Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 151,683 times)

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Richman678 on Jul 19, 2017, 07:53:43 PM
All you guys hating on Titanic are nuts. Titanic was an incredible movie. The story was great, and the special effects were great, and yes obviously the music was great....So that's why everyone watched it too many times....and now why everyone hates it.  It won like every award it could the year it came out, and until Avatar it was the top grossing movie of all time. Your opinion is great, but the statistics just aren't on your side.

Cameron is able to write a story that makes sense.That's arguably what people hated most about Prometheus and Alien Covenant...The story.

Also I think  if Cameron showed even the faintest interest in returning to the Alien Franchise they would open their piggy banks, and literally fire anyone already involved in it...including Ridley Scott.

So I'm supposed to like it just because it's popular, otherwise I'm nuts? I don't like Celine Dione either, does that mean I have bad taste in music too?

He does tell stories that a small child can understand, that's just not what I want from a film.

I agree though that fox would snap him up if he was interested, im just glad he's not.

Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 19, 2017, 08:08:54 PM
I'm not fan of Titanic but saying it's a bad (or any other synonym) movie it's exaggeration. Movie was made in 1997 for 200 millions. It was the most expensive film at that time. What did you expect? It's romantic drama for masses. From teenage girls, housewives to grannies. It's not typical movie for male Alien fans, is it?

I'm not saying it's bad as a whole, I'm just saying it's badly written. And yes it's what I expected it to be for the reasons you give. That's why I was so excited about him returning to sci fi and was so disappointed when Avater turned out to be the same story all over again!

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Highland on Jul 19, 2017, 02:25:42 AM
Quote from: Alionic on Jul 19, 2017, 02:18:02 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jul 19, 2017, 02:04:44 AM
I'd imagine you'd be saying pre-release "people are not going to see this because its just a gimmic and too much CGI, this movie will bomb"

Movie made nearly 3 bil and nobody though it was any good. Keep em coming boys.

It's the 5th or so sequel to Dances with Wolves. James Cameron is a plagiarist.

With Space Aliens. I guess then any movie (The last Samurai is about something similar) is just a rip off.

All stupid talk aside, I think it would sense for Scott to come back as just a producer of some sort. With those other two movies mentioned Scott will be possibly 83? by the time Awakening comes around. The only other Director I can think of that old is Clint Eastwood and I'm not sure if he's done or not.

Just seems like a time thing more than anything else. I'm sure if Covenant killed it at the box office it might be different, but really if you're going to take a 4? year break between Prom and Cov then I see no rush on the last one which is probably the reason it's possibly been shelved for now.

Clint Eastwood is 87. 7 years OLDER than Ridley Scott.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 19, 2017, 05:55:17 PM

Titanic and Avatar are very well-crafted movies.

Double-standard. So is Scott's work, but the flaws are ignored in one, or the other, depending on which side of that fence one is on.

And why the hate on the writers for Covenant? I think they did a great job inserting poetry and classical literature and sci-fi concepts into the film.

PierreVW

PierreVW

To each their own.

James Cameron is a more successful Michael Bay. Huge movies with the MOST EXPENSIVE BUDGETS of All Time. I'm one of the few who Hate avatar and titanic.

Then, I'm one of the few here who prefers Ridley Scott over james cameron as Director of any film.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Aliens is great, as are the Terminator films. But his latter-day out-put is very narrow, scant and limited. Having too much fun playing with his submarines, I guess.

So, there's that. He has a place as a good director, but don't they all? It's such a dick-measuring contest with him. My films are the most expensive, and make the most money and he's "king of the world." Frankly, I don't give a damn, Cameron.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 19, 2017, 08:40:16 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 19, 2017, 05:55:17 PM

Titanic and Avatar are very well-crafted movies.

Double-standard. So is Scott's work, but the flaws are ignored in one, or the other, depending on which side of that fence one is on.

And why the hate on the writers for Covenant? I think they did a great job inserting poetry and classical literature and sci-fi concepts into the film.

I use the same scale to judge any director/movie. It doesn't matter who makes what. And it's not a double-standard. Did I say that Titanic is flawless? No. I just said that Cameron plays safe and his movies are well-crafted. Well-crafted doesn't equal amazing or masterpiece. They're just solid. Cameron likes to take his time when Scott jumps from one project to another without any plan. He does things at hoc. As he says: I don't have a plan. And you can notice that sometimes in his movies. They way movie is made tells you a lot about director.

I'm glad that poetry and classical literature play small parts in Covenant. That's its merit. But there is also a lot of cheesy and lazy writing.

Richman678

Richman678

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jul 19, 2017, 08:21:05 PM

So I'm supposed to like it just because it's popular, otherwise I'm nuts? I don't like Celine Dione either, does that mean I have bad taste in music too?

He does tell stories that a small child can understand, that's just not what I want from a film.

I agree though that fox would snap him up if he was interested, im just glad he's not.

No and No . Fair enough I shouldn't have said "Nuts" I meant it more as a tool to show my favoritism for Cameron. Your opinion is awesome and you're a great guy.....Also I meant the Score by James Horner not the stupid Celine Dion song.

Whether we agree or not I still feel Cameron is one of the few people out there who truly understand s the Alien Franchise like we do.

Hopefully they let Ridley do 1 more movie to finish the story, and I hope they get a great writer this time.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: PierreVW on Jul 19, 2017, 08:39:45 PM
I'd imagine you'd be saying pre-release "people are not going to see this because its just a gimmic and too much CGI, this movie will bomb"

With Space Aliens. I guess then any movie (The last Samurai is about something similar) is just a rip off.

All stupid talk aside, I think it would sense for Scott to come back as just a producer of some sort. With those other two movies mentioned Scott will be possibly 83? by the time Awakening comes around. The only other Director I can think of that old is Clint Eastwood and I'm not sure if he's done or not.

Just seems like a time thing more than anything else. I'm sure if Covenant killed it at the box office it might be different, but really if you're going to take a 4? year break between Prom and Cov then I see no rush on the last one which is probably the reason it's possibly been shelved for now.

Yeah but he's not made any movies since 2014.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Richman678 on Jul 19, 2017, 09:35:13 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jul 19, 2017, 08:21:05 PM

No and No . Fair enough I shouldn't have said "Nuts" I meant it more as a tool to show my favoritism for Cameron. Your opinion is awesome and you're a great guy.....Also I meant the Score by James Horner not the stupid Celine Dion song.

Whether we agree or not I still feel Cameron is one of the few people out there who truly understand s the Alien Franchise like we do.

Hopefully they let Ridley do 1 more movie to finish the story, and I hope they get a great writer this time.

Fair enough. I still don't get what you mean by him understanding the franchise though. We all want different things and feel differently about it, I'm happy with the choices Scott has made with the story, some aren't.

Besides, people and tastes change. Directors change. Cameron's latter films are very different from his earlier output and if he were to make another Alien film I doubt it would be what people expect. If Scott can't please us all then Cameron has little chance of doing so either.

Quote from: Highland on Jul 19, 2017, 10:21:50 PM

He made Sully last year and I think he's shooting another film right now. The guys pretty amazing to be fair.

Highland

Highland

QuoteIf Scott can't please us all then Cameron has little chance of doing so either.

Why? I don't get when people predict stuff like this, there's nothing to base it on it's just a wild guess. Suddenly turned into the bash James Cameron thread because your Alien sequel got canned. Guys!

It'd be unlikely that anyone would want to touch a sequel now anyway other than Scott and his mates.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Highland on Jul 19, 2017, 10:21:50 PM

Sully was made last year, and he's currently directing a film.

CelticP

CelticP

I would totally watch a TV Show about David f**king up everyone's day. That would be astounding. But I need his story finished. It'll itch at me forever until it does.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 19, 2017, 08:08:54 PM
I'm not fan of Titanic but saying it's a bad (or any other synonym) movie it's exaggeration. Movie was made in 1997 for 200 millions. It was the most expensive film at that time. What did you expect? It's romantic drama for masses. From teenage girls, housewives to grannies. It's not typical movie for male Alien fans, is it?

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm a fan of film. Alien just happens to be a favourite and why I'm here.

A Night to Remember has always been one of my favourite films, so the subject matter is not the issue.

I have favourite films in practically all genres - even a couple of Musicals and RomComs, but when a film is a horribly shallow retelling of a startlingly tragic moment in history then it's fails in any worthy sense. Spectacular visuals, spectacular money, but the stats on it's appreciation mean nothing to me - it just doesn't do justice to the real event - it's just a naff love story with everything around it just dressing - it wasn't even the first Titanic film to try that approach - it was just the most expensive and self indulgent one.

cucuchu

cucuchu

So now that the prequels series is dead, when do you guys suppose we might see another Alien movie?

I think in maybe 12 to 15 years there will be a complete reboot made. I hope its successful so the franchise can live on long beyond any of us.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: cucuchu on Jul 20, 2017, 02:11:35 AM
So now that the prequels series is dead, when do you guys suppose we might see another Alien movie?

That's assuming it is. Jumping the gun a bit, aren't we?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed