[SPOILERS] So Covenant confirms that AvP and AvPR are not canon films.

Started by bacchus, May 13, 2017, 11:29:48 PM

Author
[SPOILERS] So Covenant confirms that AvP and AvPR are not canon films. (Read 93,657 times)

Huggs

When the corporation was founded and which version of Weyland was is charge is dependent on the needs of the movie.

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 23, 2020, 11:47:32 AM
Is that your blog?

The interpretations are certainly... creative.

Xenomrph

Wow this thread got a lot of replies while I was away.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 04, 2020, 11:40:10 AM
Wow this thread got a lot of replies while I was away.

There could have been a team-up!

Xenomrph

EJA

Even if you do ignore the AVP movies, you still can't fix Covenant's depiction of the Alien's origin to make it an older creature. The film does not leave any wriggle room in that department.

426Buddy

It could be easily adjusted, hand waved, or just plain ignored.

Sequels do it all the time.

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: EJA on May 23, 2020, 08:33:42 PM
Even if you do ignore the AVP movies, you still can't fix Covenant's depiction of the Alien's origin to make it an older creature. The film does not leave any wriggle room in that department.
Except.. It kinda does? Sure the original film implies it's ancient. But it doesn't outright confirm it.

Edit: Or do you mean retconning Covenant? In that case, it's possible to change it. David is an unreliable narrator, he's making errors and all that. Thematically it could be problematic though.

j0nesy

j0nesy

even without the knowledge of adf's adaptation, or david's short, i always felt he was just "recreating" his version of whatever the engineer's created previously (who i also felt were creating their own version). in my mind, i prefer the idea that the xeno gene is something that wasn't created, but ancient, mysterious and always there

426Buddy

426Buddy

^Same page lol totally inline with that thinking.

Plus David realising he still never had the ability to create and was a malfunctioning machine would be an epic fall for a great villain.

Stitch

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 23, 2020, 11:36:31 PM
^Same page lol totally inline with that thinking.

Plus David realising he still never had the ability to create and was a malfunction machine would be an epic fall for q great villain.
Which would tie in with the Byron/Shelley thing. David's been getting thing wrong for a long time, and not realising it.

OpenMaw

In other words its completely false to say that Covenant leaves no wiggle room.

For all we know, while all the stuff is going on with Covenant and David, the ancient Engineer ship is still sitting there on LV-426.

Voodoo Magic

There's wiggle room for anything. But until it wiggles out and isn't, it is:

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 24, 2020, 12:29:38 PM
There's wiggle room for anything. But until it wiggles out and isn't, it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjEF8QCLyW0

Pretty sure people understand what scotts intention was, they also understand he will probably change his mind by the next film. The intention in Prometheus was that the engineers created the alien and that changed by the next flick.

Kradan

Yep

But what you gonna do when it will turn out that Ripley was responsible all along ? How about such change of mind ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed