Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 253,136 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 11, 2017, 11:59:26 PM
Not exactly, although you are partly right in that it is irresistible to come to that conclusion, given that many haters of the prequel films appear to be Aliens fans.  I could start a poll on this forum to prove my point, but that would most likely be viewed as trolling so I have not done so. 

That ultimately means nothing towards your persistent insistence that it was due to a lack of Pulse Rifles and action, Queen, power-loader or whatever. Feel free to throw up your poll, I've nothing wrong with that - it just doesn't reinforce your point unless you want to go off and give a load of extra reasons, one of which includes "because it didn't have enough pulse rifle action."

I like Alien, Aliens and Alien 3. I find Prometheus a frustrating film to watch and I enjoyed Covenant until the Alien was shoehorned in. It has nothing to do with Pulse Rifles or power-loaders. In fact, the action sequences in Covenant were part of what I didn't enjoy in Covenant. And you know what, it's becoming boring and insulting to keep seeing that crop up as an excuse from the usual suspects. I might just live up to my evil dictator name and add it to the rules that that isn't allowed.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Highland on Dec 12, 2017, 12:09:31 PM
Television is definitely getting the up on movies for me these days. The production budgets, directors and actors have all went up dramatically in the last 5-10 years. I'd much rather watch Stranger Things, West World, True Detective, GOT these days than sit down to another Tony Stark fest. Hearing good things about the new Star Wars , but then the last one got good reviews as well.

Another thing I've found myself doing is going back to the 80s and 90s and getting old sci-fi movies and watching those instead.

Not saying they are not making good movies these days, maybe I'm just gettin old or something!

This is also very true. It depresses me a little but Television is largely superior to Cinema now.

I've just started Mindhunter and its another excellent show.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Dec 12, 2017, 12:09:09 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2017, 11:25:33 AM
Whether you like Covenant or not (and Prometheus), in an age of endless Star Wars and super hero flicks, there's really nothing like Prometheus and Covenant.  They're doing things that no one expects.  Of course they're also doing things that some don't want.

But at least they're not rehashing the same story.

This is so true.
Yes and I love them for doing it. It also makes me feel great about taking those British literature classes in college. Totally worth the cash and effort. Who'd have thought you'd need a classical education to follow movies now a days.

Ingwar

Really?

Ship (Nostromo, Prometheus, Covenant) lands on the planet (LV-426, LV-223, Engineers' planet) and its crew find out Alien stuff and shit happens. Three similar movies made by the same person.

SiL

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 12, 2017, 08:26:03 AM
Though Alien-covenant.com forum seems to stay focused on Covenant for the most part with the occasional mention of other films.
Probably because it's new; I doubt it'll be around in five years, for example (or at least, not as focused).

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, that particular forum is just an arm of Scified. It was formerly prometheus-movie.com or something like that. It'll just rotate around to become alien-awakening.com or whatever if anything actually happens with that.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 12, 2017, 02:08:16 PM
Yeah, that particular forum is just an arm of Scified. It was formerly prometheus-movie.com or something like that. It'll just rotate around to become alien-awakening.com or whatever if anything actually happens with that.
Ahh okay thanks, I was wondering what happened to the prometheus forum.

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 12, 2017, 11:14:16 AM
Interestingly, people under 18 rate both movies higher than the rest.....
Actually, I had done extensive research for a site project a few years ago...... http://www.scifimoviezone.com/scifibestbyyear.shtml. Digging through various ratings sites, took a few months to compile it in spare time and I was surprised to find under 18 age bracket were very generous in their ratings for numerous old films. So much so, as I pulled up hundreds of movies, it seemed like almost too much. I'm talking a lot of 9.2's and higher.

It made me wonder if they are at that ratings stage of - every film is either a 10 or a 1, nothing in between. I'm not suggesting that age brackets' entire populace votes in that extreme. But I do wonder if a higher percentage of their age bracket votes that extreme more so than other age brackets.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Highland on Dec 12, 2017, 12:09:31 PM
Television is definitely getting the up on movies for me these days. The production budgets, directors and actors have all went up dramatically in the last 5-10 years. I'd much rather watch Stranger Things, West World, True Detective, GOT these days than sit down to another Tony Stark fest. Hearing good things about the new Star Wars , but then the last one got good reviews as well.

Another thing I've found myself doing is going back to the 80s and 90s and getting old sci-fi movies and watching those instead.

Not saying they are not making good movies these days, maybe I'm just gettin old or something!
I agree but many of those TV-series aren't that much better if you ask me. Can't watch GoT anymore because the series is so painfully inferior to the books, had to stop West World after 1 episode because it sucked. I watched the finale of Stranger Things on TV and while I'm sure the series has its moments, the finale just looked generic and boring to me.
TV definitely seems to have the leg up on cinema though, as the skill of actors increase and quality effects become cheaper. It's just becoming a way more flexible medium for story telling.

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 12, 2017, 02:42:20 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 12, 2017, 02:08:16 PM
Ahh okay thanks, I was wondering what happened to the prometheus forum.

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 12, 2017, 11:14:16 AM
Interestingly, people under 18 rate both movies higher than the rest.....
Actually, I had done extensive research for a site project a few years ago...... http://www.scifimoviezone.com/scifibestbyyear.shtml. Digging through various ratings sites, took a few months to compile it in spare time and I was surprised to find under 18 age bracket were very generous in their ratings for numerous old films. So much so, as I pulled up hundreds of movies, it seemed like almost too much. I'm talking a lot of 9.2's and higher.

It made me wonder if they are at that ratings stage of - every film is either a 10 or a 1, nothing in between. I'm not suggesting that age brackets' entire populace votes in that extreme. But I do wonder if a higher percentage of their age bracket votes that extreme more so than other age brackets.
I guess there could be multiple reasons. For one, maybe the people under 18 having an imdb account are biased toward a certain subset interested in cinema as a whole, while the rest of people under 18 are out in the streets painting graffiti and smoking weed etc.
As people grow older, the likelihood of casual movie fans making an imdb account may rise.
Might also be due to social media effects being stronger on people under 18.

Deathbearer

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 12, 2017, 05:21:49 AM
Quote from: Deathbearer on Dec 12, 2017, 04:22:27 AM
Quote from: Alionic on Dec 12, 2017, 02:28:14 AM
I, too, am surprised that millennials like the action movie with explosions more.

Ah, the generational boogeyman I see. Classic. Watch out for that darned KISS, there's something not quite right about that Gene fellow.

I see you cut yourself on my post. Apologies.

More like a headache from reading the tired complaints of every grandpa to ever live. Your apology is accepted.

SM

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 12, 2017, 12:57:24 PM

Really?

Ship (Nostromo, Prometheus, Covenant) lands on the planet (LV-426, LV-223, Engineers' planet) and its crew find out Alien stuff and shit happens. Three similar movies made by the same person.

Sure, if you want to be blithely broad, you can write off all the films as - some people in space encounter monsters.

But no one would be so deliberately ignorant, would they?

Ingwar

Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2017, 07:58:37 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 12, 2017, 12:57:24 PM

Really?

Sure, if you want to be blithely broad, you can write off all the films as - some people in space encounter monsters.

But no one would be so deliberately ignorant, would they?

Actually they would. If you only listen to the latest podcast. Somebody mentioned my argument in it and I repeated it here.

Besides, it's not ignorance but the fact (regarding repeating the same formula). Maybe you are ignorant one who cannot see it?

SM

SM

Nah, I'm not the one trying to predictably wind people up by detailing Prometheus and Covenant with simple minded "shit happens" comments.

Ingwar

Ingwar

You have mistaken ignorance with winding people up (which I don't do anyway in this case). I just repeated what was said in the podcast. And yes, shit happens in Alien movies. Because it's sci-fi horror?

SM

I've not listened to the podcast; I never mentioned the podcast; I don't care about the podcast.

Why are you trying deflect your shitposting onto the podcast?

Ingwar

And why you are attacking me because I'v got different opinion than yours?

I don't shit post. How many times I have to repeat myself? Somebody mentioned that during the podcast. I agree with it and I posted it here. If you call my comments as shit posts then you have exactly the same opinion about people who made that podcast.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed