Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 286,015 times)

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on May 12, 2024, 01:59:16 AMSo I re-washed it, and I can certainly say there were a some of things that I like but There are many problems with it. Really did have a strong start With beautiful visuals, but it's Dragged down by Dumb characters (Seriously why are the two couples making out in the shower even though their friends have been killed?), Plot holes, And a pretty Predictable twist at the end. But I could give it a six out of 10 if it weren't for David being the creator of the xenomorph. I mean, what a kick in the balls That would be if it was extended I absolutely detest this idea. Like seriously, did Ripley ever rewatch his own film? 5/10
Since Prometheus I had the thought that Ridley doesn't rewatch his own films after the editing

SM

SM

One couple made out in the shower when they were out of danger. Intimacy after a crisis isn't uncommon. It's life affirming.

Why did 'Ripley' need to rewatch his own film?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I maintain that the first third of Covenant is a really solid sci-fi horror.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: SM on May 12, 2024, 03:38:44 AMOne couple made out in the shower when they were out of danger. Intimacy after a crisis isn't uncommon. It's life affirming.

Why did 'Ripley' need to rewatch his own film?
Because both Prometheus and Covenant suffers from editing issues like scenes that they shouldn't be cut

SM

SM

Which ones?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Prometheus feels like a bunch of monkeys took over the editing booth (not specifically in terms of scenes being missing, as aliens13 is saying, but more so in the way that the scenes we actually got are assembled), but Covenant doesn't suffer from any glaring issues on the editing front in my opinion.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 12, 2024, 04:59:20 PMI maintain that the first third of Covenant is a really solid sci-fi horror.

And the second third is really good Gothic horror.

The final third isn't quite as strong as the first two, but still a pretty solid, mean spirited little slasher that overall works for me.

SM

SM

Prometheus spins it's wheels in the second half - but I think the issue is more in the story structure than the edit.  You could point to the Fifield hangar scene and the dead or alive mechanics and mercs as an editing issue - but that doesn't harm the story, and 99% of punters don't notice.  The toing and froing does harm the story I feel and I'm not sure which reinstated scenes could fix that.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on May 12, 2024, 01:59:16 AMSeriously why are the two couples making out in the shower even though their friends have been killed?

I don't understand what's so unbelievable about that

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on May 13, 2024, 12:36:21 AMWhich ones?
They wouldn't address the issues you've highlighted, but the two scenes I've always regretted them cutting are
  • Milburn (sp?) finding the shed skin - because it builds him up as a bit of reckless twat before he suddenly goes full moron and starts petting an obviously pissed-off space snake.
  • And the chat between Janek and Vickers about his time in the military - not only is it a cracking dialogue scene, it likewise clues you in to Janek's mentality when he decides to kamikaze the derelict, which as a decision always felt like it came totally out of left field in the theatrical cut to me. Here's this lackadaisical, gives-no-shits captain and suddenly he's willing to off himself to save the world? His talk with Vickers gives that some much-needed (imo) context.

And while they don't help the pacing, both of those address one my personal biggest problems with the film which is the rubbish character(s)/development.

Neila

Neila

Quote from: Kradan on May 13, 2024, 06:01:58 AM
Quote from: Thatguy2068 on May 12, 2024, 01:59:16 AMSeriously why are the two couples making out in the shower even though their friends have been killed?

I don't understand what's so unbelievable about that

It is indeed a human emotional matter that can occur in such situations.
But it seems somehow cheap in Covenant and is reminiscent of teen slasher films.

I think Prometheus is absolutely great from a visual point of view.
Unfortunately, the plot is too confusing and moves too far away from the rather simple alien story.

The fact that the scientists want to pet the alien snake could actually be excused by the fact that they are stoned.

I also really liked the look of Covenant, but it wasn't quite as strong as in Prometheus.
Other scenes that were often described as stupid by the audience were slipping twice on the same blood stain and Ferris blowing herself up, so to speak.
I see it completely differently. This can definitely happen in highly stressful situations.

It wouldn't have been my wish that David created the xenos, but I don't think it's so bad that I would turn my back on the brand. I think it would be much worse if it were canceled afterwards, which others would certainly welcome.

The scene that bothers me the most in Covenant is how Oram becomes a victim.
This could have been solved much more elegantly by David overpowering him and leaving him tied up to the huggers.

SM

SM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2024, 07:02:18 AM
Quote from: SM on May 13, 2024, 12:36:21 AMWhich ones?
They wouldn't address the issues you've highlighted, but the two scenes I've always regretted them cutting are
  • Milburn (sp?) finding the shed skin - because it builds him up as a bit of reckless twat before he suddenly goes full moron and starts petting an obviously pissed-off space snake.
  • And the chat between Janek and Vickers about his time in the military - not only is it a cracking dialogue scene, it likewise clues you in to Janek's mentality when he decides to kamikaze the derelict, which as a decision always felt like it came totally out of left field in the theatrical cut to me. Here's this lackadaisical, gives-no-shits captain and suddenly he's willing to off himself to save the world? His talk with Vickers gives that some much-needed (imo) context.

And while they don't help the pacing, both of those address one my personal biggest problems with the film which is the rubbish character(s)/development.

I don't think either of these scenes would've markedly improved the film. Finding the other lifeform earlier may have improved Milburn but he's still the guy frightened of dead things but excited by scary alien snakes.

And the Janek and Vickers scene is just too long when the real action belongs with Shaw and David. It humanises Vickers but not long after she's all 'Let's go home' and quite happy to strand Shaw.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Neila on May 13, 2024, 09:07:15 AMThe scene that bothers me the most in Covenant is how Oram becomes a victim.
This could have been solved much more elegantly by David overpowering him and leaving him tied up to the huggers.

I agree, Oram's death is idiotic and Ridley tried to justify it because Kane did it. Which is not the case of course. Kane's situation was different, he had no reason to think there were any active threats. The derelict was there for years with no life-signs besides the eggs.

Oram however, had plenty of reasons not to look into that egg, especially at the coaxing of a clearly untrustworthy android. David explains the nature of the pathogen, what it creates and clearly says the eggs are his successes based on his work with the pathogen. I could go on but I would end up ranting lol  :laugh:

Neila

Neila

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2024, 01:59:33 PM
Quote from: Neila on May 13, 2024, 09:07:15 AMThe scene that bothers me the most in Covenant is how Oram becomes a victim.

I agree, Oram's death is idiotic and Ridley tried to justify it because Kane did it. Which is not the case of course. Kan's situation was different, he had no reason to think there were active threats. The derelict was there for years with no life-signs besides the eggs.

Oram however, had plenty of reasons not to look into that egg, especially at the coaxing of a clearly untrustworthy android. David explains the nature of the pathogen, what it creates and clearly says the eggs are his successes based on his work with the pathogen. I could go but I would end up ranting lol  :laugh:
that's absolutely true.
Although it must also be said that Kane is acting somewhat illogically here.
I would never bow down to such a scary egg. but they wanted the shock effect so it had to be done.
in aliens you don't see how Russ gets the hugger,
but it was better and more believable with the prisoners in the nest.
Even in AvP it was well done because the huggers didn't wait for some idiot to "kiss" the egg but went on the attack independently.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Agreed but Kane did have a daring personality and he had no reason to think there were threats. Still foolish for sure though.

Neila

Neila

Maybe he also had a spirit of discovery and was simply curious.
For some people, curiosity is greater than fear.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed