[Spoiler] David and Alien Egg in Alien: Covenant Novelisation.

Started by gantarat, May 24, 2017, 12:07:37 AM

Author
[Spoiler] David and Alien Egg in Alien: Covenant Novelisation. (Read 11,060 times)

426Buddy

Space7Horror

Quote from: rabidranger on May 24, 2017, 01:39:40 AM
Quote from: Space7Horror on May 24, 2017, 01:07:30 AM
If this is held true and the eggs were left behind by the engineers then I would feel much better about the film, hopefully thr prequel novel builds on this some more.

If true it demonizes the Engineers even further.

It also would show that experiments also took place on paradise, this would also explain how David got the idea to perform the experiments.

bb-15

Quote from: dookie on May 24, 2017, 01:57:18 AM
I really prefer this angle to David being the outright creator of the Xeno.

Fortunately, Ridley left himself some wiggle room. Time to get to wiggling.  ;D

Scott certainly did leave himself 'wiggle room' in the interview that people are quoting about David creating xenomorphs.
Here is another part of that interview.

QuoteRidley Scott: I can lift the lid off of this by asking the key question; who, what and when and who created this for what purpose
So, that provoked "Prometheus".

If the viewer learns "who created this" from "Prometheus", then the creator is the Engineers.
And in "Prometheus" there are some stages of the xenomorph life cycle on the relief / wall sculpture.

;) 

AcheronHunter

I firmly HOPE that David's trick to being God is taming something the Creators of his Creator couldn't even handle. Somewhere out there is an ancient derelict full of thousands of eggs and David is headed there with thousands of hosts, of course after having seen the proof of concept in his Protomorphs and having knowledge of Engineer astrogation.

But no. Ridley may ultimately go full Lucas on us.

banecat

can someone please explain from the film, or novel, what david goes on about that insect/parasite. i remember he said it came from an egg, but i didn't quite understand what egg he meant

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 24, 2017, 12:20:50 AM
So...the novel leans towards David recreating what the Engineers did? I would hope this is true but Ridley's interview puts a damper on that.
I dont know why people aren't getting this grey area from the film alone.
There is nothing to worry about.
Prometheus and the Black Goo tell us David did not create the Xenomorph. He is perfecting it. When he says he created the 'Perfect Organism' people are taking it in a much too black and white way. We don't know how much the Engineers dealt with this creature before because obviously they didn't breed it ON PARADISE because they lived there.
The idea if you think it through, is that the Engineers created the Black Goo, which creates all manner of this pathogen, leading to variations of the Xenomorph, like the Deacon and Neomorph, which David is then picking and choosing the developments of, between these variations.
Lord only knows what other horrors that stuff could make. For instance there was quite a nasty picture of this giant thing eating a person's face in the film. We haven't seen that yet!
Instead of being so upset over whether David made the Xeno the way we see it in the film (or in Alien) think of how much these developments allow us to see that we haven't yet.

To put it another way:

Based on what we learn in Covenant ANY MANNER OF INTERSPECIES MATING CAN OCCUR BETWEEN THE VARIOUS RESULTS OF THE PATHOGEN, OPENING THE DOORS TO SOME TRULY LOVECRAFTIAN HORRORS.

For instance, imagine the trilobite inseminating a neomorph - See where this is going? I'll bet we get to see a whole slew of stuff in the next one.

Highland

Quote from: CainsSon on May 24, 2017, 03:45:14 AM
So...the novel leans towards David recreating what the Engineers did? I would hope this is true but Ridley's interview puts a damper on that.
Prometheus and the Black Goo tell us David did not create the Xenomorph. He is perfecting it. When he says he created the 'Perfect Organism' people are taking it in a much too black and white way. We don't know how much the Engineers dealt with this creature before because obviously they didn't breed it ON PARADISE because they lived there.
The idea if you think it through, is that the Engineers created the Black Goo, which creates all manner of this pathogen, leading to variations of the Xenomorph, like the Deacon and Neomorph, which David is then picking and choosing the developments of, between these variations.
Lord only knows what other horrors that stuff could make. For instance there was quite a nasty picture of this giant thing eating a person's face in the film. We haven't seen that yet!
Instead of being so upset over whether David made the Xeno the way we see it in the film (or in Alien) think of how much these developments allow us to see that we haven't yet.

To put it another way:

Based on what we learn in Covenant ANY MANNER OF INTERSPECIES MATING CAN OCCUR BETWEEN THE VARIOUS RESULTS OF THE PATHOGEN, OPENING THE DOORS TO SOME TRULY LOVECRAFTIAN HORRORS.

For instance, imagine the trilobite inseminating a neomorph - See where this is going? I'll bet we get to see a whole slew of stuff in the next one.

This is correct, but I think most people's beefs come from the fact that they thought the Alien was the "original and best" and everything else derived from that, not the other way around. I think most fans head canon preference, if you take covenant out of the picture was/is probably more like -

The Alien - Strange black Goo - Mutated versions

and not

Strange Black Goo - Mutant Versions - Experiments - The Alien

0321recon

If this is one of those cut scenes, boy I hope it finds itself in a extended/director's cut of the film.

SpeedyMaxx

Everything in that post would've helped a lot.

I do wonder if ADF went rogue on the alien's genesis. If so good for him.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Highland on May 24, 2017, 03:58:35 AM
Quote from: CainsSon on May 24, 2017, 03:45:14 AM

To put it another way:

This is correct, but I think most people's beefs come from the fact that they thought the Alien was the "original and best" and everything else derived from that, not the other way around. I think most fans head canon preference, if you take covenant out of the picture was/is probably more like -

The Alien - Strange black Goo - Mutated versions

and not

Strange Black Goo - Mutant Versions - Experiments - The Alien

There's another possibility:

Alien ~> Black Goo (distilled "essence" derived from the Alien) ~> mixed with other things (creates Trilobite, Hammerpede, Fifeld, Deacon, Neomorphs) ~> mixed with certain things (creates something resembling the original Alien, e.g. David's Xenomorph)

David doesn't need to be aware that he's reverse engineering something for that to be what he's doing. :)

Highland

I guess we will find out. If David is responsible for the LV426 Derelict eggs, the wiggle room starts to become too tight for me.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Highland on May 24, 2017, 05:14:28 AM
I guess we will find out. If David is responsible for the LV426 Derelict eggs, the wiggle room starts to become too tight for me.

locusta

Wow, that would make so much more sense and I could live much better with the movie in ways.

Especially it would explain at least a tiny bit, why Oram is so damns stupid Prometheus like acting. As he sees no danger in the eggs.

Might give the novelization a try.

proto leech

really wish the film went in this direction.

The Cruentus

Unfortunately there is still that interview, like what someone else said, I too tried to interpret it as Ridley only talking about the Covenant variant but that is just grasping to be honest.

I too think of it (or used as I am not sure anymore) as Alien - black liquid - various mutations/terraforming.
Because in terms of effectiveness, the chemical trumps the Xeno.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed