Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 286,267 times)

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Yeah, that's nice but your degrees aren't really relevant to this discussion. I'm a working writer too, dude; I took my fair share of literature courses in college and I'm quite familiar with any number of 'artistic devices'. Doesn't change the fact that I think the movie's crap, sorry. No amount of diploma displays will change that. An auteur can drop as many references to composers and art history as he likes to give a product a thin patina of culture but when the story is a cliched rehash of old ideas the redundancies shine through.

vehtam

vehtam

No.

Just f**king no.

Right from the begining. No, I have no issue with david creating the Alien. Actually, the story of Covenant is extremely interesting - considering the plot twist in future movies we already know - that Covenant members will become the The Derelict Cargo Bay Eggs.

The idea and passion behind portraying david is outstanding - You can clearly see sir Ridley is grasping at things... what it makes You to be a human, what makes You human, what makes You what You really are. What it is to live your life... and die like human creator or... try to create. It's a beautiful idea. The passion of creation.

But lets face it.. it's f**king ruined. There are some beautiful ideas there... but they're ruined. By lack of additional influence. 79' Alien was just... f**king marvelous. It took the same, repeated ad nauseam ideas and made it different. By then, as a small kid, I've seen lots of horror movies. Alien was different. Not because of just direction - but because of f**king perfect combination of weirdness from standard, yet unusal script by O'Bannon Starbeast, perfect visuals of Ridely Scott, outstanding design by HR Giger, and all the work of whole crew making the fukcing movie. Crew infected by that movie. By combining excellent minds, oh irony, the perfect organism was made.

Space Jockey and his ship was something nothing human mind can comprehend. Ship build of bones and even maybe flesh at some time? Pilot being part of the ship. The f**king out of this world mysteries hidden beneath the ship. It was something outlandish. Something mind blowing. Something... alien.

That's what makes perfect organism.

The new entries are fine. Prometheus, even though shitting as hell on all Gigers work, had excellent, brilliant even, design choices - ironically based on Gigers designs. They were so much captivating, that even dumb as shit script couldn't ruin the f**king amazing experience - of discovering your god's lair and realizing it's just one of many military installations with sole purpose to erase everything. And not by using bullets. By using f**king nightmares.

Alien for me is that's.. alien. Something you can't understand. Something, where you can't find similarities to your earthilng life. You may find some similiraties... but then it's making your familiar memories turning inside out. It was birliantly amplified by Aliens - yeah, it was a sequel turning horror into action movie, but f**k, Queen design, all Her lair... sure it's bugs for grunts, but it's so f**king Giger like you just can't complain. And I won't even start on Alien 3, because it... well, even when butchered by the studio, tripliefied the feelling of being unease. And it actually asks f**king questions without any exposition on the screen whatsover. So there's that.

And here's covenant. Movie, that, I shit You not, had me at the end of the seat for first 30 mins. Yeah, I know those scenes were f**king trope, but as a whole combined experience were great.

And there it goes. Landing, stupid expolring (I love f**king short stories from our eastern border - going like that without helmets because things - almost like expoling f**king Zone for the first time - and those were amaizng stories from 70ties so I lover it and f**k off), and tension is excellent! And neomorphs... -  holy shit, david-neomorph one was f**king amazing.

But all the time after david takes refugees to the temple - sledgehammer to the face. Because You know what? If there ever was a space race engineering life on most habital planets they can find - they will look like f**king rome citizens.

Or Venece. Or very old Constantinopol. No.

You think they were advanced biomechanical beings from outer space? NO. It's just f**king vatican, and they all live in stone like homes, and david's laboratory is in a f**king cave with papiruses on the wooden shelves.

You thought engineers biomechanical base (let's be honest, it's not their homeworld) will be out of this world? Like.. alien? No, it's just the same shit from history channel. Do you feel safe now?

That batshit insane creatures from outerspace from '79? Nah, they are just a copy of Rome? And greece, combined. All the human culture combined!

Do you feel safe now while watching the movie? Do You feel safe and at home? Maybe excellent shots in the middle of the movie copying 1920-1940 asthetics make feel You better, hmm? You know, like Nosferatu, or maybe Cabinet of dr. Caligari? Things You know, things You recognize? You know, everything is human like! Do You feel safe now?

just... f**k. NO.

NO. f**kING NO. The last thing thing I wanted to see in Alien prequel was that it's not alien. It's just the same f**king sight in the same f**king city - city you go to sightseeing in Your own f**king country - or other one, when You go to a trip. Yeah. Excellent.That's what everyone wants. f**king copy of Rome.

Everything is f**king human. There's nothing left of Alien.

f**k THIS MOVIE.

acidreign

acidreign

Alien is dead, close the forums.

vehtam

vehtam

David is alive, play the flute ;)

acidreign

acidreign

I'm only half-joking!  ;D

I think it's evident that for a lot of people here the franchise is irreparably damaged. To them I say: why not move on?

It's not as if there's going to be a movie anytime soon that you're going to find satisfying. Outside of comics and tie-in novels, there's no new content on the horizon to be excited about. Even the much-loved Alien Isolation isn't getting a sequel. Face it: this is effectively a dead franchise. For the sake of your mental health and general happiness, it would probably be best to find another hobby, fandom or what have you. There is only death here now.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: acidreign on May 30, 2017, 08:45:21 PM
I'm only half-joking!  ;D

I think it's evident that for a lot of people here the franchise is irreparably damaged. To them I say: why not move on?

It's not as if there're going to be a movie anytime soon that you're going to find satisfying. Outside of comics and tie-in novels, there's no new content on the horizon for to be excited about. Even the much-loved Alien Isolation isn't getting a sequel. Face it: this is effectively a dead franchise. For the sake of your mental health and general happiness, it would probably be best to find another hobby, fandom or what have you. There is only death here now.

It's been seriously (if not irreparably) damaged since 1992. Covenant, and to a lesser extent Prometheus, are decent enough films, but nothing will come close to those first two films. Most film series' go downhill after 2 or 3 instalments tbh: e.g Alien (2), Terminator (2), Die Hard (3), Indiana Jones (3)...

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: acidreign on May 30, 2017, 08:17:35 PM

You mean turn it into a Predator-only forum.  8)

D88M

D88M

I just saw it, it was good, i liked it, BUT:

-They should have been continued the story from Prometheus. 5, 10 minutes at most of footage showing what happened between the previous movie and this one, they gloss over a lot of important stuff, and they show nothing of Shaw

-The ending, is too seen already, between some other stuff that we also saw in every Alien movie, it needed a twist, something more

It left me a bit cold, and the pacing is a little rushed, i get what Scott was tyring to do, but he also should not made a movie as if "regretting" from Prometheus, even though there was a lot of complaints, is a good movie anyway

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DaddyYautja on May 30, 2017, 11:51:53 PM

Until the next movie is released that is

Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

I can swallow the story of Prometheus and i can even accept(reluctantly) the fact that David created the "Alien".
What really bothers me is Ridley's design choices.He is consciously choosing to abandon the Giger element.The Juggernaut doesn´t looks to be organic anymore,now look like it was made of cheap plastic.The city of the engineers is just ancient Rome.He is making the technologies as modern as possible,ignoring totally what was done in the original(and don´t come to me with the banal excuse that the Nostromo was an old cargo ship and blá,blá,bla...).
The Prometheus and Covenant ships seem to have come out from Halo or Call of Duty Infinite Warfare rather than
A L I E N.Well...i liked a bit of the Covenant garage,they reproduced relatively well that messy mix of mechanisms and equipment painted gold as they did on the Nostromo.
Honestly...his art guys get millions to create boring and unimaginative concepts.I know...it´s hard to top guys like Ron Cobb and Giger but it seems they aren´t even trying.My dream was to see again that opressive and gritty darkness that Outland(1981) reproduced so well.
I understand Scott's point of view, he said many times he doesn´t want to do what he did before,but i think it´s a shot on the foot.If you pay close attention to the making of Prometheus,you´ll realize that even his crew don´t agree with some of his decisions.The guy is full George Lucas now.In the past,many believed he was the right choice to make a Alien prequel...well,i think these people were wrong.
I believe the guys who made Isolation understand A L I E N more than Ridley himself.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Dirty Harry on May 31, 2017, 01:36:11 PM
The Juggernaut doesn´t looks to be organic anymore,now look like it was made of cheap plastic.

Can I ask why you think this?  I don't think anything had appreciably changed in its design.  I still find it one of the single best designs in all of film... a totally alien and imposing craft.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 31, 2017, 09:35:44 AM
Quote from: DaddyYautja on May 30, 2017, 11:51:53 PM

Until the next movie is released that is

It should really become a true AVP board where at the end of each month you tabulate which side had the best showing in movies, comics, merchandise, etc, and the winner gets featured.

juxtapose

juxtapose

cant believe it, i am finally gonna watch alien covenant. .they decided to show it at my cinema. .sitting thru the trailers now. ..so excited i wanne pee myself. .

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 01, 2017, 09:28:53 AM
cant believe it, i am finally gonna watch alien covenant. .they decided to show it at my cinema. .sitting thru the trailers now. ..so excited i wanne pee myself. .

Enjoy, I hope you like it....

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 01, 2017, 09:31:26 AM
Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 01, 2017, 09:28:53 AM

Enjoy, I hope you like it....

What? Peeing himself?  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed