Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 286,123 times)

Highland

Highland

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jun 10, 2017, 01:00:07 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jun 10, 2017, 12:06:15 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 09, 2017, 07:54:25 PM
It's the old false ending, real ending trick.  You can't have too much time between them, and you have to juggle the Lope being impregnated and the David/ Walter switcheroo.  I'd have to watch it again to properly judge, but it didn't feel 'wrong' the first time.

Personally I didn't like the double dip on the Xeno. It felt like hey I'm back, twice!

I would have preferred Lope been killed in some other way ( more Neomorphs) and impregnated Oram to make it back to the covenant only for the burst to happen there old school style then beef up the spooky corridor stuff.

Or Lope is killed by the acid, they kill the Oram xeno like in the film, and then cut straight to everyone going to sleep.

Yeah, one other thing that he could have done after all the "hey it's me David" shots is to just leave it like that. Walter/David sends the message back to earth then something subtle finishes the movie. Although I admit that doesn't scream "wait for the next one!" as much as the current ending, it does give it a more Blade Runner esk finish.

Engineer

Engineer

Honestly, that whole 'cliff-hanger ending' thing is starting to bug me too. I always felt satisfied with the ending of any and every alien movie before. It was a self contained story, with closure. Prometheus and covenant both ended on cliff hangers... I don't want to wait for the next damn movie to find out what happens next! This isn't lord of the rings or the hobbit! Lol

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Engineer on Jun 10, 2017, 03:06:25 AM
Honestly, that whole 'cliff-hanger ending' thing is starting to bug me too. I always felt satisfied with the ending of any and every alien movie before. It was a self contained story, with closure. Prometheus and covenant both ended on cliff hangers... I don't want to wait for the next damn movie to find out what happens next! This isn't lord of the rings or the hobbit! Lol

Considering he's likely to change his mind at any given moment, I'm not viewing these as a trilogy anyway, more like bite sized story's in the Alien Universe. I mean literally this whole movie exists because of a well timed neutrino burst rather than genuinely following on from Prometheus.

SM

SM

It's not the cliffhanger so much - the stories have proper endings (more or less) - it's the fact that David 'won'.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Jun 10, 2017, 05:46:09 AM
It's not the cliffhanger so much - the stories have proper endings (more or less) - it's the fact that David 'won'.
Nah not for me... I don't mind the fact that David won. I'm bugged by the fact that clearly the story continues. And in Prometheus, David didn't exactly win, nor did Shaw, it just ended with them heading out deeper into space to find the answers they were looking for. You can watch any of the other films and feel satisfied with the ending where it left off, but the prequels stop open ended. What if Ridley never gets a chance to make another film? It'd be like watching half of a movie... you never see the ending, whether the good guys wins or the bad guy wins...

SM

SM

Simply by surviving and the Engineer and trilobite dying mean Shaw and David 'win' Prometheus.  In Covenant they're completely at David's mercy.

Alien³

Alien³

The fact that so many want to see what happens next is a good sign.

Covenant doesn't nessesarily need a sequel. That said, I'd welcome one.

Engineer

Engineer

I wanted closure, and both movies left me hanging. Different strokes...

Protozoid

Protozoid

I agree that the cliffhangers are a bad idea. It will also make people less inclined to see the next movie, because they suspect of won't be a complete story, either. I know Marvel gets away with it, but IMO, that kind of serialized storytelling at that level of cost cannot will leave you with long series that eventually end because their popularity and profitability ended. And the story didn't. So you have long, endless, ultimately pointless series made from many moving parts that do not satisfy either separately or as a whole. It isn't just weak storytelling. It isn't just a ripoff. All series end when the profit stops. You never know where that will be, so you have to always to tell a complete story, with an aim towards building towards a greater whole eventually. The Alien movies always sabotaged themselves by not building on each other. Now the prequels are even worse, because they don't work self-contained or build towards anything larger. Its a serious problem. This constant franchise building combined with shifting plans is self sabotage. They need to either have the integrity to finish a series the way it was planned, or make each movie work as a standalone film entirely. This middle ground is undermining a lot of hard work on the part of the creative team. Fox effed this up and wasted a lot of good faith. The next one needs to have to more integrity. Either finish the Prometheus story as originally planned or tell a standalone story with a satisfying conclusion.

Engineer

Engineer

To be fair, the marvel movies play out a lot like the comics... it's never really over. But even though they still have a larger story to tell, they still have a satisfying ending rather than a cliff hanger every time. And most of the time, those cliff hangers are hinting at the next story to tell, not really part of the main story that was told.

SM

SM

Which Marvel movies are cliffhangers?  They all resolve themselves by the end. 

Covenant is more Empire Strikes Back where everything looks bad for the good guys.  They're frozen for one.  Which is okay if there is a satisfying conclusion to the David trilogy.

Engineer

Engineer

Well, they all kind of have pseudo cliff hangers, depending on how you look at it... for a couple of examples:

Civil war was kind of a cliff hanger... but at the same time it was setting up for the next movie, so it ended precisely where it needed to (although, I was still a little dissatisfied with this one too).

guardians of the galaxy ended with the unresolved issue of peter's heritage being half human half something else powerful. That's not really important for wrapping up that movie's story, and plays into its sequel setup too

They all resolve the stories they're focused on... but there's the grander story everything is leading up to. The different infinity stones are the focus of the respective movies they were featured in, but thanos is behind most of the conflicts; the puppet master ultimately trying to get his hands on the stones. Eventually they're all going to crossover to finish that grander story.

THAT is world building and it works in a very effective way. Each of the movies are connected and telling a grander story. Eventually that grander story will conclude, but you can still watch them solo and feel satisfied with the smaller story being told in that one movie.

What covenant did, was a total setup for the next movie, but unlike the marvel movies it only has one story tier, and the movie didn't wrap up in a satisfying way (to me), so it had to end on a cliff hanger to leave room for that next planned sequel...

Predaker

Predaker

Great ending... wouldn't call it a cliffhanger though. We already know David told Daniels he was going to do to her what he did to Shaw and none of these people are going to survive to tell their story. We can deduce from David's embryos and the 2,000 some odd colonists that they will somehow lead to the eggs in the original derelict. It leaves plenty on the table for a sequel but at the same time it doesn't require one, either.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 11, 2017, 03:12:29 AM
Great ending... wouldn't call it a cliffhanger though. We already know David told Daniels he was going to do to her what he did to Shaw and none of these people are going to survive to tell their story. We can deduce from David's embryos and the 2,000 some odd colonists that they will somehow lead to the eggs in the original derelict. It leaves plenty on the table for a sequel but at the same time it doesn't require one, either.

And none of this works for me... lol

426Buddy

426Buddy

I enjoyed the ending, didnt mind the cliffhanger at all.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed