Was Kane and Oram really equally stupid?

Started by The Cruentus, Mar 19, 2018, 04:16:23 PM

Was Kane and Oram really equally stupid?

Yes, they were both equally stupid.
No, Oram had foreknowledge that Kane didn't yet still looked into the egg.
No, Kane was stupider as he wasn't coaxed into looking into the egg.
Neither of them were stupid, just too curious for their own good.
Author
Was Kane and Oram really equally stupid? (Read 43,859 times)

The Cruentus

Quote from: PsyKore on Jun 05, 2018, 04:24:12 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 29, 2018, 04:31:01 PM
Well I don't know about listening to the fans since odd things keep cropping up in the franchise despite the reactions to it but A:CM was ignored by them when it was originally supposed to be canon.

This doesn't make sense. Things keep cropping up because they try different things after the fact. The problem is after they try something, the fans then hate the new thing they tried.

I hardly call the rapid life-cycle that has appeared in three of the movies so far, a new thing, no one likes it(or at least majority don't since I am sure there is some that don't care) yet Fox or someone keeps putting it in. It makes the Alien even less plausible, nothing can grow that fast, not without burning up and killing itself and the host during incubation.

The Old One

The Old One

I'd rather the life cycle took longer, I've done quite a few drawings on what I think their adolescent stages might look like. Inspired by the idea of the Covenant Chestburster emerging from the classic Chestburster.

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 05, 2018, 11:51:46 AM
I hardly call the rapid life-cycle that has appeared in three of the movies so far, a new thing, no one likes it(or at least majority don't since I am sure there is some that don't care) yet Fox or someone keeps putting it in. It makes the Alien even less plausible, nothing can grow that fast, not without burning up and killing itself and the host during incubation.

It's like someone poured Medusa's blood on them.

PsyKore

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 05, 2018, 11:51:46 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Jun 05, 2018, 04:24:12 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 29, 2018, 04:31:01 PM
Well I don't know about listening to the fans since odd things keep cropping up in the franchise despite the reactions to it but A:CM was ignored by them when it was originally supposed to be canon.

This doesn't make sense. Things keep cropping up because they try different things after the fact. The problem is after they try something, the fans then hate the new thing they tried.

I don't think it's been a main contention outside of fan circles, so yes - no one cares. In the first film it's incubation is slow and deliberately suspenseful because we're being introduced to the creature. In the sequels it isn't emphasised on as much, or sped up, simply because we know what the creature is. I used to not agree with it myself after AvP, but after Covenant I am able to consider the possibility. And what is plausible about this creature to begin with?

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I have heard plenty of non fans complain how short the life-cycle was in AVP, you don't need to be a fan to watch all the movies or understand the lore. As I said though, some probably didn't mind it.

Quite a few things, though the Alien does take it to the extreme. I remember that some ants have acid in them, you got eels with double jaws, parasites that incubate in hosts, insects with exo/endo skeletons. The Alien borrows from a lot of earth species and who knows what life is out there and what form it would, some of the alien traits are possible if unlikely.

Rapid growth would be impossible, especially for its size and complexity, both host and Alien would cook if they grew in minutes or seconds.

SM

I don't think it growing to full size in an hour or two would make much difference in that regard.

The Cruentus

That is true, the growth of the species is definitely one of the less plausible part of them but hours is not as ridiculous as minutes, hell, in covenant it was visibly growing in seconds.

I can suspend my disbelief for hours long life-cycle, but in my opinion, its harder to take the Xenomorph seriously when it is growing in seconds.

SM

They set it up with the Neomorph.  If we saw an Alien in the one of the original films for any length of time we'd probably see it growing too.

Except the Fiorina one.

OpenMaw

They f**ked it up. No matter how you slice it.

Alien through Alien 3 kept things consistent.

Yes, there is some plausibility to the Alien life cycle up to the third film. Some. Mostly on a conceptual level the idea is at least somewhat sound. At the very least all three films took deliberate steps to at least try to retain a sense of passing time. That the creature would seek out seclusion after being born and grow to adulthood. There's an attempt to make it believable, perfect or no.

Seems like AVP forward they just don't care to try and make it believable. Either "kewl" or arty farty.

SM

How does Alien 3 get a pass?  (That was rhetorical).

It's not consistent.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Jun 12, 2018, 02:21:50 AM
How does Alien 3 get a pass?  (That was rhetorical).

It's not consistent.

How doesn't it get a pass? The life cycle stays in pace with the previous two films. The only thing that's out of order is the shape and size of the creature when it emerges from Spike.

SM

One egg, one hugger produces two Aliens.  The first of which doesn't reach full size for at least 10 hours or thereabouts.

Local Trouble

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 12, 2018, 02:25:25 AM
The only thing that's out of order is the shape and size of the creature when it emerges from Spike.

You should fix that too.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jun 12, 2018, 02:36:02 AM
One egg, one hugger produces two Aliens.  The first of which doesn't reach full size for at least 10 hours or thereabouts.

Movie magic.

The Old One

The Old One

Well, unless you watch the Assembly Cut and it appears like there is two Facehuggers, one regular we see in the opening and one we see by Babe.

The egg has always been a problem in 3.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed