Size of Engineers non-debatable

Started by acrediblesource, Aug 26, 2017, 01:04:19 AM

Author
Size of Engineers non-debatable (Read 4,713 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Hasnt there been at least a 5 year wait between every alien film anyway?

Its kinda funny, sometimes I come here and see topics and posts that remind me of the crazy religious people, sometimes found on street corners, who hold signs up saying "the end is near" and "the apocaplypse is upon us!" :laugh:

"The franchise is dead!"

"Ridley had destroyed his own creation!"

SM

SM

Yeah it's generally minimum 5 years. I think it's mainly due to a lack of a unifying vision and new creative teams each time around, as well as new execs etc.

SiL

SiL

The shortest gap was AvP - AvPR, which was three years. Longest gap is seven years, tied Alien-Aliens and Resurrection-AvP. Every other film was 5 years, except Aliens-Alien3 which was 6.

Evanus

Evanus

Let's hope Fassbender will age better this time, as David doesn't age.  :P

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Aug 26, 2017, 10:23:45 PM
Yeah, I know. I don't really contest that, which is why this isn't really one of my main criticisms of the film. It's more of a nitpick at the end of the day, but it is still baffling to me that I even need to see that stuff to begin with. I mean, the Engineers were Ridley Scott's addition to the lore; You'd think he'd show a bit more care and attention to detail with them...

I can agree with that. I would have thought that the Engineers would have had more of a part to play rather than being the dead guy's. Seems a bit pointless to upset some of the fans/audience with your choice then have it immediately exit the stage.

Anyway there are probably too many Space Jockey ( Can we even use this anymore.....sad face) threads.

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

They will be big again if Ridley decides to bring them back as main characters.

To be honest I'm hoping for a reboot now - not a straight retelling of Alien, but start a new series, give it to a up and coming director and see what they can do.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Xenoscream on Aug 27, 2017, 12:47:55 AM

To be honest I'm hoping for a reboot now - not a straight retelling of Alien, but start a new series, give it to a up and coming director and see what they can do.

Like I said in the other thread you can do both with some smart storytelling. A brief idea (I don't usually do these things but here goes)

The next movie could be set on just about the same timeline as the space between Aliens and Alien 3 still within the world we know. The Company know about the Aliens existence, we know they've been looking for the Alien from what Michael Bishop says in Alien 3 and they also know that David is out there somewhere with it because of the messages he's been sending. The company (Post Aliens) send teams out to find the source of the message and come across the Covenant ship (Not on Origae 6), the Planet is teeming with Xenomorph like creatures, a hive that's expended presumably because of David's experiments getting out of hand - just like Prometheus he couldn't cage the wolf.

This timeline ties up what happened to the Covenant, but it's just a plot point to further the story of the reboot, then we shoot off into this timeline which could easily have a dour ending where everybody dies or gets stranded.

This doesn't mess with the existing Alien Canon and requires no dream sequences, time travel or any other equally stupid idea whilst also providing some answers to the prequel trilogy without the need for a further film. Ultimately we never find out what happened on LV426, but I think this is a fair trade-off.

Some MacGuffin dialog could possibly even tie that up with it being perhaps part of whatever David was doing on Planet X. New Cast, new story, same Alien.

I'd buy it.

SM

SM

Any isolated story that doesn't mess with the existing continuity can work. You could set stories between the films but have them in far off deep space where the Company or USM have no knowledge of them.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SM on Aug 27, 2017, 02:28:26 AM
Any isolated story that doesn't mess with the existing continuity can work. You could set stories between the films but have them in far off deep space where the Company or USM have no knowledge of them.

I think it's the better situation. I can't imagine jumping outside off the timeline dramatically. Alien Rez threw me out with that even though it was only a couple hundred years.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Highland on Aug 27, 2017, 02:01:03 AM

Like I said in the other thread you can do both with some smart storytelling. A brief idea (I don't usually do these things but here goes)

The next movie could be set on just about the same timeline as the space between Aliens and Alien 3 still within the world we know. The Company know about the Aliens existence, we know they've been looking for the Alien from what Michael Bishop says in Alien 3 and they also know that David is out there somewhere with it because of the messages he's been sending. The company (Post Aliens) send teams out to find the source of the message and come across the Covenant ship (Not on Origae 6), the Planet is teeming with Xenomorph like creatures, a hive that's expended presumably because of David's experiments getting out of hand - just like Prometheus he couldn't cage the wolf.

This timeline ties up what happened to the Covenant, but it's just a plot point to further the story of the reboot, then we shoot off into this timeline which could easily have a dour ending where everybody dies or gets stranded.

If David would've been sending messages, wouldn't he give his location? And why would he have send a message as Walter?

When visualising your story, I get the impression of a typical Alien flick: people vs aliens.
Not that it would be bad but it seems like just another Alien movie.

I do like the idea of David's experiments getting out of hand and his creatures running loose.
The xenomorph variations remain an entertaining concept. But imo they're more suitable for an AvP or Colonial Marines movie.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

#MakeSpaceJockeysBigAgain

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 27, 2017, 03:47:31 AM
Quote from: Highland on Aug 27, 2017, 02:01:03 AM

If David would've been sending messages, wouldn't he give his location? And why would he have send a message as Walter?

When visualising your story, I get the impression of a typical Alien flick: people vs aliens.
Not that it would be bad but it seems like just another Alien movie.

I do like the idea of David's experiments getting out of hand and his creatures running loose.
The xenomorph variations remain an entertaining concept. But imo they're more suitable for an AvP or Colonial Marines movie.

David doesn't need to send a message, but the company does know about the creature regardless.

If it's not people vs Aliens, then what's your movie going to be about that's not already been explored in Scotts prequels? I can't think of many original ideas that don't involve some kind of struggle against the xeno. I seriously doubt any further director is going to touch the Engineer concept if we are talking about a soft reboot. At least not as the main plot point.

Baron Von Marlon

But he did sent a message. And one as Walter.
Or are we supposed to ignore that?

Quote from: Highland on Aug 27, 2017, 05:06:44 AMDavid doesn't need to send a message, but the company does know about the creature regardless.

If it's not people vs Aliens, then what's your movie going to be about that's not already been explored in Scotts prequels? I can't think of many original ideas that don't involve some kind of struggle against the xeno. I seriously doubt any further director is going to touch the Engineer concept if we are talking about a soft reboot. At least not as the main plot point.

Are we supposed to ignore that or will it be explained? And do you need a hell of a drug? :laugh:

Like I said, people vs aliens isn't a bad thing. But imo, a search party landing on a hostile planet and fighting off xenos sounds generic without something deeper going on in the background. I'd rather have something like Blomkamp's idea of what seems a giant facility built around the Derelict.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 27, 2017, 05:52:48 AM
Or are we supposed to ignore that?

Quote from: Highland on Aug 27, 2017, 05:06:44 AMDavid doesn't need to send a message, but the company does know about the creature regardless.

Are we supposed to ignore that or will it be explained? And do you need a hell of a drug? :laugh:

Like I said, people vs aliens isn't a bad thing. But imo, a search party landing on a hostile planet and fighting off xenos sounds generic without something deeper going on in the background. I'd rather have something like Blomkamp's idea of what seems a giant facility built around the Derelict.

The messages don't really matter either way. We know that WY knows about the creature from before Alien so they do have reasons to chase it up in alternate timelines.

I presume in this facility things go wrong and start chasing a group of people about right? Like the facility in Resurrection....

Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 were not overly complicated movies, I don't think we need fine Wines and soft cheese to enjoy an Alien romp.

Hide

Hide

Well, let's see what happens when the company finally gets the creature...
But I think this was the Blomkamp idea...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed