Covenant's Creature FX

Started by juxtapose, Jun 11, 2017, 01:21:41 PM

What did you think of the creature Fx  in Covenant?

Excellent!
24 (25.3%)
Very good, with slight room for improvement.
33 (34.7%)
Felt adequite but underwelming.
29 (30.5%)
Very poor, my eyes nearly bled!
9 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author
Covenant's Creature FX (Read 13,965 times)

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .so basicly in a nutshell. .what are you saying. .?. .you make it sound like you dont like technology in film and want everything to be practical. .the sets were all practical. .the creatures not. .and cgi does not come cheap and it's an art form. .a very time consuming practice that requires a huge deal of planning. .
They use practical where they can. .but a movie like jurassic park would not have worked back in the 70's. .the man in a suit can only do so much. .and the moment it looks like a guy in a suit. .thats also severely bad. .a joke really. .thats the other extreme. .but i get what you saying. .cgi must not stand out and look unreal. .i never felt like that while watching covenant. .

SM

SM

QuoteSometimes I feel people who didn't grow up on practical f/x are far too forgiving towards CGI because
they didn't grow up during the heyday of practical.

Sometimes I feel people who did grow up on practical f/x have glasses that are too rose coloured in their tint.

juxtapose

juxtapose

i agree on trailers tho. .back in the day when i was a kid and dinosaurs was still roaming the planet. . .we use to go to drive-ins. .their was one trailer that come out like a month before the movies release. .and one tv spot that was basicly just a short version of the one in theaters. .so u knew very little of the movie until you actually saw it. .i miss that to a certain digree. .

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SM on Jun 13, 2017, 09:42:50 AM
QuoteSometimes I feel people who didn't grow up on practical f/x are far too forgiving towards CGI because

Sometimes I feel people who did grow up on practical f/x have glasses that are too rose coloured in their tint.

You just cant beat a good old rubber looking shark can you.

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 13, 2017, 09:52:20 AM
i agree on trailers tho. .back in the day when i was a kid and dinosaurs was still roaming the planet. . .we use to go to drive-ins. .their was one trailer that come out like a month before the movies release. .and one tv spot that was basicly just a short version of the one in theaters. .so u knew very little of the movie until you actually saw it. .i miss that to a certain digree. .

The original Alien trailer is one of the greatest ever. Its terrifying but gives absolutely nothing away. I really liked the original Prometheus and Covenant trailers too, they were along the same lines but then they just start showing more and more footage the closer you get to release.

I cant believe they screened the medbay sequence before release either, its arguably the films strongest sequence.

SM

SM

I remember being gobsmacked when the preview for Empire Strikes Back was on TV (before we called them trailers).  There was no VCR and all we had was our recollections and doing drawings about what we thought it all meant.

That's just nostalgia - it was all we had and it was great.

But I like being able to watch a trailer over and over in HD if I want.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SM on Jun 13, 2017, 10:04:07 AM
I remember being gobsmacked when the preview for Empire Strikes Back was on TV (before we called them trailers).  There was no VCR and all we had was our recollections and doing drawings about what we thought it all meant.

That's just nostalgia - it was all we had and it was great.

But I like being able to watch a trailer over and over in HD if I want.

I like being able to watch them over and over I just don't like that they give too much of the film away. I know you don't have to watch them and all but I clearly have no will power and cant help myself. I did manage to stop myself downloading the Medbay bootleg though, thank goodness.

juxtapose

juxtapose

as a kid i would also grow so obsessed with movies. .i had a thing for king kong. .that 70's version with jessica lang. .i remember so little of it now. .but in the end when kong died. .she went hysterical. .and so did i . .i saw her in american horror story and she still has it. .one of the finest actresses of the century. .going of topic. .but these fays i love watching trailers over and over. .they a bit like music videos. .alot of replay value. .prometheus and that music. .still one of the best trailers i have ever seen!

the medbay scene was the one thing i also did not spoil myself with. .and i am glad i left that for the whole cinematic experience. .i was surprised in the end that their was plenty i had'nt seen yet once i finally got to see the movie. .here and their the final cut also showed certain trailer bits from a slightly different angle. .when danny said. .we don't know what the f**k is out their. .the camera was on oram. .little things like that. .prom trailers spoiled alot more . .

nanison

nanison

MnTd what are your favorite films regarding the period of 1975-1985? Loved your post. I like modern films too but none of them have the magic like the old ones.
Regarding to trailers, this was the last time I ruined a movie experience (with Covenant) I went into it expecting a shit film only because I read this board (and watch the trailers). I have found out time and time again that the films I watch without any knowledge of them are always the best experience.
I will avoid this forum when things of the predator start to get leaked. But perhaps it's already too late, I know of every actor that's going to be in it, even that is too much knowledge.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: nanison on Jun 13, 2017, 10:37:43 AM
MnTd what are your favorite films regarding the period of 1975-1985? Loved your post. I like modern films too but none of them have the magic like the old ones.
Regarding to trailers, this was the last time I ruined a movie experience (with Covenant) I went into it expecting a shit film only because I read this board (and watch the trailers). I have found out time and time again that the films I watch without any knowledge of them are always the best experience.
I will avoid this forum when things of the predator start to get leaked. But perhaps it's already too late, I know of every actor that's going to be in it, even that is too much knowledge.

I think much of that magic is just nostalgia though. However, I do think part of what made those films so good at the time is you couldn't find out anything about them beforehand. For instance, you didn't know who would die or when which made it more of an edge of your seat experience. The covenant trailers pretty much showed you every characters death so when those moments come along the tension is diluted.

I'm going to make a concerted effort to stop spoiling films i'm really excited about in the future starting with IT. I've watched the first trailer and that's going to be the last.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: MnTd on Jun 13, 2017, 07:07:21 AM
Sometimes I feel people who didn't grow up on practical f/x are far too forgiving towards CGI because

That's not what I've seen. If anything, I find younger people to be more critical of cgi, as well as other aspects of film.

juxtapose

juxtapose

. . .god i am looking forward to IT. .i read the book and was not overly impressed with the TV series. .but the movie looks like it will deliver more. .and the trailer shows very little. .it also has the record for most views on youtube and other social networks. .so it should do quite well. .can't wait. .we are so veering of topic. .as the O.P of this thread i command you to stop this trailer and nostalgia nonsence. .lol, just kidding. .have fun!

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 13, 2017, 11:13:02 AM
. . .god i am looking forward to IT. .i read the book and was not overly impressed with the TV series. .but the movie looks like it will deliver more. .and the trailer shows very little. .it also has the record for most views on youtube and other social networks. .so it should do quite well. .can't wait. .we are so veering of topic. .as the O.P of this thread i command you to stop this trailer and nostalgia nonsence. .lol, just kidding. .have fun!

I read the book about 30 years ago so have forgotten much of it but remember how much it frightened me. Tim Curry was great as Pennywise but everything else about it was pretty poor though.

SM

SM

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 13, 2017, 10:51:33 AM

I think much of that magic is just nostalgia though. However, I do think part of what made those films so good at the time is you couldn't find out anything about them beforehand. For instance, you didn't know who would die or when which made it more of an edge of your seat experience. The covenant trailers pretty much showed you every characters death so when those moments come along the tension is diluted.

I'm going to make a concerted effort to stop spoiling films i'm really excited about in the future starting with IT. I've watched the first trailer and that's going to be the last.

I watched the Covenant trailers and apart from Oram I couldn't remember any of the specific deaths.  Perhaps because I didn't analyse the bejesus out of them.  For ages I thought the motes were going into Oram's ear.  I didn't know if it was David or Walter in the white room talking to (I assumed) Weyland.

juxtapose

juxtapose

from your nick jonesy1974. .i am guessing thats your birth year. .i am only slightly older than you. .i think alot of guys on here are still in their teens and view us as pensioners. .so is matt damon a pensioner then. .how about ridley scott. .what a fosil. .lol. .returning to it. .the book was gruesom. .their was a part with flying maggots or leeches sucking on a victim till they literally exploded in a shower of blood and gore that was so graphic i actually got naseaus and felt a bit dizzy. .it was so graphic and i think my imagination got the better of me. .cause when u read a book their is part of your brain that plays of like a movie. .often a very detailed set with characters and plenty detail. .once you see the movie. .it pales in comparison. .hope it will deliver something closer to what i invisioned. .the tv show was far off. .

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SM on Jun 13, 2017, 11:25:00 AM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 13, 2017, 10:51:33 AM

I watched the Covenant trailers and apart from Oram I couldn't remember any of the specific deaths.  Perhaps because I didn't analyse the bejesus out of them.  For ages I thought the motes were going into Oram's ear.  I didn't know if it was David or Walter in the white room talking to (I assumed) Weyland.

I knew Oram gets the chest burst and knew Karine and Faris would both die in the Medbay sequence due to the lander exploding. Also knowing anyone going for a shower at any stage in the film wasn't going to work out well either. I knew it was David with Weyland at the start, I can't remember how, but that wasn't from the trailer.

I kinda expected Tennessee to die as well so that was a nice surprise.

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 13, 2017, 11:36:24 AM
from your nick jonesy1974. .i am guessing thats your birth year. .i am only slightly older than you. .i think alot of guys on here are still in their teens and view us as pensioners. .so is matt damon a pensioner then. .how about ridley scott. .what a fosil. .lol. .returning to it. .the book was gruesom. .their was a part with flying maggots or leeches sucking on a victim till they literally exploded in a shower of blood and gore that was so graphic i actually got naseaus and felt a bit dizzy. .it was so graphic and i think my imagination got the better of me. .cause when u read a book their is part of your brain that plays of like a movie. .often a very detailed set with characters and plenty detail. .once you see the movie. .it pales in comparison. .hope it will deliver something closer to what i invisioned. .the tv show was far off. .

My Birth year!!! I'm 21! lol I wish. This place does make me feel old some times.

Now you mention that bit in the book I vaguely remember it and how horrific it was too. Lots of the scariest stuff from the book was left out of the Series as I remember it, hopefully they include it this time round.

Books are always scarier though, as you say, your imagination is far worse than anything they can show you.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed