Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 150,038 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: oduodu on Jul 24, 2017, 11:58:54 PM
It just so dark. They felt safe because they were to together. I dunno it feels stupid. Couldn't she have waited until daytime?

It's not like she couldn't see.

QuoteWe need an Alien film that comes in after Aliens with Weaver, and Fassbender, and Biehn and somebody to play Newt...

Why do we need that film?

kwisatz

kwisatz

NickisSmart has a point though. Its not like 'Alien' isnt full of this stuff. From Kane practically taking a header into the egg to Ripley going back for the freaking cat (even if it may be nice from a symbolical viewpoint).

If these things pull you out, they pull you out. But often when one really likes a movie one tends to overlook these as "details". On the other hand if you dont like the movie you automatically find a ton of this stuff that supposedly is responsible for destroying the whole experience. Every little scene it is then.

SM

SM

If you want people to like your characters, they don't leave children or small animals to die.  That's not dumb.

Kane admittedly is questionable.  It's established that he's the explorer right from the outset, but sticking his face right in that thing...?

Tonyhartmorph

Tonyhartmorph

"We need an Alien film that comes in after Aliens with Weaver, and Fassbender, and Biehn and somebody to play Newt..."

"We" don't, we don't at all. You or, anyone who agrees with this sentiment, remove yourself from any argument where a point is made that Scott might have perhaps been pandering to fans or the idea that Covenant may have been unoriginal in someway. Just letting you know.

Well, that is if you don't mind being called hypocrites of course.  . 

kwisatz

kwisatz

QuoteIf you want people to like your characters, they don't leave children or small animals to die.  That's not dumb.

Thats a meta-argument for me. If my house is burning to the ground i wouldnt go for the cat in the attic, cause thats just dumb. Maybe my imaginary daughter will mildly hate me for it (for three days max), but she definitely likes that i survived, and i know not going for the cat increased my chances of survival tremendously.

But in a film that is supposed to portray realistic behaviour thats somehow acceptable?

SM

SM

Yes.

kwisatz

kwisatz

:laugh:

Maybe thats why Cameron initially cut the whole Ripleys daughter part from Aliens. Cause this half-crazy woman definitely needs no strong psychological reason to go back to hell for the cute little girl that maybe reminds her of her daughter, cause she would go for big pets, small pets, ant farms and precious souvenirs anyway (way to destroy a potential strongly motivated future story arc, Ridley!).

One could say a lot of things against this Cameron fella, but i actually find it much harder to think about 'dumb' scenes of this magnitude in Aliens. He wouldve even bothered to further back up Ripleys motivation to go for an actual human being.

For Ridley the cute cat is reason enough. How could this director be responsible for films like Prometheus and Covenant...

SM

SM

She goes back for Newt, because that's the kind of person she is.  The kind of person that takes charge and takes action, rather than sitting back and saying 'You guys got us into this mess; you work it out.  I'm going for a smoke.'

The daughter aspect in Aliens is superfluous, almost to the point of being a bit too convenient.

oduodu

oduodu

This has me worried even more . Fox is asking outlets why the movie didn't do better?

Maybe they should have fan test screenings for the outlets only.

Here we have communities full of people who would give a nut just for the privilege of being involved in a consulting process. There is a whole EU to fall back on. Will they now actually  take the advice of dedicated fans ? I hope there is some feedback on this.

Yes I know hindsight.

Just for the record I am actually amazed that FOX did ask for feedback. Its probably feedback from the test screenings that made them sure of success.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Going back for the girl, for any human being is motivated enough at any time your totally right.

Going back for a cat is bordering on the insane. What if she actually already were portrayed as a mother in Alien? Going back for a cat with her daughter waiting at home? I dont even know how i would call such a person.

Put yourself in Camerons shoes. Now you wanna make Ripley a mother for whatever reasons. You actually cant because of her going back for the cat. No sane mother would put her life and her responsibility for her child on the line for an animal. That would shift her from a somehow crazy but likeable character to an irresponsible, reckless mother immediately.

And her actions in Alien diminish her going back for Newt in Aliens even if she wasnt/isnt a mother. A crazy character can not act heroic, his actions will always be determined by this one thing: his crazyness. Today hes saving a little girl, tomorrow a canary bird, the next day he doesnt bother at all; its totally random. You can like the crazy caracter for saving the child, but you can not admire him for his actual motivation (overcoming his fears, caring for other people etc.).

Im not actually saying Ripley is potrayed as being crazy in Alien, yet for me going back for the cat is a crazy kamikazesque action. You can overlook it, sure hollywood (Awww shes going - for the cat), but it might actually pull you out.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: oduodu on Jul 25, 2017, 01:21:37 AM
This has me worried even more . Fox is asking outlets why the movie didn't do better?

Maybe they should have fan test screenings for the outlets only.

Here we have communities full of people who would give a nut just for the privilege of being involved in a consulting process. There is a whole EU to fall back on. Will they now actually  take the advice of dedicated fans ? I hope there is some feedback on this.

Yes I know hindsight.
They should be consulting the general audience. Alien fans liked it, but they aren't a big enough demographic. The brand has been in decline since the first sequel thirty years ago. Each sequel made less than the one before it, with the exceptions of AvP and Prometheus - in other words, being an "Alien" movie is not enough to sustain the franchise.

My theory is that Alien endures because it offers and experience no other sci-fi or horror movie offers. If they want to make successful sequels, they need to continuously offer new experiences. The retreads offer diminishing returns and I don't see that trend reversing now after over 30 years of it holding steady.

They should poll general audiences, sci-fi fans, and bloggers like John Kenneth Muir who know the franchise but aren't fanatically devoted.

And if they are going to stick with female protagonists for every movie, and Ridley isn't going to return, they really must hire female creative teams behind the camera. At the very least a female director, and preferably a female screenwriter, as well.

SM

SM

QuoteGoing back for a cat is bordering on the insane. What if she actually already were portrayed as a mother in Alien? Going back for a cat with her daughter waiting at home? I dont even know how i would call such a person.

A human.

newagescamartist

Quote from: Protozoid on Jul 25, 2017, 01:37:06 AM

And if they are going to stick with female protagonists for every movie, and Ridley isn't going to return, they really must hire female creative teams behind the camera. At the very least a female director, and preferably a female screenwriter, as well.

Might as well just go full Ghostbusters reboot and make all the characters female except for villains and idiots. Those can be played by men.  ;D

kwisatz

kwisatz

Yap, i prefer reckless mother. A bit more precise.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: oduodu on Jul 25, 2017, 01:21:37 AM
Will they now actually  take the advice of dedicated fans ?

They want marines with pulse rifles shooting lots of aliens. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed