I don't get the complaints about using Jerry Goldsmith's theme

Started by Scorpio, Feb 13, 2018, 11:09:38 AM

Author
I don't get the complaints about using Jerry Goldsmith's theme (Read 4,860 times)

SM

SM

I liked the fact they used it as a main theme when so much of it was removed as a main theme in Alien.

SiL

I agree, I think Covenant's score was a great mix of old and new. Nowhere near as obnoxious as something like AvPR.

BishopShouldGo

The music during the backburster was some of the franchise's best.

shawsbaby

The music during the chestburster/discovery of Shaw's body is so beautiful, it actually brings tears to my eyes when I watch that scene. I'm sure if I watch it on mute, I might giggle at the silliness of the Oscar statuette alien conducting a symphony, but the entire composition is quite effective.

I also love David playing the Prometheus theme on the flute because it recontextualizes that music, takes away its optimism and wonder, and makes it a f**ked up tribute to Shaw composed by David, puts him in control of the narrative all along. Chilling, and very clever.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Feb 13, 2018, 09:47:43 PM
Which scene are you referring to?
Wheat field scene. Starts right after Oram ques it in with "Let's go find out ghost".

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Feb 14, 2018, 04:54:53 AM
Wheat field scene. Starts right after Oram cues it in with "Let's go find out ghost".

I just replayed it. Yea, certainly recognizable, but I wouldn't call it 'in your face.' In fact I would even say it is somewhat subtle, and I don't know that they added it strictly to pander to fanboys as you suggest. The dialogue is clearly the dominate audio at that moment. But maybe my digital copy has different playback characteristics, where as whatever version you have amplifies that soundtrack passage more so than what I hear, I don't know. If you were referring to when you saw it at the theater, I can't relate there since I never saw it at the theater.

Scorpio

A theme used 4 or 5 times briefly is not exactly 'in your face', considering Ridley Scott did the first one.  Why do I say that?  Well nobody complains about Predator 2 score being very similar to the first, that is because Alan Silvestri returned.  Unfortunately, Jerry Goldsmith was unavailable, having passed away in 2004.

The score for Predators is basically a homage score, so compare Covenant to Predators score.  When they even use 'Long Tall Sally' with no context in the movie except homage, although I understand this is a common criticism.

But why can't Alien have a 'series theme'?  Star Wars has it, Terminator has it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 14, 2018, 07:41:16 AM
The score for Predators is basically a homage score, so compare Covenant to Predators score.  When they even use 'Long Tall Sally' with no context in the movie except homage, although I understand this is a common criticism.

It was used in the credits. Wasn't even "in the film" so to speak. And I don't think Predator 2 had too much in the way of a unique score did it?

QuoteBut why can't Alien have a 'series theme'?  Star Wars has it, Terminator has it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it but when we've got a few movies in between that don't have any sort of regular theme, it doesn't become a series theme, just another throwback to Alien. Like I said though, I don't actually mind it now. I do really like Covenant's theme and have mellowed out to the re-use of Goldsmith's stuff.

Scorpio

The credits are part of the film, yes, so any music you put on during the credits is important.  Particularly as soon as the movie ends.  Long Tall Sally started playing as soon as the movie ended and the credits started, which means everyone is going to hear it, regardless if you stay to watch the credits.

Long Tall Sally has absolutely nothing to with the movie, except for the fact it is a sequel to Predator.

Although to tell you truth, I didn't mind it, Predators did not have much of its own identity so including as many homages seemed to work in its favour.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 14, 2018, 08:58:18 AM
just another throwback to Alien.

That's debatable.  That theme is just part of Alien's score, it doesn't have any meaning specific to the movie, like Long Tall Sally.  You could put that theme in any movie.  Alien doesn't really have a theme, anyway.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 14, 2018, 11:18:50 AM
The credits are part of the film, yes, so any music you put on during the credits is important.  Particularly as soon as the movie ends.  Long Tall Sally started playing as soon as the movie ended and the credits started, which means everyone is going to hear it, regardless if you stay to watch the credits.

Long Tall Sally has absolutely nothing to with the movie, except for the fact it is a sequel to Predator.

Although to tell you truth, I didn't mind it, Predators did not have much of its own identity so including as many homages seemed to work in its favour.

I still believe that's a really overblown statement. Anyone would think it's a blow-by-blow replay of Predator but it really isn't. And Long Tall Sally was nothing more than a fun callback to the original outside of the actual film. And personally, I think it's more of a nit-pick to complain about the songs used in the credits than it is for songs used within the actual film itself.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 14, 2018, 08:58:18 AM
That's debatable.  That theme is just part of Alien's score, it doesn't have any meaning specific to the movie, like Long Tall Sally.  You could put that theme in any movie.  Alien doesn't really have a theme, anyway.

If not a callback to Alien, what is it then? It's an identifiable part of Alien's musical identity and it's a very obvious inclusion in Covenant. It's a clear callback to the original film.

But to be honest, I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here? That Long Tall Sally is more identifiable to Predator than Goldsmith's music is to Alien? And if so, what about it?

Scorpio

Long Tall Sally is playing in the helicopter, on Blaine's stereo, then later Mac is singing it when going after the predator.  It's actually part of the film.  Like Dallas playing classical music in the shuttle, if that particular piece, or Lucky Star, was used, then I would understand.. inappropriate.

Highland

It's a cool throw back to the original. Pleases the small band of old schoolers and means probably nothing to the new schoolers.

Doesn't bother anyone really, apart from El Scrorpio.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 14, 2018, 01:03:48 PM
Long Tall Sally is playing in the helicopter, on Blaine's stereo, then later Mac is singing it when going after the predator.  It's actually part of the film.  Like Dallas playing classical music in the shuttle, if that particular piece, or Lucky Star, was used, then I would understand.. inappropriate.

I'm still not seeing your point? No-one in Predators is singing it. It's not just playing in the background of this moon while everyone is trudging around.

Gash

Love the wheat field scene for the way it subtly recaptures the menace of finding the egg 'field' in ALIEN. There's something to be wary of in this paradise.

Silly to call it a service to fanboys, it's a much smarter callback (or call forward) to the dormant menace that they are exploring.

Scorpio

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 14, 2018, 01:56:22 PM

I'm still not seeing your point? No-one in Predators is singing it. It's not just playing in the background of this moon while everyone is trudging around.

The point is that Long Tall Sally is not just part of the soundtrack, it's part of the script of Predator.

Long Tall Sally has nothing do with Predators at all, it's not even shoehorned in as a cute reference. 

It doesn't belong in the film, it's the cheesiest kind of homage.

It would be like if Covenant put 'You Are My Lucky Star' over the credits.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed