I hate Fiefeld SO much.

Started by bobby brown, Aug 11, 2017, 10:57:21 AM

Author
I hate Fiefeld SO much. (Read 55,186 times)

SM

SM

It's obvious he panicked.  Doesn't change the fact he had a map.  It's dumb that a guy who wanted to leave ASAP didn't consult his map at some point.  Millburn had some sort of GPS tracking too.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 28, 2018, 01:56:07 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 28, 2018, 01:46:03 PM
The PUPs were still mapping when they got lost.

OMG, the pups mapped the entrance first. Fifield had plenty of time to use the pups and their "work in progess" map to exit the paramid before the storm hit.

Fifield has access to the map and is in communication with the Prometheus. The storm hasnt hit yet, he gets lost anyway.

Contrarian indeed.

Point out where the entrance/exit is then:

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 29, 2018, 03:12:36 AM
Point out where the entrance/exit is then:

Sure:
https://ibb.co/jxfnob

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

The entrance would be over the tunnel to the hanger, facing the Prometheus - on Janek's right.

Highland

Highland

Yeah he didn't do a very good job of the whole lost thing. Even Anderson did it ok in AVP.

Scorpio

Scorpio

How do you know that is entrance?  If it was that close, they could have left easily, unless they did not want to leave.  Maybe they had a smoke break.

Who says they got lost, anyway?  Milburn says:  "We've been here before, Fifield".  And Fifield responds:  "It all looks the same to me".  They never say "We're lost".  So maybe they didn't even get lost in the first place.  People just assume they are lost because they never made it back.  Maybe Fifield went to retrieve his PUPs.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jan 29, 2018, 08:44:16 AM
The entrance would be over the tunnel to the hanger, facing the Prometheus - on Janek's right.
Sure, I'm willing to debate over that. The entrance needs to be somewhere along the spirally tunnel at the base of the dome because that tunnel is the first thing mapped in the film. I assumed it's the particular area I circled because there's a segment in that specific hologram scene that kind of resembles the "crack" the crew went in through. I'm willing to concede and place the entrance somewhere else on that tunnel if someone presents better evidence.

That said, even if I had absolutely no clue about my surroundings, I'd still make my way to that spiral tunnel because that's the most logical location for an entrance. Then again, I'm no geologist/map expert...  :P

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 29, 2018, 09:05:10 AM
How do you know that is entrance?  If it was that close, they could have left easily, unless they did not want to leave.  Maybe they had a smoke break.
Everybody left the installation easily. Everybody. Except for the "map expert" and his "biologist" sidekick.

Who says they got lost, anyway?  Milburn says:  "We've been here before, Fifield".  And Fifield responds:  "It all looks the same to me".  They never say "We're lost".  So maybe they didn't even get lost in the first place.  People just assume they are lost because they never made it back.  Maybe Fifield went to retrieve his PUPs.
They don't need to say that they're lost because that exchange of conversation is what the word "lost" is supposed to describe.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Yeah, so they may have got lost on their way back.  Fifield went up to retrieve his PUPs before going back to the ship, then the static storm hit which interfered with his equipment.  He couldn't read the map so he got lost.  Janek also was losing the signal which is why he didn't know Fifield/Milburn's position.  They couldn't leave after the storm hit, anyway.

The most logical explanation is that Fifield/Milburn did not straight away try to return to the ship as many people assume.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jan 29, 2018, 09:20:44 AMI'm willing to concede and place the entrance somewhere else on that tunnel if someone presents better evidence.

Considering that the hanger is between the tunnel entrance and the Prometheus, then the entrance on the 3D map would be facing in the same direction as the tunnel that leads to the hanger. Best evidence I've got.:D

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jan 29, 2018, 09:52:24 AM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jan 29, 2018, 09:20:44 AMI'm willing to concede and place the entrance somewhere else on that tunnel if someone presents better evidence.

Considering that the hanger is between the tunnel entrance and the Prometheus, then the entrance on the 3D map would be facing in the same direction as the tunnel that leads to the hanger. Best evidence I've got.:D
Sold!

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 29, 2018, 09:39:21 AM
Fifield went up to retrieve his PUPs before going back to the ship, then the static storm hit which interfered with his equipment.  He couldn't read the map so he got lost.  Janek also was losing the signal which is why he didn't know Fifield/Milburn's position.  They couldn't leave after the storm hit, anyway.
No, Fifield didn't go anywhere to retrieve his pups because:

The PUPs were still mapping when they got lost.

The most logical explanation is that Fifield/Milburn did not straight away try to return to the ship as many people assume.
The most logical explanation is the one everybody uses to criticize the film with. Not the one you came up with 31 pages in, when realizing your other excuses for the stupidity of the character don't work.

SM

SM

The entrance would be 90 degrees around from the tunnel to the juggernaut.  They go in under the face at the top of the pyramid which faces north.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Of course they were still mapping, you saw the one stuck in that corridor that lead to the hangar.

He did not retrieve all his PUPs, but why wouldn't he retrieve his PUPs?  They belong to Ffield, they're Fifield's PUPs.  Why would he leave his PUPs behind?  That doesn't make any sense.

I'm not making excuses, since nobody here is the screenwriter, and call tell us definitively the intentions behind the scene.  It's not just in the script, but all the discussions they had behind the scenes.  None of you are experts on the film, since nobody here was involved in making the film, thus your judgments about the film are not truth, therefore it is impossible for anybody to make excuses, as excuses to what?  Your nitpicks?  Because that's all they are - nitpicks.

SiL

SiL

The screenwriters intended they got lost.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 29, 2018, 10:36:39 AM
He did not retrieve all his PUPs, but why wouldn't he retrieve his PUPs?
Sigh...because:
The PUPs were >>>still mapping<<<.

...And because he literally never so much as attempts to retrieve them.

I'm not making excuses, since nobody here is the screenwriter, and call tell us definitively the intentions behind the scene.  It's not just in the script, but all the discussions they had behind the scenes.  None of you are experts on the film, since nobody here was involved in making the film, thus your judgments about the film are not truth, therefore it is impossible for anybody to make excuses, as excuses to what?  Your nitpicks?  Because that's all they are - nitpicks.
Yes, you are. It is the film's job to feed the audience information about what's happening in the scene, and Prometheus does just that. You don't need to be the screenwriter; You don't need to be involved in its production. All you need to do is watch the film and figure out what the film tries to show you. The film quite blatantly shows the map expert being the only one getting lost.

Either you concede that this is a flaw of the film when it comes to properly establishing character behavior and motivations, or you have to concede that the entire film is unwatchable because only the people involved in making it are able to understand what's going on.

Scorpio

Scorpio

It's not a flaw in the film, just a flaw in your understanding.

It is never stated once that Fifield is a "map expert", yet that's exactly what you stated:

QuoteThe film quite blatantly shows the map expert being the only one getting lost.

He's a GEOLOGIST.  A quick google search gives this answer:

A geologist is a scientist who studies the solid and liquid matter that constitutes the Earth as well as the processes that shape it.

What does that have to do with "map expert"? 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed