Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 252,493 times)

Alionic

Perhaps you should stop posting the first inanities that pop into your head? A:R, AVP, and AVP:R were bad, yes, but they turned in substantial profits for the studio; which means they did keep the series relevant. You can't be objective about anything, can you?

I'm assuming that poster was primarily referring to the production design on Covenant when he said "Grade A treatment,' which is true, if he did.

reecebomb

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 24, 2017, 02:35:59 AM
Perhaps you should stop posting the first inanities that pop into your head? A:R, AVP, and AVP:R were bad, yes, but they turned in substantial profits for the studio; which means they did keep the series relevant. You can't be objective about anything, can you?

I'm assuming that poster was primarily referring to the production design on Covenant when he said "Grade A treatment,' which is true, if he did.

Please! So what if they turned profits, they are products, that's what products do, turn profits. That doesn't mean they should be regarded as a proper representation of Alien, AvP are uncanon spinoffs nothing more.  And if even drivel like that (AvP films, AvP 1 wasn't that terrible, still bad though) were able to turn profits that surely means Alien wasn't exaclty cooked was it.
A:R certainly did the Alien series no favours, but do you realize Alien Resurrection isn't regarded overall as being substantially worse than Covenant, metascore 63 vs 65, imdb 6.2 vs 6.5 and critics were way more harsh back then. Back then Covenant score would have probably been in the low thirties.
Aliens:Colonial Marines was complete thrash by your misguided logic Alien:Isolation should have not been made.

Prometheus looked very beautiful, sometimes too beautiful with perfectly lit faces that made it feel like a posh commercial than gritty sci-fi. Covenant looked surprisingly average coming from Ridley with a 100mil.

Scorpio

AVP made profit because a lot of people wanted to see AVP.  But they knew diminishing returns would affect it hence why they lowered the budgets on the AVP films.

Prometheus returned the series to 100m+ budgets and grade A filmmaking.

reecebomb

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 24, 2017, 03:20:14 AM
AVP made profit because a lot of people wanted to see AVP.  But they knew diminishing returns would affect it hence why they lowered the budgets on the AVP films.

Prometheus returned the series to 100m+ budgets and grade A filmmaking.

This doesn't really oppose what i've said maybe we aren't even arguing here, but agreeing. Official Alien prequel from Ridley Scott sells by itself.

Scorpio

That and a lot of people like it, judging by audience scores, except for the diehards.

reecebomb

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 24, 2017, 03:29:14 AM
That and a lot of people like it, judging by audience scores, except for the diehards.

I can understand why people like it, the landscape for high budget semi serious sci-fi couldn't be more barren these days. Now we had BR2049 and failed and the landscape will remain vacant for some time.

Huggs

Alrighty,

"I think they have to. There's no reason why Alien should now not be on the same level for fans as Star Trek and Star Wars. "

In the sense that the fans (star wars) aren't happy with the direction the films are going or the quality? Or in the sense that people love the quality of the older Alien films and want more like them instead sir?

"So I think the next step as to where we go is, do we sustain the Alien (series) with the evolution of the beast or do we reinvent something else?"

The current direction is not sustainable. Covenant made less money than Prometheus, and still received mixed reactions. This is a downward trend. I'd be hesitant to call this evolving, it's been more of a de-evolution to be quite frank. The beast has been reduced to the mere product of a lonely android's genocidal dreams. A horrific plaything used to deal punishment against his human family for not hugging him enough as a child. It is no longer a frightening abomination of otherworldy evolution.

" I think you need to have an evolution on this famous beast because he's the best monster ever, really."

So now he's the best, not some overcooked thing to be tossed aside? No disrespect to Mr. Scott, and I mean that with utmost sincerity. I just find this statement ironic given his previous comments regarding the creature. Perhaps a message is getting through.

"David is a fantastic villain"

Yes he is. He should not however be the main focus of a series of films with the word "Alien" in them.

"We lifted Alien out of a ditch and made Prometheus."

Which was also promptly driven into said ditch  (hands up!). Followed by Covenant, which filled the ditch with gasoline, set everything on fire, and spread until several of the things fans liked about the franchise was burned to the ground. Alien is still hanging from the crane, it's time to look to others for fresh ideas regarding how to get it down.

newagescamartist

Now that Disney is in control this franchise is going to get watered down and commercialized. I suspect in 10 years fans will be begging for the quality of Covenant and Prometheus. The xenomorph finally got interesting again with the last two movies. I hope we get the finale, but who knows at this point. I have no interest in rebooting Aliens for nostalgic purposes, but sadly that's where the money is and Disney loves the money more than anything else.

Huggs

"Now that Disney is in control this franchise is going to get watered down and commercialized"

You never know, Disney might do alright by the franchise. Not every Disney film will feature singing mice or Pirates. Then again, even if we get 5 years of pg-13 avp films, sometimes if you want to lose weight, you gotta eat your leafy greens. Should this happen, I suspect that once the creatures have delivered a substantial enough return or just paid for themselves, Disney will be more willing to take "one" single chance at something more mature or grandiose. Should that go the way of the prequels, then we'll be in trouble. Real, tangible, long-term trouble.

" I suspect in 10 years fans will be begging for the quality of Covenant and Prometheus."

Should I ever find myself begging for any film to be the quality of covenant, all is truly lost, and I will promptly give up television forever.  ;D

Gash

Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 24, 2017, 03:34:06 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 24, 2017, 03:29:14 AM

I can understand why people like it, the landscape for high budget semi serious sci-fi couldn't be more barren these days. Now we had BR2049 and failed and the landscape will remain vacant for some time.

Eh?

LV-12986

I'm starting to dislike Scott, puts a stop to alien 5 and produces covenant which wasn't the worst but you could tell he'd run out of new ideas and unpredictablity. The franchise is in free fall in my opinion if there was to be any kind of alien film released it would take something incredibly special.

I'd love to chuck 100m at blomkamp and finally see his alien 5.

Lacky

Lacky

Well the fans are sure turning out to be as divisive as Star Wars & Trek fans.

AVP-CAPCOM

I think Ridley Scott is clutching at straws here.

" the sequel was originally scheduled to begin pre-production in September 2017 but was shelved after the tepid box office response to Alien: Covenant"

"The sequel to Covenant was originally due to start preproduction this month in Sydney. After the box office results filming was cancelled, and a warehouse storage unit full of stuff was auctioned off a few months ago. So the original plan of pumping out another quickly has definitely changed with no immediate plans for anything." (reffering to Prometheus items auctioned off as code that the film had failed).

Also Ridley Scott cancelling his "ALIEN- PARADISE" film that would've been an exploration of the Engineer homeworld.

Listen. Get Disney to make Blomkamp's ALIEN-5 but let's get real not going to happen due to Weaver's supposed AVATAR 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 schedule and Michael Biehn collective ages.

Here's what we need.

Expanded ALIENS universe akin to Dark Horse comics based on Blomkamp's concept art, scale and tone. Skip the "Xenomorph Jurassic World raptor squad", or Ripley's biomechanical suit, daft idea.

Make an AVP3 set in the future. Make it dark, violent, using weapon's from ALIENS and updated Minigun from Predator.

Profit.

Scorpio

QuoteThe sequel to Covenant was originally due to start preproduction this month in Sydney. After the box office results filming was cancelled, and a warehouse storage unit full of stuff was auctioned off a few months ago. So the original plan of pumping out another quickly has definitely changed with no immediate plans for anything

That's just a rumour.  If Ridley says it's still happening then it's still happening.

Whos_Nick

Since when has any Alien film had a 100 million + budget prior to Prometheus and Covenant lol

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed