
adult goonies
[close]
and
Spoiler
classic predators getting cut down without even getting a shot off
[close]
then this film will be for you.

Quote from: skull-splitter on May 26, 2018, 03:13:25 PM
While I like Predators, it lacks a certain flow. I'm pretty sure Black is better in that department.

See, again, the big problems with Predators were back in the script. There was something lacking at the screenplay stage. No director can fix that. Predators needed another draft.

Hollywood

Hollywood

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 26, 2018, 03:45:30 PM
Quote from: Hollywood on May 26, 2018, 02:49:34 PM

Hey if you enjoy
Spoiler
Predator spiders
[close]
and
Spoiler
the autistic kid being the ultimate Predator according to "the upgrade"
[close]
and
Spoiler
adult goonies
[close]
and
Spoiler
classic predators getting cut down without even getting a shot off
[close]
then this film will be for you.

Maybe, but I haven't seen how it's executed yet  :) I have a feeling I'll definitely like the characters though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed