Ridley Scott Talks Return of Engineers for Alien: Covenant Sequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 21, 2017, 08:21:26 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Return of Engineers for Alien: Covenant Sequel (Read 54,147 times)

Carlo

So, very sadly, I don't expect more than another remake.

John Doe

Im overhyped. We need to see the military Engineers arriving to the planet with their space suits. Ohhh, man, can wait.

Huggs

Well, the transmission David sent at the end of Covenant was estimated to take more than a year to reach earth, if I remember correctly. Add to that the colonists were described as safe and 2 crew members were still alive, with what appears to Walter to help them, where would the human involvement in this story come from? Would Wey-Yu even bother sending someone under those conditions? Even if the company knew for a fact it wasn't Walter and that something happened, you're talking 2 years to receive a message and prep a team, plus travel time, and lack of knowledge of the planet stop the covenant made, plus David might decide to go somewhere else entirely. He and his creations don't need good weather and atmospherics to survive. The colonists do, but he has a whole colony ship to do the dirty work on.

I don't particularly see Daniels and Tennessee as long-term characters. Fassbender might be able to take up a sizeable portion of non-creature screen time, but I can't imagine engineers or aliens getting excessive amounts of it. Well, there are 2000 colonists to pick from afterall, Ridley could cast anyone and have them escape from an alien damaged cryo-pod. Instant human cast. I hope he doesn't go that route, David is far too cunning to let that happen.

LastSurvivor92

I REALLY hope Ridley Scott didn't mean what he said when he said the Engineers plan on going back to investigate the planet David Goo Bombed. Why? I want to see Paradise or LV-426. I don't want to see a lot of back tracking in Covenant's sequel.

I hope it's not THIS PLANET!

tleilaxu

Quote from: Chronicle on Jun 21, 2017, 06:25:31 PM
I REALLY hope Ridley Scott didn't mean what he said when he said the Engineers plan on going back to investigate the planet David Goo Bombed. Why? I want to see Paradise or LV-426. I don't want to see a lot of back tracking in Covenant's sequel.

I hope it's not THIS PLANET!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus
That's exactly what he meant. Why does this offend you so? You don't want to see 8 feet pristine humanoids getting enraged when they see what we did to their people?

D. Compton Ambrose

Hopefully this means RS is returning the focus of the Prequels to the Engineers and their Religion. This would be ideal.

Lee

Leave it to Ridley Scott to lose his train of thought halfway through answering a question.  Dude IS in his 80s, though, and still cranking out films.  Gotta give him that, at least.

Even though I liked "Alien: Covenant" very much, my main gripe about it was that Scott course-corrected too far onto the "Alien" side of things.  As one of a few people on planet Earth who loved "Prometheus," got exactly what I wanted from the film, and was anxious to see where the story went next, the fact that the Engineers got little to no screen time in "Covenant" was extremely disappointing.  I was more interested in that angle than I was in anything else, honestly.  And it seems Scott just blew all that up by getting rid of them altogether.

Now, however, it would seem the Engineers' story is not finished, and for that, I'm very happy.  I don't want Scott to drop all the Engineer stuff because fans wanted more Alien stuff; I'm in the camp that wants it ALL!

Keys

To me the engineer aspect along with their religion, beliefs, black goo, activities and motives and origins were the most interesting subject in Prometheus.

Scott set it up that way to deviate away from the alien aspect and explore new areas of the same universe.

Then he did a U-turn away from it and focused more on the alien in Covenant. I liked the first and second act of the film (and the neomorph) but by the the third I completely lost interest as it was the same thing...blow it outta the airlock! Plus I knew there would be no engineers or at least some kind of expansion on them, by then. Thats what I was looking forward to the most!

The purpose and creation of the black goo, something that had so much intrigue and mystery behind it in Prometheus, was just explained away in one sentence by David. I felt short changed.

I hope the goo is expanded on more in the next one. David did say that he had the last of the original pathogen in his lab, so there must be different variants of it. It needs more exploring, it is the fire of the gods after all!

I remember reading somewhere Ridley stating something along the lines of "who created the creators." Maybe well get to see the engineers creators. Maybe not.

First time post by the way. I've been coming to this site for well over a decade. Don't know why I never joined! :-P

szkoki

"i lost the plot"

yeah in both movies Sir!

a couple of times!

tleilaxu

whiterabbit

I hope Ridley starts the next movie all Revenge of the Sith style and have the rescue team open straight into an epic space battle between the engineers, aliens and something worse.

PierreVW

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 21, 2017, 08:59:15 PM
I hope Ridley starts the next movie all Revenge of the Sith style and have the rescue team open straight into an epic space battle between the engineers, aliens and something worse.

That sounds EPIC!.

razeak

I hope his budget is like 50 million or less. Less big expensive sweeping CGI shots and more plot and character development. Let him try some Guerilla film making again.

Evanus

I want more plot, character development AND expensive sweeping CGI shots. I want this sh*t to be epic.

NetworkATTH

I made a thread the other day that basically near as hell echoes this plot as a direct way forward for the prequels. Just have the Engineers explore why their colony got straight f**ked, realize whatever human/android did this, and learning that its the Covenant. David arrives on Paradise, letting loose a beacon from the Covenant later on to attract other people who could carry the progeny of the Covenant crew that's been festering on "Paradise", what have you. And have the Engineers pissed as f**k their planet of origin suffered genocide, and you got a team that received David's SOS and arrive on paradise some time later. When the aliens get onboard whatever vessel the colonial military arrive on they self destruct, or perhaps not leading to the opening of another sequel.

And it all boils down to the complete genocide of the Engineers homeworld while learning of their culture from whomever followed the Colony Ship's SOS. Which would better explain this poster/marketing gimmick

Whatever happens the last of the engineers mount a counter attack once and for all on Earth now that we pretty much ruined everything beyond their hopes and dreams, relay to the LV-223, but it's too late and many of the Juggernauts fly out into space as their crews as are assaulted, except for one who crash lands on nearby LV-426, let's out a beacon.  Knowing one way or another this is connected to the operation to rescue the Covenant crew from whatever SOS, they triangulate the position to the same Gas Giant, with the same set of moons that were considered quarantine, which the Prometheus went missing from. Intrigued if there might be survivors, or indeed, this hostile race staging an attack on Earth, they get a ship, the Nostromo, a beat up tug nobody would care if they got missing. To locate whatever happened to the Colonial troops far far away on Paradise. And to locate and retrieve whatever killed them off. Nobody would notice if they just simply died and they could intercept the Nostromo once it gets into the core systems on its way to Earth. But Ripley kind of f**ked that all up.

I think the most powerful take away from all of this in a plot sense, is David committed the largest scale genocide on the progenitors of life on Earth, and god knows life on Earth elsewhere throughout the cosmos.  David killed God. And nobody cares. And nobody, perhaps a select few, would know about it. It also explains why the company would want the Alien so badly as a weapon, as it was designed as an extremely potent population leveler, it was designed that way.

And really, for all David wanted to be God, creating his own life, his largest accomplishment in the deepest darkest untraveled part of space, nobody knew or appreciated his work. His goal in his life ultimately proving thankless.

It isn't word for word what I had in mind for a sequel, but it's pretty god damn close as just mental masturbation of where they could go from here. Which is either a plus for me a or a minus for Ridley for being so predictable.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed