When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 77,869 times)

tleilaxu

Quote from: SM on Oct 30, 2017, 10:34:52 AM
Even casual movie goers have often seen stuff like The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, Ben-Hur etc.
I've only seen one out of those movies.
Also, the Wicked Witch of the West did nothing wrong.

SM

Except for despatching her army of flying monkeys to abduct a child.

And rip the scarecrow to bits.  And threaten to kill the child she abducted.  And set fire to the scarecrow.

They didn't call her 'Wicked' for nothing.

Scorpio

She had a rough childhood.

TWJones

Agree completely that film lovers will tend to seek out older films to see a director's early work, or the work that inspired a filmmaker they admire. However, it is disappointing to me that many older films are more difficult to see these days.

For example: when I was growing up and there were lots of video stores (VHS) you would go in and see all of the movies, and some of the covers, the descriptions, would intrigue me and I'd rent movies based on that. Not based on what was popular, but what my own curiosity led me to.

Now, I think a lot of people simply scroll through Netflix or Hulu, and watch whatever is available. So, how would someone become aware of Goodfellas? It's not on either of those streaming services. I don't rent from iTunes, but it seems that everything on the main page is what's new, so you would have to know what older movie you were looking for to search for it.

My friends and I found that movie by chance in a video store because the cover was interesting...the body lying on the street, Deniro, Liotta, and Pesci hovering in the dark above it. Finding that movie led to a lifelong love of Scorsese films. I went back to the video store and asked the guy there what else Scorsese had directed, which introduced me to Kundun, Age of Innocence, After Hours, King of Comedy etc.

I just wonder how a younger generation would become aware of films like this, and have access to them.

monkeylove

Quote from: SM on Oct 30, 2017, 02:31:35 AM
QuoteWhat was explained in another thread doesn't refer to what makes it a flop but what's needed to profit. That is, the total cost is generally doubled to account for marketing, taxes, etc., and revenues cut by a third to a half for the distributor. What's left is divided between the studio and those who invested in the film.

Specifically, "by what measure was Covenant a "flop"?"

Considering the studio said "It will be a profitable film".

The measure is based on the points raised in my post which you quoted above. Whether or it the film was a flop is based on the studio's definition of such, which is likely based on a minimum amount they pegged for the profit.

SM

So ultimately - "no, it was not a flop".

tleilaxu

Quote from: SM on Oct 31, 2017, 03:35:41 AM
Except for despatching her army of flying monkeys to abduct a child.

And rip the scarecrow to bits.  And threaten to kill the child she abducted.  And set fire to the scarecrow.

They didn't call her 'Wicked' for nothing.
Dorothy was guilty of involuntary manslaughter, and even worse, she didn't even give the shoes back.

SM

She wasn't able to control the house or able to give the shoes back.

monkeylove

Quote from: SM on Oct 31, 2017, 07:50:43 PM
So ultimately - "no, it was not a flop".

I'm not sure. What was the studio hoping it would earn in profits from the film? Their investors? How much profit did it make?

SM

If it made money - it's not a flop.

It didn't make as much as Fox hoped, but that doesn't make it a flop.

monkeylove

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2017, 02:31:44 AM
If it made money - it's not a flop.

It didn't make as much as Fox hoped, but that doesn't make it a flop.

Following your argument, one can declare that even if it made only a dollar in profits, then it's not a flop. That doesn't make sense, especially to investors.

SM

SM

A flop is something that doesn't make back its production budget and promotional costs.  Costs can be very fluid with Hollywood accounting and it's rare we ever find out exact promotion costs.

However, Fox said it will be profitable.  Ergo, not a flop.

Corporal Hicks

And they're still willing to explore options for another movie so it can't have been too bad for Fox.

monkeylove

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2017, 04:24:58 AM
A flop is something that doesn't make back its production budget and promotional costs.  Costs can be very fluid with Hollywood accounting and it's rare we ever find out exact promotion costs.

However, Fox said it will be profitable.  Ergo, not a flop.

But how much did it make in profits?

Also, shouldn't it be "was" profitable? Or are they referring to merchandising?

SiL

We'll never know the profits.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed