[SPOILERS] David: Creator...or RE-creator?

Started by EJA, May 12, 2017, 01:39:35 PM

Creator or re-creator?

Creator (Aliens don't exist before David makes them on Paradise)
52 (22.3%)
Re-creator (Engineers originally created Aliens long ago, and David is just inspired to make his own)
181 (77.7%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Author
[SPOILERS] David: Creator...or RE-creator? (Read 75,320 times)

Jonesy1974

Quote from: gantarat on May 12, 2017, 02:15:59 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: gantarat on May 12, 2017, 02:04:33 PM
Quote from: Evanus on May 12, 2017, 01:55:19 PM
It would be better if he recreated them. But he didn't. He's their original creator. Ridley Scott straight up confirmed it. That's enough proof for me. But of course it's possible he'll change his mind, again.

and he should becasue he just make normal people/fan confuse about prometheus mural and alien egg on lv-426.

Normal people don't care about it.  Normal people don't remember the 2 second clip of the mural in Prometheus and the egg is not an issue because Scott is going to explain how they got there.

if you go reddit or movie/entertaine website you can see they remember . (mural very outstanding how the hell they not remember ?)

If they are posting on movie websites then they aren't normal people lol. As Robopadna has pointed out the vast majority of people who saw Prometheus wouldn't even know what that mural meant nevermind remember it!

I saw the film the first time with my wife at the cinema and mentioned the mural after it had finished... she had no clue what I was talking about! I remember this cause it pissed me off at the time.

gantarat

Funny that Mural have Giger's original facehugger concept art

Robopadna

Quote from: gantarat on May 12, 2017, 02:15:59 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: gantarat on May 12, 2017, 02:04:33 PM
Quote from: Evanus on May 12, 2017, 01:55:19 PM
It would be better if he recreated them. But he didn't. He's their original creator. Ridley Scott straight up confirmed it. That's enough proof for me. But of course it's possible he'll change his mind, again.

and he should becasue he just make normal people/fan confuse about prometheus mural and alien egg on lv-426.

Normal people don't care about it.  Normal people don't remember the 2 second clip of the mural in Prometheus and the egg is not an issue because Scott is going to explain how they got there.

if you go reddit or movie/entertaine website you can see they remember . (mural very outstanding how the hell they not remember ?)

You are talking about sites with people dedicated to exploring these movies at an insane level of detail.  that isn't 95% of the audience.  Most people watch it, have an opinion and move on with their life.  They will not remember a several second throw away scene in a half decade old movie.  They probably attached zero significance to it when they were watching it live.

Citadel

Ridley cannot play off the mural as fan service. It's so obviously there, a part of the ship. It represents the deacon. David perhaps THINKS he is the creator due to his madness, but also due to his ignorance. He didn't know of the deacon in Prometheus because presumably they left before its birth.

Evanus

Quote from: Citadel on May 12, 2017, 02:35:02 PM
Ridley cannot play off the mural as fan service. It's so obviously there, a part of the ship. It represents the deacon. David perhaps THINKS he is the creator due to his madness, but also due to his ignorance. He didn't know of the deacon in Prometheus because presumably they left before its birth.
Ridley doesn't care. He'll just ignore it.

Sad, but probably the truth.  :-\

gantarat

Quote from: Citadel on May 12, 2017, 02:35:02 PM

i wonder every ship have this mural too ?

Rush Hour Rambo

If he isn't the original creator then what are we watching with these movies? They are already a obscure mess for me as it is.

JokersWarPig

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 12, 2017, 01:54:46 PM
I prefer to think David just found an engineer recipe to create the alien using the black goo.

This.

David should never have been the one to "create" the alien as we know it.

Robopadna

Quote from: JokersWarPig on May 12, 2017, 02:51:38 PM
I prefer to think David just found an engineer recipe to create the alien using the black goo.

This.

But...  why not?

gantarat

Quote from: Morse on May 12, 2017, 02:50:58 PM
If he isn't the original creator then what are we watching with these movies? They are already a obscure mess for me as it is.

Android: Covenant
Spoiler
Joke,don't serious
[close]

Predaker

David didn't have to wholly imagine the Alien from scratch or learn about/observe it first to create it. He combined existing elements to create something new, which can be done mathematically.

Even if one chooses to dismiss Ridley as an old man rambling gibberish, Covenant clearly depicts David as creating (not recreating with a stolen recipe) the Alien. This is also intrinsic to the themes present. Turning it around into David merely recreating the Alien is akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Robopadna

Quote from: Morse on May 12, 2017, 02:50:58 PM

I mean I agree entirely.  If we are only watching him recreate something that exists...   what is the point and why waste all of our time?

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

The entire point of Covenant story is to show exactly how the alien was created. Like it or loathe it, that's what they have done and that is the intention. So yes, as it stands right now David is the creator of the Alien and everything that came before from the EU is no longer relevant.

People can oppose this by pointing to the murals in Prometheus but Scott has admitted the story has changed since that time. When Prometheus was released I believe the intent was still there that the derelict had been on LV-426 for thousands of years. But that has since been retconned. The facehuggers on the mural and the painting of the xeno holding the egg are not even visible in the film if I am remebering correctly so it is a mute point anyway.

However, what Prometheus still shows is that some form of chest-bursting existed prior to David's experiments as did The Deacon. As it stands David has definitely tinkered with pre-existing things but the xeno as we know it is definitely his creation.

That's how it is until a following film decides to change it again. Suggesting David is simply replicating an eons-old Engineer recipe for the creature is just fanon in the same way people force Peter Weyland and Charles Bishop Weyland into the same timeline.

The point of the film is to explain who/what created the creature. They have now answered that. If it is just replication it renders the entire film and its story pointless.

EJA

EJA

Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 02:52:24 PM

This.

But...  why not?

Because the Alien is so much more fascinating as something that's already been around for a long time.

Quote from: Predaker on May 12, 2017, 02:55:08 PM
David didn't have to wholly imagine the Alien from scratch or learn about/observe it first to create it. He combined existing elements to create something new, which can be done mathematically.

Even if one chooses to dismiss Ridley as an old man rambling gibberish, Covenant clearly depicts David as creating (not recreating with a stolen recipe) the Alien. This is also intrinsic to the themes present. Turning it around into David merely recreating the Alien is akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Ridley's already done that by making out it's a wholly new creation.

Robopadna

Quote from: EJA on May 12, 2017, 02:57:22 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 02:52:24 PM

This.

But...  why not?

Because the Alien is so much more fascinating as something that's already been around for a long time.

I mean that's where we differ I guess.  That explanation is only interesting for the first movie.  You accept it and move on because there is nothing else to offer.  It kills people and survives.  The end.  Anything else is just two hours of watching boring deaths.

This way the movie sort of pivots to themes of creation and there are interesting things to say and think about.

Again, as a single movie, I do like the unknown ancient idea.  If you need to make any additional movies you need some reason to make them unless you watch them to be some run of the mill boring saw fest type franchise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed