Advent & Other Deletes

Started by juhuston, Aug 02, 2017, 12:21:06 AM

Author
Advent & Other Deletes (Read 18,407 times)

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 03, 2017, 11:46:35 AM
The deleted scenes are largely just meh. Some kinda nice character moments but over all just little bits of trimming and nothing really massive.
So Ridley made all the right decisions in the cutting then? :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Nothing really makes me think "that's why that was cut!" or "I'm so glad this was cut!" but there's nothing much that makes me go "I wish they'd kept that in!" either. They're just ok.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

^I agree. It's not like Prometheus where the deleted scenes would have made the movie better. Aside from maybe the cabin flashback, the deleted scenes for Covenant don't add much to the film.

0321recon

0321recon

from reading various posts, seems they gave us peanuts with the deleted scenes. They could have added the 12 minute link between Prometheus and Covenant to peek our interest. 

gantarat

gantarat

So after Bomb engineer david wake up shawn and explain everything and his plan to her but she didn't like what he doing,right ?

marrerom

marrerom

I'm waiting till august 15th to pick up my Blu-ray copy of Alien: Covenant but gooddamn is it getting hard to wait! These special features sound great (especially "Advent"...there is something about David that just speaks to me. I love that character.). I'm dying to hear the audio commentary too.   :)

TWJones

TWJones

I purchased the iTunes version last night, and it does in fact come with all of the special features on the blu-ray. I agree with Necrotard that both Advent and Phobos were really good. Advent gives us some more information about David and Shaw, David's motivation, and some details about his genetic experimentation. It seems that Advent is supposed to be part of David's transmission to Weyland-Yutani at the end of the film, just  a longer version of it with lots of recording from his lab. I need to watch it a few more times to pick up on all of the nuances, but you basically get to see David at work, which is pretty fascinating. It also helps set up Ridley's desire to move into Alien. It more or less establishes WY's awareness of a dangerous alien lifeform, which ties in directly to Ash being aware of it as well.

Phobos was an interesting character development piece that was really enjoyable, but obviously something that could not have fit within the context of the film.

Overall, the deleted and extended scenes were underwhelming. I do wish the extended plaza scene had been left in the film as it makes the civilization seem grander, more mysterious. I thought that the scene in Daniel's apartment, though brief, would have been a nice addition as it introduces Branson and shows us their love for one another. It would have made his death a little more meaningful.

And, in my opinion, the extended funeral scene gives us a few seconds of conversation between Daniel's and Walter. I actually think this should have been left in as it helps establish further the relationship between those two. There are a couple of moments of them connecting that were cut. Keeping at least one of them in the film would have made David's comments about Walter loving Daniels seem more insightful.

Denton Smalls

Denton Smalls

Is there a lot of story elaboration in the director commentary or just behind the scenes anecdotes?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

So, was there any kind of "making-of" documentary bundled with the digital release?

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

There's a 55 min making of doc titled Master Class Ridley Scott

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Is it in the same league as a Lauzirika production?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

No, it doesn't seem to be on the level of the Furious Gods, but it's still decent. The movie looks amazing in HD. Much better than what I saw in theaters.

TWJones

TWJones

Quote from: Protozoid on Aug 02, 2017, 06:31:53 PM
Since this is meant to parallel Paradise Lost, I think the "wolves" are Engineer outcasts like the fallen angels and Lucifer, not the xenomorphs.

Edit: I'm less sure after hearing David say he's "found his wolf" while looking at a xeno egg.

David says that line about the wolves in relation to the black goo and the fact that it can create both good and bad, the bad being the "wolves" and that the Engineers tried to eliminate that aspect but couldn't.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I love the extended look at the monsters in David's lab. Just what I wanted.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Is this Master Class a full-blown documentary or just Ridley in one room talking?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed