Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 252,489 times)

skhellter

It was said that Ridley was gonna bring in the "biomechanic" aesthetic more in the next films....
And David will most likely be the key to all that.

David is already kind of a biomechanoid himself,
what with his artificial body that "bleeds", and his need to "eat" to stay alive...

Maybe the Xeno will turn out to be
much more of a "machine" than everyone initially assumed.

AVPG needs to interview John Logan...
:P

CainsSon

Does it make sense that there would be more Davids or other Androids in cryo on the Covenant?

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Highland on Dec 05, 2017, 05:30:34 AMNow making a third movie without an Alien in it after just spending the second movie telling us what the Alien was....

Quote from: Highland on Dec 05, 2017, 06:15:35 AMSo to fix that they are going back to what the they got criticised for in the first place.

All a bit strange.

Not sure where you get the idea there won't be any xenomorphs in the next movie.
I'm sure we'll still get to see them. They just won't be the main focus of the movie.

That's the movie business.
On the other hand, it's not that strange.
With Prometheus they chose to put leave it out. They thought it wasn't a good idea so they introduced it earlier.
Now they realised they made a mistake they go back to something closer to the original vision.

Highland

I can see see some cool ideas with David tinkering with the goo, just not sure about a whole movie of that. Unless he gives us some different creatures, I'd be game for that too.

He's just not doing himself any favours with the running commentary. Most people in business would say generic things like " we are really excited' , it's going to be awesome", Scott is telling you he's going to cook you a meal and don't be disappointed if it tastes shit because there's a good chance it will.

skhellter

Quote from: CainsSon on Dec 05, 2017, 07:03:59 AM
Does it make sense that there would be more Davids or other Androids in cryo on the Covenant?

If there were, David would steal their bodies. Maybe even upload himself onto a new, self-regenerating body a la Walter.

joylit

joylit

It will probably be the biggest bomb Ridley Scott's ever delivered. I don't see Fox paying for big press events and premieres for something like that. Produced under the Fox Searchlight label maybe? A prestige movie with no prestige... just filled with rotten, rehashed ideas that were done in the 70's. We will have to wait for after 2020 for a real Alien movie to be made. Unless Disney comes to the rescue en ends this craziness.

And they won't even bother to invite the youtube bloggers and forums people because this time the hate will be instantaneous.

Highland

Didn't he say a this stuff before anyway? I remember him bangin on about those Facebook robots before.

Rudiger

Colonists turned into eggs...engineers steal eggs...David does some crazy AI shit...David gets switched off...engineer ship crashes onto LV426...engineer dies after setting up beacon...enter Nostromo stage left. Scott claims film will scare the crap out of everyone. It doesn't. McG announced as director of next instalment.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Without having read the rest of this thread yet, I just want to say that I liked Fassbender and I liked David, even the Dr Moreau stuff going on with him in Covenant. If Scott wants to make a film about David, creating weird lifeforms as a weapon against mankind I say go ahead! Go and make Prometheus 3 or David: The Film, just don't shoehorn in the Aliens.

I'm not really interested in Scott's vision of the Alien. He clearly isn't interested in them any longer and you can feel that dispassion in Covenant. The film just falls apart for me when the Aliens are introduced. I'd rather a film focused on David with the Neomorphs or some other Alien-like creature, just not the Alien.

Quote from: trilobite on Dec 04, 2017, 08:49:37 PM
i'm totally for exploring the engineers more and their race and culture, i'm not in the group of people who believe david wiped out the entirely of the species in a:c

I hope they didn't. While I may really enjoy David, I do think Scott has wasted the potential of the Engineers/Jockeys with Prometheus and Covenant. I hope there are some out there somewhere, for someone with more interest to play with. I think Scott might be more at home making Blade Runner films.

Quote from: Aliens Exist on Dec 04, 2017, 10:49:26 PM
So I'm guessing the sequel won't have "Alien" in it's title.

Oh well, still looking forward to it.

If it's not an Alien film, then I'm not so bothered by this. If he wants to go and make Alien-less films within that universe, that's fine by me. That was not an issue I had with Prometheus.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Dec 05, 2017, 02:28:21 AM
With the Deacon at the end of Prometheus and only Neomorphs in Covenant the criticism would've just been 'Give us the Alien already'.

They did - and people whinge about that instead.

Audience reaction isn't one big binary thing though. There were a lot of people who liked what Prometheus was trying to do, but simply didn't like the execution. There were some who absolutely hated Prometheus from foundation to completion, and there are those that love it. This isn't one unanimous chorus of opinions here. They're all in conflict. Scott and Fox should not be concerning themselves with altering their plans to fit the audience. They should have a solid and cohesive game plan and stick to it. The problem is Scott seems to be all over the goddamn map from interview to interview, and it also ends up showing in the bedrock of these films. The focus keeps moving around.

The Alien does have the capacity to be imposing, intense, and threatening. The problem is these movies won't bother to take some time. Both directions have merit, but neither one has been given what it needs. For example I think the David stuff in Covenant was fascinating, but it feels really anemic. Like another twenty minutes of movie was supposed to be in there to really flesh out the relationship between David, the Covenant crew, Walter, and everything else.

joylit

And there it goes another percentage point in the Alien 5 Vs. Covenant 2 poll. Now officially more fans want to see Blomkamp's film. You just made it, Ridley!

Highland

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 05, 2017, 09:26:14 AM
With the Deacon at the end of Prometheus and only Neomorphs in Covenant the criticism would've just been 'Give us the Alien already'.

Audience reaction isn't one big binary thing though. There were a lot of people who liked what Prometheus was trying to do, but simply didn't like the execution. There were some who absolutely hated Prometheus from foundation to completion, and there are those that love it. This isn't one unanimous chorus of opinions here. They're all in conflict. Scott and Fox should not be concerning themselves with altering their plans to fit the audience. They should have a solid and cohesive game plan and stick to it. The problem is Scott seems to be all over the goddamn map from interview to interview, and it also ends up showing in the bedrock of these films. The focus keeps moving around.

The Alien does have the capacity to be imposing, intense, and threatening. The problem is these movies won't bother to take some time. Both directions have merit, but neither one has been given what it needs. For example I think the David stuff in Covenant was fascinating, but it feels really anemic. Like another twenty minutes of movie was supposed to be in there to really flesh out the relationship between David, the Covenant crew, Walter, and everything else.

Yeah for someone who's not concerned about criticism, he seems to bring it up a lot.  Maybe it's a dig at the studio, who knows.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 05, 2017, 05:29:57 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Dec 05, 2017, 12:51:36 AM
Looking forward to what Scott is offering.

This series needed a kick in the pants to shake off the dust and over used tropes. 

So far, Scott has done just that.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at.
I'm on the same page with both of you. I have no desire to see the story's direction "molded" to how I think it should unfold. I let the story teller tell his story.  I don't need to butt in my imagination into another person's story.

Alienon

Alienon

If RS can't work with xeno, then let him get out from the franchise!

We have Blade Runner for AI problems.

SM

Quote from: CainsSon on Dec 05, 2017, 07:03:59 AM

Waste of resources.  If you have more you could just switch them off.
Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 05, 2017, 09:26:14 AM

Of course audience reaction isn't binary, but that's kind of my point.  There are myriad opinions and Fox has to aim their product at a demographic that they hope will tick most boxes.  There's no point in sticking to a game plan when the audience aren't really buying it.  I do agree there should've been a long term plan.  Alien has never done this, but in these days of movie universes, when Spaihts pitched Engineers, they should've thrashed out a trilogy that would lead to Alien.

We may very well end up with something like that, but as you said, they'll have gone all over the map to get there.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed