Things Prometheus/Covenant did better?

Started by Berend, Oct 14, 2017, 09:12:51 AM

Author
Things Prometheus/Covenant did better? (Read 1,512 times)

Berend

I've heard claims being made that somewhere in the middle between these 2 sci-fi horrors there the exists the perfect Alien prequel.

While that is off course debatable on its own, comparisons could be made to see where one exceeded the other.

You may add things of your own off course, as some of you know these films better than I ever will. But lets start with the easy ones.

Overal best plotline and storystructure

Best interior and exterior ship design-

More interesting Crew/Characters-

Best design and overal use of Villian/Monsters-

The best design and use of Setting- ( LV or Paradise )

Most satisfying Resolution-

To give my own 2 cents real quick, I think Prometheus definiatly had a more interesting and unique premise. I think the 1st act is largely more superior than its successor, but that the second half of Covenant exceeds its predecessor.
I found the Covenant(ship) rather lacking compared the beautiful Prometheus(ship) though the second film utilized it better, having the final showdown take a place in there.

The cast and crew are largely interchangable to me, both felt like cannon-fodder to me, and I still don't know a majority of the names. Prometheus takes the cake for having Shaw as the more compelling main protagonist.

In terms of monster design and effective use of it, Covenant definiatly has the advantage of being more of monster/slasher movie compared to Prom.
But even then I think the Neomorph worked better than the Fifield-zombie or the Trilobite, and infectious spores seemed to have a more established set of rules of what it can and cannot do, compared to the Black Miracle Goo.

I have a lot more thoughts on the subject, but I don't want to put up a wall of text for you guys, so what do you think, I'm genuinely curious.

skhellter

skhellter

I really love the design of the Prometheus ship.
Those space suits were also pretty sexy.

But Covenant is easily the better film.
Characters, Villain, creatures, cinematography, score, dialogue.
+ the most satisfying ending in the franchise after Aliens. (for those that arent normies).   :-*

Prometheus had one of the dumbest screenplays in recent memory.
(QT SPACESNEK! ILUVROCKS! ICANTHAVEBABIEESSSSWHATDOESITALLMEANNN.)
No amount of pretty spaceships could save that film.  :-X

Prometheus is "SPACE Daddy issues: The motion Picture".
Covenant is "Space Bisexual Robot Pervert: The tight bodysuit special"  :-*

SM

SM

They looked upon the works in his pants and despaired.

Highland

I prefer Covenants score to Prometheus. The characters are much better in Prometheus.

Alionic

Prometheus had the best score in the series IMO, and I liked Covenant better as a film.

Predaker

Right off the bat I'd say Covenant did a much better job with the black goo, AKA the accelerant.

I didn't care for the way the engineers were portrayed in either film, but I felt Prometheus did better there.

Highland

Quote from: Alionic on Oct 14, 2017, 10:02:30 PM
Prometheus had the best score in the series IMO, and I liked Covenant better as a film.

I prefer the Goldsmith touches of Covenant. I also think Covenant has more recognisable tunes and generally just feels a bit more Alien. Prometheus is mostly just weird sounds and trumpets with Matrixy style electronics over the top. Both are good, but I nod my head in appreciation a lot of the time in Covenant.

I also really don't like the main theme of Prometheus. It's a bit too.... not sure what the word is...a bit like 2001.

I think the actual "Alien Covenant" theme, is the single best track out of both.

Baron Von Marlon

Prometheus was better in general, imo. Cast, story,... Just a more interesting movie overal.

Covenant was to generic for me, with the exceptions of David's parts. The scene where he does Ozymandias, the sound of the Juggernaut breaking through the clouds, the bombing, David's face when he's looking down on the Engineers, his tear when he turns to Walter,... Gave me goosebumps. I still find it one the most amazing and memorable scenes I've seen in quit some time.

Scorpio

Both are amazing films for me.  Can't wait for part 3.

BonesawT101

Watched a double bill of Prometheus and Covenant lastnight. They make for a great double feature. If 2001 and Alien had a love child, Prometheus and Covenant would be it.

I think that expanding on the series is where both films really excel. I applaud Ridley for releasing such bizarre films upon the main stream.

Scorpio

Ridley is a massive Kubrick fanboy.  Even his first film The Duellists came in the wake of Kubrick's Barry Lyndon.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Highland on Oct 15, 2017, 12:23:18 AM
I prefer the Goldsmith touches of Covenant. I also think Covenant has more recognisable tunes and generally just feels a bit more Alien. Prometheus is mostly just weird sounds and trumpets with Matrixy style electronics over the top. Both are good, but I nod my head in appreciation a lot of the time in Covenant.

I wasn't really a fan of the Goldsmith in Covenant to start with I'm actually warming up to them more. Over all, I did really enjoy the score. I love some of those weird sounds that Kurzel uses.

Jonesy1974

Covenants score is vastly superior for me. I was very disappointed with much of Prometheus score, particularly the title music which sounded very star trek to my ears.

tleilaxu

Prometheus has some cool parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sScXa-uSvrc and over time I've warmed up to the main melody, but yeah, I'd say Covenant's score is superior.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Oct 16, 2017, 11:08:14 AM
Covenants score is vastly superior for me. I was very disappointed with much of Prometheus score, particularly the title music which sounded very star trek to my ears.

I just have this general impression of Prometheus trying to sound grand quite often when it doesn't need to. I think there were a few tracks I liked in there but I couldn't remember off-hand.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed