Ridley Scott or Neill Blomkamp ?

Started by BigDaddyJohn, Jun 18, 2017, 05:14:14 PM

Who would you like to see direct the next Alien film?

Blomkamp
20 (25%)
Scott
60 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author
Ridley Scott or Neill Blomkamp ? (Read 15,228 times)

BonesawT101

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 21, 2017, 01:47:33 AM
Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 20, 2017, 03:45:36 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 20, 2017, 01:52:22 AM
Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 18, 2017, 10:34:03 PM
Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 18, 2017, 10:15:40 PM
Ridley Scott got 87.1% of the votes.

IT'S FUNNY Ridley got so many votes.

For a second, I was thinking I was the only Ridley Scott fan here.
Nobody bashes George Lucas like Star Wars fans. I'm thinking it's the same phenomenon at work with Ridley and Alien fans. Directors who are successful with their early work almost always have some of their fans turn on them in vicious ways, and I'm sick of it. I didn't like Covenant, but I would never, ever leap to the conclusion that Scott is losing his touch. Imo, Scott only gets better with age.

Well Lucas got it bad from general movie fans as much if not more than from SW fans. Thing is, he got bashed to pieces because he went with a different direction, feel, look and story, same seems to be happening with Scott - people go crazy cause prequels are very different from Alien and Scotts overall classic look/tone/style, and the origins arent what people expected - same as with SW prequels. People just wanted Scott to direct Isolation

I never understand that. George Lucas had a very classic style. And then, he changed a little. Not much either. Just a little. People exaggerate with the Star Wars Prequels.

In the other hand, Ridley Scott NEVER had a classic style. ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER were ahead of its time. Ridley Scott always is trying to be modern or post-modern. His visual style NEVER was classic. In the past or now: in our present. He hasn't really changed.

Oh , that hurts me because he did have a style, and that style of his, the original one, is my all time favorite in movie cinema or art -  he liked harsh light, lots of contrast. He used expressionism a lot in Alien and Blade Runner, backlit silhouettes, lots of haze, strong light beams, that kind of thing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a2/46/7a/a2467aa7684a4697a073e4358a08ebf0.jpg

I dont think change is either good or bad, its just change. His original style, that expressionist style is my favorite of any movie, but back then it was used also to hide sets or miniatures, now, "thanks" to cgi, its not about lighting anymore. The again, nobody from big guys does that anymore. But that style is for me personally a magnificent art

This is my all time favorite shot ever. I saw Blade Runner really late, when I was in my 20s, and remember seeing this for the first time and just going out loud "wow"

Also its one of the things I love most about the original Alien (and Aliens which deliberately used the same style for visual consistency), again, Im a nutcase when it comes to this look

As for Lucas, no hate from me, but he did intentionally wanted the sequels to be different, hence different design style for characters, different worlds , feel etc, but people didnt like that

EDIT: oh by the way , by classic, I dont mean cinema classic, but specific to the artist/director that he became known for in his early work
I noticed similar lighting to the pics you have referenced during the scene where Oram gives birth to the alien. In particular while he is writhing around on the gravel.

D. Compton Ambrose

Ridley is my favorite director, and sometimes I think he gets more shit than he deserves, but after this next prequel film I think he should spend his talent elsewhere and allow new blood to expand the universe.

Mr. Xenomorph

Sir Ridley for me. I'm interested to see where this starship will end up.

Vermillion

Who here is happy David created the Alien?

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Vermillion on Jun 23, 2017, 05:51:40 PM

You're making a funny, right?

Alionic

Alionic

I didn't mind it at all.

BishopShouldGo

I am. It's David. It's Fassbender. It's Ridley. So it's ok.

Even though Ridley has lost his f**king mind.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Instead of thinking of what you WANT to see next what we should be doing is thinking about WHAT THEY SHOULD NOT DO WHATSOEVER:

And that is NOT follow up on the end of ALIEN: COVENANT and instead make an ALIENS 2.5 that retcons A3 and A4. I doesnt matter what you or I think of the Prequels or this latest film, FOX has a serious problem with the thoroughfare of this franchise's storyline. It will render it absolutely indeciferable if they made Aliens 2.5 that retcons A3 and A4 and then never continues from the end of Alien: Covenant.

See... As was the case previously, FOX had a solid plan to have Scott continue the Prequel trilogy and Blomkamp make ALIEN - 5. But as is usual with Hollywood, they second guess everything and don't do the exact things they know they should do - Which EVEN NOW, is to have Scott finish his trilogy and Blomkamp make ALIEN - 5. Not Aliens 2. ALIEN 5. Or EVEN BEST would be for them to find a way to make ALIEN 3 follow Blomkamp's film and then continue ALIEN 4 as a TV series.

WHAT THEY DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT DO: FOX should NOT let Blomkamp anywhere near a movie that retcons ALIEN3 after haveing ended ALIEN COVENANT where they did. And before anyone jumps up to say how much A3 sucks, there is absolutely NO GUARANTEEE Blomkamps movie wont suck even more. There are pictures of Ripley in a xeno-suit and more BS with the f**king Derelict. Enough with that f**king Derelict.

But beyond that, this series is TOO confusing for the casual viewer NOW, letting BLOMKAMP make Aliens 2.5 will be detrimental to the series. It's already a complete mess and needs to be wrangled back in. If Blomkamp makes ALIENS 2 and NOT ALIENS 2.5 (a film which ties into ALIEN 3 and doesnt retcon it) viewers will have no f**king idea what's going on, after seeing ALIEN: COVENANT. Because now, to the casual audience BLOMKAMPS film is a sequel to ALIEN COVENANT.
This is something FANS like us need to understand. Casual audiences dont remember the details of films like this. They see them once or twice, enjoy them and then hopefully will pay to see their sequels.

BECAUSE they attempted to do this wrangling with COVENANT by adding the ALIEN to it we now CANT have BLOMKAMP'S film without Scott's next film. But the problem isn't the title of the inclusion of the Alien, it was that they marketed PROMETHEUS as an Alien Prequel and then shifted with great results. It no longer makes sense to make Blomkamps film without the film after COVENANT. FOX simply cannot greenlight a film that requires the viewer to understand the convoluted progression that Blomkamps film would require. That doesnt even account for how the narative will never make sense with continuing from Covenant.

For instance, it was one thing to ask people to ignore AVP and AVPR. At this point you are asking audiences to legit accept having no idea of what's going on at all. Casual audiences ARE familiar with PROMETHEUS and A3 and A:R. Even AVP and etc. If they move forward with Blomkamps Aliens 2.5 and retcon A3 and A4 it will be the final blow for the series. You can THINK as much as you want that as long as you get Ripley Newt and Hicks back it would be worth it, but Filmmaking is risky. Its hard to get everything right, especially when youre re-making a part 3 which is also part 8 or 10, depending on who is watching. And that says 3 or 8 or 10 crap is basically all that needs to be said.

All of these stupid decisions started with A:R. And its the same logic being applied now. Its not about what people want to see, its about fixing what was broken WHERE it was broken and not breaking things further.

If FOX cant see the problem they are making for themselves here they are blind. Here's the path forward and WHY:

Ridley makes the 3rd part of the Prequel TRILOGY (not 5 f**king films or 6, 3 only and make the last one longer) and DONT EXCLUDE PROMETHEUS because this is ALSO confusing casual fans. Here's why its a mess - First Prometheus was an Alien Prequel then it wasnt then it was anyway but not really because it didnt have the alien. Then Covenant was PARADISE: aka Prometheus 2, then it was ALIEN: PARADISE LOST, then it was ALIEN: COVENANT - but marketet as if it was NOT Prometheus 2 and ended up being f**king PROMETHEUS 3 heavy handed ties to ALIEN.

Ridley needs to make one more film, its should be 2.5 hours long and end the prequel trilogy in a way that leaves thing open for these characters to appear later.

SECOND - Fox needs to Greenlight BLOMKAMPS film with SCOTT PRODUCING only and insist that he make his film ALIEN 5 and not ALIEN 2.5 because theyve made such a giant mess out of this series' trajectory that they are going to completely ruin the ability to fix things if they try to make Aliens 2 - unless they insist BLOMKAMP finds a way to make it tie into the beginning of ALIEN 3. Which, IMO isn't hard to do.
Fox needs to insist on Alien 5 and Aliens 2 that doesnt retcon 3 or completely ditch his project and wait for him to do a standalone film.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Alionic on Jun 23, 2017, 07:16:29 PM

I didn't mind it at all.

I don't mind it either, to be honest. It's not my personal preference for the origin of the Aliens, but at least it's better and more interesting than the engineers considering how they've been handled in the prequels.

I'm not sure if anyone is actually happy that David is responsible for creating the Alien, much less suspected such an origin before Covenant came around.

newagescamartist

I'm actually very happy. Much better than it being an engineer or space jockey creation. It gives the entire series more depth especially concerning the trust/mistrust of synthetics. The xenomorph being bio-mech also makes more sense.

Vermillion

I personally think it would of been better that we never knew how, who or what created them.

Mysteries of the universe.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

I'm not really "happy" about it, but it just seems logical somehow. All those people who thought or wanted the xenomorph to be some independently evolving thing on some "really dark and evil planet" have obviously read too many comics  ;D
Everything about it reeked of manufacture from the get go, even the biomechanical look itself.

windebieste

There's that. ...and the fact the facehugger fits perfectly on a human head as if it was designed to do so; plus the fact this is an extraterrestrial parasite which is compatible with human biology.  The organism was manufactured for a purpose fits the bill better than one that has evolved to do so.

Even if such a thing had evolved naturally, how is it compatible with breeding humans in the first place

A manufactured organism it is.  After all, there's nothing natural about what the adult Alien looks like, either. 

-Windebieste

palerider

palerider

To be honest...........neither !......BUT !.....If there will be a third movie it should be Ridley.........If I were an executive in Fox I would give him unlimited sources, open check,whatever he demands  to clean up the mess he created...............I'll do the sacking later.

juxtapose

juxtapose

i have never cared who was responsible for the creation of the alien or were it came from.. .if david is responsible then so be it. .i am surprised how many fans are on about this. .the black goo and all its healthy goodness is the main ingredient in the xeno recipe and it was not created by david. .so theirs always that back door left wide open. .for those who seem so concerned about who created the alien. .

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed