Why wasn't Alien: Covenant filmed in 3D?

Started by whiterabbit, Jun 05, 2017, 07:53:10 AM

Author
Why wasn't Alien: Covenant filmed in 3D? (Read 16,127 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jun 05, 2017, 11:42:30 PM
It's the first time Wolski and Ridley drop the Red Cameras to the Alexa.
Arri's Alexa aren't the most known camera (especially the big XT they used) to perform flawlessly in 3D.
The rigs are a nightmares.
They also choose some specific vintage lenses which aren't 3D compatible.

Prometheus was also really well thought since day one for 3D (and the use of Red camera) they have an impressive amount of Helicopter shots both for the wide landscape shots and more intimate action sequences. It just happened to match perfectly with the film giving great depth.
Alien Covenant wouldn't have felt the same and many scene could not have been shot the way they were.

It looks like they used the Red's again for the aerial shots in Covenant. Probably because they used a custom, one-of-a-kind helicopter rig that would only accommodate that specific type of camera.

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 06, 2017, 07:05:13 AM
Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 06, 2017, 04:10:42 AM
Ridley wanted 3D, and Wolski wanted to shoot celluloid. Sounds like they compromised by shooting 2D with with Arri cameras and vintage lenses. But Scott didn't get what he wanted, and that shouldn't have happened, imo.

Wolski likes digital. They didn't compromise anything. It wasn't their call.

Wolski mentioned in an interview a few months before they started filming that he was "going to push for 65mm (aka 70mm)". I assumed at the time that he meant celluloid, but you do actually now get 65mm digital cameras like the Arri Alexa 65. Not sure if a feature film has ever been entirely shot with it before.

Ingwar

QuoteFor the production, Wolski paired Arri Alexa XT and Mini cameras — recording ArriRaw files — with Angenieux Optimo DP Rouge 16- 42mm (T2.8 ) and 30-80mm (T2.8 ) zooms, a Panavision 19-90mm (T2.8 ) Primo Compact Zoom, and Panavision PVintage primes.

QuoteHow does that factor of 3D versus 2D influence your selection of camera?
Wolski:
We definitely started using the Red Epic on Prometheus because its size made the 3D rigs much smaller and more flexible. For Alien: Covenant all the cameras were Alexas, which has really become the most reliable, consistent camera as far as I'm concerned. The problem with all these new cameras coming out is that things are changing so fast you have to spend all your time testing, figuring out the workflow and everything else.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ac/ac0617/index.php?email_cmp=JuneQRCode#/64

PierreVW

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 06, 2017, 08:02:16 PM
QuoteFor the production, Wolski paired Arri Alexa XT and Mini cameras — recording ArriRaw files — with Angenieux Optimo DP Rouge 16- 42mm (T2.8 ) and 30-80mm (T2.8 ) zooms, a Panavision 19-90mm (T2.8 ) Primo Compact Zoom, and Panavision PVintage primes.

QuoteHow does that factor of 3D versus 2D influence your selection of camera?
Wolski:
We definitely started using the Red Epic on Prometheus because its size made the 3D rigs much smaller and more flexible. For Alien: Covenant all the cameras were Alexas, which has really become the most reliable, consistent camera as far as I'm concerned. The problem with all these new cameras coming out is that things are changing so fast you have to spend all your time testing, figuring out the workflow and everything else.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ac/ac0617/index.php?email_cmp=JuneQRCode#/64

Wolski lied.

Sir Ridley Scott loves Wolski because he is the Expert in Digital.

PROMETHEUS was the First Digital from Sir Ridley Scott. Before that, Sir Ridley only worked with celluloid.

So, yes. No 3D for COVENANT. Still, COVENANT was 100% Digital.

whiterabbit

I knew there had to be more to it than just cost and it all sounds like a lot of thought and reality went into the decision to not go 3D.

PierreVW

For the record, I love the Digital look.

PROMETHEUS, THE COUNSELOR, EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS, THE MARTIAN and ALIEN: COVENANT were 100% Digital and I loved it.

Digital looks great from Sir Ridley Scott and David Fincher.

gold

Its so obvious that the 3D haters are people who've never bought a 3D tv set or a 3D home projector.

SiL

They probably didn't buy them because they don't like 3D and aren't going to waste money on something they don't enjoy. :D

SM

SM

Quote from: gold on Aug 06, 2017, 04:10:00 AM
Its so obvious that the 3D haters are people who've never bought a 3D tv set or a 3D home projector.

It's so obvious the 3D fanboys have never gotten a headache from a 3D TV set or a 3D home projector.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

3D in TV industry is passe and there are even no new 2017 TV sets with 3D capabilities.

Even in the cinema industry, IMAX is veering away from the 3D format and there will be fewer 3D films. There are fewer film-makers utilizing 3D cameras whilst filming and even if someone decides to apply 3D effects, it's mostly in post-production.

http://www.techradar.com/news/even-imax-is-turning-its-back-on-3d-films

I just wanted to educate you folks, because I kind of work in the industry.

Gash

3D raises it's head every decade or so, this wave has lasted longer because it's generally been more effective than previous efforts, but essentially it's served its purpose in hiking up cinema tickets across the board.

I suspect that is its lasting legacy and it will largely fade away yet again. Saw War for the Planet of the Apes and 3D added nothing to it at all.

Prometheus and Gravity were the most effective efforts I've seen, because of the depth of field that those films portray.

stephen

I love the look of a 3D film.

Some 3D films are better then others.

I think it's unfortunate for some people who have an adverse physical reaction to a 3D film.

Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about - movies are released in both formats so those that want to see it in 3D can go and see it in 3D and those that want to see it in 2D can go and see it in 2D.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: stephen on Aug 07, 2017, 01:39:26 AM
Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about - movies are released in both formats so those that want to see it in 3D can go and see it in 3D and those that want to see it in 2D can go and see it in 2D.

Sadly that's changing, as evidenced with Covenant.

stephen

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 07, 2017, 03:35:23 PM
Quote from: stephen on Aug 07, 2017, 01:39:26 AM

Sadly that's changing, as evidenced with Covenant.

For those of us that love 3D yeah.

But I accept that there are legitimate reasons not to film in 3D.  Budget being one of them.

Xenofan326

I was disappointed that Covenant was not a 3D presentation because I think that the viewing experience of Prometheus was enhanced by 3D.

When done 'properly', 3D visuals are entirely complementary to three-dimensional soundtracks (Dolby and DTS); and Prometheus is one of the best examples of this. Like a number of the respondents to this thread, I too cannot watch Prometheus in 2D because I know how terrific it looks in 3D; I fear the day when my 3D television gives up the ghost because I'm doomed to 2D viewing.

As I watched Covenant in the theatre, I kept thinking how great 'this' or 'that' scene would have been in 3D. At home, watching the Blu-ray, I still lament the decision to shoot 'flat'.

I often wonder if the lack of general interest in theatrical-3D is down to the absence of 'in your face' pop-out effects - a feature which misses the entire point of three-dimensional imagery.

On the 'consumer' front, I'm convinced that the half-resolution 'passive' system, coupled with the tendency of many viewers to sit too far from their TV's to actually perceive the 3D-effect, are the principal reasons for 3D's demise in the home-cinema arena. The expense of glasses for the 'active' system, and the mean-spiritedness of manufacturers to provide at least four-pairs, also contributed; but as the majority of consumers plumped for the 'cheaper' format, the end of consumer-3D was probably a foregone conclusion.

My opinion is that 3D, like LaserDisc, was wasted on the average consumer.   

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Xenofan326 on Sep 03, 2017, 10:15:29 AM
I was disappointed that Covenant was not a 3D presentation because I think that the viewing experience of Prometheus was enhanced by 3D.

When done 'properly', 3D visuals are entirely complementary to three-dimensional soundtracks (Dolby and DTS); and Prometheus is one of the best examples of this. Like a number of the respondents to this thread, I too cannot watch Prometheus in 2D because I know how terrific it looks in 3D; I fear the day when my 3D television gives up the ghost because I'm doomed to 2D viewing.

As I watched Covenant in the theatre, I kept thinking how great 'this' or 'that' scene would have been in 3D. At home, watching the Blu-ray, I still lament the decision to shoot 'flat'.

I often wonder if the lack of general interest in theatrical-3D is down to the absence of 'in your face' pop-out effects - a feature which misses the entire point of three-dimensional imagery.

On the 'consumer' front, I'm convinced that the half-resolution 'passive' system, coupled with the tendency of many viewers to sit too far from their TV's to actually perceive the 3D-effect, are the principal reasons for 3D's demise in the home-cinema arena. The expense of glasses for the 'active' system, and the mean-spiritedness of manufacturers to provide at least four-pairs, also contributed; but as the majority of consumers plumped for the 'cheaper' format, the end of consumer-3D was probably a foregone conclusion.

My opinion is that 3D, like LaserDisc, was wasted on the average consumer.   
But I thought LaserDisc WAS for connoisseurs whereas 3D in home media was for try-hards who didn't exactly know what they were after. I think the problem was that there was not that much of this kind of content because it also didn't take off for games. And now 4K and HDR is becoming ubiquitious everywhere because there actually is content across different kind of media.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed