Space Jockey........Engineer or something else?

Started by palerider, Jun 26, 2017, 04:56:42 PM

Author
Space Jockey........Engineer or something else? (Read 31,579 times)

irn

irn

Quote from: SM on Apr 23, 2019, 10:16:44 PM
What's the problem?

My problem with the whole concept is just the complete illogical nonsense of it. Like I said above, it totally takes being immersed in the story away. So to kind of lay it out, the Engineers plot is as follows:

• Engineers came to Earth tens of thousands of years ago.
  • They found this planet full of life that just coincidentally matched their own genetic makeup.
  • They created a new creature (humans) based on themselves but are also genetically almost identical to other primates on this planet anyway.
  • Humans spread all over the world and develop various civilizations and and genetic variation among themselves.
  • Engineers decide they don't like humans two thousand years ago for some reason.

??? ??? ???

So when did they introduce humans? And was it in Africa before the earliest records of humans? It doesn't make any sense. If anything it makes more sense that the Engineers came from Earth and were created BY humans.

Samhain13

Samhain13

You need to use the power of headcanon bro.

Mine is: around hundred of thousands of years ago the Engineers came to our planet and started adding their own DNA into Earth's indigenous life every few thousand or hundred years, manipulating primate evolution so that those apes' descendants would look eventually look more similar to them.

We = mutated apes with Engineer dna gains.

Ridley said on interviews he believed human evolution couldn't happen by "chance", he believes evolution was "assisted". Because we must be that special. So I think that was his intention with his movie.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: irn on Apr 24, 2019, 01:09:17 PM
My problem with the whole concept is just the complete illogical nonsense of it. Like I said above, it totally takes being immersed in the story away. So to kind of lay it out, the Engineers plot is as follows:

• Engineers came to Earth tens of thousands of years ago.
  • They found this planet full of life that just coincidentally matched their own genetic makeup.
  • They created a new creature (humans) based on themselves but are also genetically almost identical to other primates on this planet anyway.
  • Humans spread all over the world and develop various civilizations and and genetic variation among themselves.
  • Engineers decide they don't like humans two thousand years ago for some reason.

??? ??? ???

So when did they introduce humans? And was it in Africa before the earliest records of humans? It doesn't make any sense. If anything it makes more sense that the Engineers came from Earth and were created BY humans.

-Engineers visited a planet, probably Earth.
-Added their dna to the water. Where's water, there's life. So it's fair to assume there were already micro-organisms or small lifeforms around.
-Evolution happened and something evolved into humans.
-They weren't happy with the result so they decide to wipe the slate clean.

Where do you get the idea they created us a whole? And what does the location have anything to do with this?

It all makes sense if you're willing to look beyond your personal opinion.

And there's a theory it's not Earth.
So it's possible we're an indirect result of them seeding life somewhere else. Meaning were a mistake.

irn

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Apr 24, 2019, 08:22:33 PM

-Engineers visited a planet, probably Earth.
-Added their dna to the water. Where's water, there's life. So it's fair to assume there were already micro-organisms or small lifeforms around.
-Evolution happened and something evolved into humans.
-They weren't happy with the result so they decide to wipe the slate clean.

Where do you get the idea they created us a whole? And what does the location have anything to do with this?

It all makes sense if you're willing to look beyond your personal opinion.

And there's a theory it's not Earth.
So it's possible we're an indirect result of them seeding life somewhere else. Meaning were a mistake.

When they do the DNA test on the Engineer head they state that it's a "100% match" to human DNA. I understand that it's possibly implied that they "added their DNA" to Earth billions of years ago in order to create life and for it to be "guided" to evolving into humans. But that just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to anyone who understands biology or evolution.

Baron Von Marlon

Imo it's weird alien space stuff because in the end it's still a movie.
Doesn't have to make sense to us puny humans.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Engineers and David makes a lot more sense with the Alien we're familiar with. Whether that's a good thing or gels with one's headcanon is a separate discussion.

I would like there to be some unspeakably ancient horror behind the Engineers, but no elephant people please. It was the Alien the whole time, trading DNA for biomech, in exchange for an indefinite but recurring supply of fresh bodies. Hence the Engies' glacial paced/planetary scale reproduction.

The Old One

The Old One

Monster Man

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 24, 2019, 06:20:06 PM
Ridley said on interviews he believed human evolution couldn't happen by "chance", he believes evolution was "assisted". Because we must be that special. So I think that was his intention with his movie.

Lovecraft would beg to differ.

SM

SM

We can't be that special if they were going to wipe us out.

And considering old Howard's racism and anti-Semitism, his level of differing may vary slightly.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Monster Man on Apr 25, 2019, 10:39:22 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 24, 2019, 06:20:06 PM

Lovecraft would beg to differ.

https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1299165714p5/9494.jpg

Maybe I should check out his stuff.

Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2019, 02:05:03 AM
We can't be that special if they were going to wipe us out.

In my case I was referring to Ridley's personal views on humanity, not the Engineer's views. Maybe the Engineers just wanted to see how goo creatures spawned from beings similar them would look like, merely academic purposes, scientific curiosity. More interesting than just being angry at us over space Jesus or whatever.

And considering old Howard's racism and anti-Semitism, his level of differing may vary slightly.

Baron Von Marlon

From what I remember, Ridley said we weren't special.
Not in those words, but something like "We have this beautiful planet and what do we do with it, constant wars,..."
Sounded more like he agrees with the Engineers.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 26, 2019, 02:29:44 AMMaybe I should check out his stuff.

Try At The Mountains Of Madness. http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/mm.aspx
It inspired The Thing, Alien, Prometheus,...
But it's one of his longer stories, so it might be a bit heavy for your first Lovecraft.
S you could try The Nameless City instead. http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/nc.aspx
It's a little similar and a lot shorter. As sometimes is the case with his early work compared to his later ones.
Or just take your pic http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/
Anyway, I hope you enjoy his works.

Monster Man

In his defense he chilled out later in life, even married a jewish woman. Just don't ask for the name of his cat.

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Apr 26, 2019, 11:55:41 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 26, 2019, 02:29:44 AMMaybe I should check out his stuff.

Try At The Mountains Of Madness. http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/mm.aspx
It inspired The Thing, Alien, Prometheus,...
But it's one of his longer stories, so it might be a bit heavy for your first Lovecraft.
S you could try The Nameless City instead. http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/nc.aspx
It's a little similar and a lot shorter. As sometimes is the case with his early work compared to his later ones.
Or just take your pic http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/
Anyway, I hope you enjoy his works.

If we're throwing in recs -- don't forget Color of Space. That's also a really good one, Lovecraft's personal favorite.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Monster Man on Apr 27, 2019, 12:52:03 AM
If we're throwing in recs -- don't forget Color of Space. That's also a really good one, Lovecraft's personal favorite.

I can barely remember that one. Certainly will read it again before the upcoming movie.

SM

QuoteIn his defense he chilled out later in life, even married a jewish woman. Just don't ask for the name of his cat.

Yeah, just because he thought Hitler wasn't too bad I didn't want to insinuate he was pro genocide.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Apr 27, 2019, 02:19:14 AM
Quote from: Monster Man on Apr 27, 2019, 12:52:03 AM

I can barely remember that one. Certainly will read it again before the upcoming movie.
Upcoming movie?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed