Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 250,077 times)

0321recon

Quote from: Denton Smalls on Dec 05, 2017, 05:10:56 PM
Kind of curious about this.

It's clear Ridley doesn't have the same passion for the creature itself anymore, so I would personally prefer the next Alien film featuring the xenomorph be directed by someone with more love for the monster.

That said, Ridley earned the right to finish his story on his terms, so I welcome the opportunity to see what sounds like a truer sequel to Prometheus, which I think is what Ridley originally wanted Covenant to be.

Agreed.

My ideal would be of Fox disregarding Covenant, and Scott actually doing the true sequel to Prometheus and someone else takes over the Alien franchise. Paramount is doing it with the upcoming Terminator movie, disregarding Genysis and whatever came before it sans T1 and T2, Fox should do the same.

It would be economically cheaper to shoot since it would be only Fassbender and Rapace and unknown actors for the engineers. Though, I don't see that happening.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: 0321recon on Dec 05, 2017, 04:26:53 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Dec 05, 2017, 04:05:49 PM
If the fan theories and expanded universe ideas were all proved wrong I see that as a good thing.

He hasn't retconed anything because those things were only theories in the first place. The more Ridley subverts expectations the better because most of those theories were all lame anyway.

Try to tell that to the fans. That's why were having outcry with Covenant.

Try to tell that to the fans. That's why were having outcry with Covenant
[/quote]

Well, im a fan myself and quite happy with what Ridleys doing. I want to see him finish the story he started and hopefully end it in a way that pleases me.

It can then be handed over to someone else to tell a different story, maybe one that will please all the people that didn't like this one.

I don't see what all the fuss is about really.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Dec 05, 2017, 10:35:49 AM
Of course audience reaction isn't binary, but that's kind of my point.  There are myriad opinions and Fox has to aim their product at a demographic that they hope will tick most boxes.  There's no point in sticking to a game plan when the audience aren't really buying it.  I do agree there should've been a long term plan.  Alien has never done this, but in these days of movie universes, when Spaihts pitched Engineers, they should've thrashed out a trilogy that would lead to Alien.

We may very well end up with something like that, but as you said, they'll have gone all over the map to get there.

Indeed. I just think it's unfortunate that they seem to be that skiddish and change direction. Prometheus had a lot of issues which make it a film I can't really enjoy as it was cut theatrically, but I actually commend the boldness of saying... We're going to use that same canvas, but paint a different picture. That's coming at the series with, at the very least, some freshness. I hope that whatever the third film in this series becomes, it melds the strengths of Prometheus and Covenant, and sheds the rest. Unfortunately some of the damage is just too deep to fully correct for.

Quote from: Highland on Dec 05, 2017, 01:56:29 PM
I agree with you, but funnily enough they sort of act this way in Alien. I think Dallas even say's "Alien life form, been dead a long time"... almost like it's not a surprise its an Alien.

One other thing I noticed whilst trying to identify what Scott did well with Alien was the silence. There are a lot of scenes with just sound effects or very faint instruments and it really draws you into the scene.

Such a classic. I guess we should be grateful he made such a masterpiece.

Maybe it's the acting and the pacing, but I always read a lot more into the scenes in Alien. There's this sense of (as Scott put's it about Lambert "Catatonic terror.") I think their silence is, in part, out of fear. I mean, can you imagine stumbling into a derelict ship of that size and design and finding a giant skeleton that may have gone through some kind of a violent death? Lambert is definitely channeling restrained terror. Kane is Mr. Adventure, he's almost in the wrong genre, the poor guy. Dallas has this vibe to him that indicates he knows something is really wrong, but he doesn't really vocalize it.

The other side of it is there was nobody around with actual knowledge to bounce the questions off, so it would have ultimately been a waste of screen time.

So, with the characters in Covenant, it really needed that scene which we never really good. That long five or seven minute sequence where Fassbender's charisma was brought to bear and we had the characters asking him a lot more questions, and really getting into the detail of the society he destroyed. His motivation, etc. It just needed more.

0321recon

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Dec 05, 2017, 05:29:17 PM
Quote from: 0321recon on Dec 05, 2017, 04:26:53 PM
If the fan theories and expanded universe ideas were all proved wrong I see that as a good thing.

He hasn't retconed anything because those things were only theories in the first place. The more Ridley subverts expectations the better because most of those theories were all lame anyway.

Try to tell that to the fans. That's why were having outcry with Covenant.

Well, im a fan myself and quite happy with what Ridleys doing. I want to see him finish the story he started and hopefully end it in a way that pleases me.

It can then be handed over to someone else to tell a different story, maybe one that will please all the people that didn't like this one.

I don't see what all the fuss is about really.

I'm ok with the story that we got for Covenant, liked the entire Prometheus side of the story, though I understand many that bring the point that it seems an entire film was skipped over to get to what we see in Covenant. Plus, it doesn't help in hearing that Fox was pushing Scott to add the Alien.If they had only kept the Neo and introduced the xeno in the next one, people would had been more receptive with the film.

tleilaxu

This is 100% true. Just look at the fan theories on this site, they're not just awful, they're also really f**king boring and unimaginative.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 05, 2017, 05:33:41 PM
Quote from: Highland on Dec 05, 2017, 01:56:29 PM
I agree with you, but funnily enough they sort of act this way in Alien. I think Dallas even say's "Alien life form, been dead a long time"... almost like it's not a surprise its an Alien.

One other thing I noticed whilst trying to identify what Scott did well with Alien was the silence. There are a lot of scenes with just sound effects or very faint instruments and it really draws you into the scene.

Such a classic. I guess we should be grateful he made such a masterpiece.

Maybe it's the acting and the pacing, but I always read a lot more into the scenes in Alien. There's this sense of (as Scott put's it about Lambert "Catatonic terror.") I think their silence is, in part, out of fear. I mean, can you imagine stumbling into a derelict ship of that size and design and finding a giant skeleton that may have gone through some kind of a violent death? Lambert is definitely channeling restrained terror. Kane is Mr. Adventure, he's almost in the wrong genre, the poor guy. Dallas has this vibe to him that indicates he knows something is really wrong, but he doesn't really vocalize it.

The other side of it is there was nobody around with actual knowledge to bounce the questions off, so it would have ultimately been a waste of screen time.

So, with the characters in Covenant, it really needed that scene which we never really good. That long five or seven minute sequence where Fassbender's charisma was brought to bear and we had the characters asking him a lot more questions, and really getting into the detail of the society he destroyed. His motivation, etc. It just needed more.
:laugh: It's unrealistic in Covenant but in Alien, the casual atmosphere is due to "fear". Take off your nostalgia goggles for f**k's sake bro, both movies have the exact same f**king problem.

OpenMaw

No. They don't. "Bro."

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 04, 2017, 07:50:12 PM
I don't fear a reboot at this point, I welcome one

Yeah man. Because the reboot is just guaranteed to be great and they'll be Aliens in it!*

*Reboots are almost universally terrible and have outright destroyed multiple horror franchises.

Alionic

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 05, 2017, 04:16:48 PM
Can we also stop generalizing people if they don't like where this prequel series is going? If someone speaks against it they're automatically said to be a drone who wants pulse rifles and aliens

Maybe it's because most of the people trashing the prequels are demanding pulse rifles and alien queens in between personally attacking Ridley Scott ("Senile! George Lucas clone!" etc.).

Munkeywrench

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 05, 2017, 07:26:55 PM
Can we also stop generalizing people if they don't like where this prequel series is going? If someone speaks against it they're automatically said to be a drone who wants pulse rifles and aliens

Maybe it's because most of the people trashing the prequels are demanding pulse rifles and alien queens in between personally attacking Ridley Scott ("Senile! George Lucas clone!" etc.).

I don't see anyone demanding pulse rifles and alien queens all people want is a good alien film.

Alionic

Well, you're definitely going to get some form of pulse rifles vs. alien queens (action movie) now, since Disney is buying 20th Century Fox.

SM

Quote from: Munkeywrench on Dec 05, 2017, 07:42:03 PM
Quote from: Alionic on Dec 05, 2017, 07:26:55 PM

I don't see anyone demanding pulse rifles and alien queens all people want is a good alien film.

What do you think everyone who was raving about a Blomkamp film was demanding?

Whos_Nick

The salt is real in this thread

Alionic

At this point, I just want Scott to cap his prequel story with a third film without any interference from Disney executives. After that, Disney can milk this series for eternity with endless shitty remakes of Cameron's film for all I care.

BishopShouldGo

Well if you're going to make an alternate sequel to Aliens and do it the right way, it's going to retain the elements of Aliens while further expanding the world, just as Aliens did with Alien. Aliens takes from Alien, Alien 3.2 takes from Aliens AND Alien but by taking from Aliens it's taking from Alien anyway.

Yeah, y'know, we like action, horror, and sci-fi around here. Widen the circle each time. A sincere Alien 3 would have given us: space jockeys, Weyland headquarters, a Weyland character, more locations, pulse rifles, action, horror, suspense, adult Newt & Bishop & older Ripley and Hicks.

Doesn't mean it's a clone of Aliens anymore than The Dark Knight Rises was a clone of The Dark Knight or The Bourne Ultimatum was a clone of The Bourne Supremacy or any third was a clone of the second.

You ain't ever had it so good until Aliens! Seven Oscar nominations, boy! Stop kidding yourselves.

CainsSon

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 04, 2017, 09:50:57 PM
Engineers + AI sounds far more interesting than Marines + Pulse Rifles.

But for some reason, most fans seem to want the latter.  ???

We've never seen the Engineers do battle with anyone. It could be interesting to see them show up with lots of Black Goo mutilating and mutating Colonial Marines.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed