Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 286,236 times)

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 30, 2017, 01:22:15 PM
Quote from: SyntaX on May 30, 2017, 01:06:07 PMYou sure?

I'm pretty sure we haven't had a synthetic create life?  :P
Nor did we have a Neomorph (Alien) burst out of someone's throat or back.

Having an alien emerge from a slightly different spot is hardly anything new and exciting, it's just the the same thing with the vaguest of twists.

And the evil robot thing is hardly new to the franchise, even if he's done something new. We had Engineers creating life in the last film, now suddenly because it's a robot doing it instead it represents a new epoch?

I really don't get these type of comments.
What would you have wanted to see?
A rehash or combination of Alien and Aliens? The same stuff we've been getting for the past 4 movies?
Or would you rather have something that expands the Alien franchise?

To me, your comment comes across as someone who has a hard time accepting the fact the movie turned out to be different and not in line with what you had envisioned.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

This didn't expand anything. It brought a franchise that was branching out into new horizons back to narrow fan service and directly prequelizing the old movies while killing all the mystery - and nobody seems to have gone to see it.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 30, 2017, 01:39:31 PM
This didn't expand anything. It brought a franchise that was branching out into new horizons back to narrow fan service and directly prequelizing the old movies while killing all the mystery - and nobody seems to have gone to see it.

Please enlighten me how Prometheus expanded the lore?
We got more information on the Engineer. We saw that the Space-Jockey was reduced to a mere suit.

We got the early stages of Facehuggers (Trilobite) and early stages of incubation (due to the black goo).

Covenant does pretty much the same by introducting the Neomorph and showing the Xenomorph was a creation instead of having it's own planet (as many believed they would have).

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

It introduced a whole new race with limitless technology, lore and new monsters. It created the mystery of who they are, what they wanted, where they were. The movie ends with two new characters rocketing off to explore. You could've gone anywhere. It gave the franchise a cosmic macro-structure, and left the Alien movies relatively untouched, safe in their bubble as just a part of a larger tapestry.

Instead the alien is back, far less mysterious and ancient than ever, and everything else has been killed off. Except, of course, Michael Fassbender.

Engineer

Engineer

^^ this

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 30, 2017, 01:52:09 PM
It introduced a whole new race with limitless technology, lore and new monsters. It created the mystery of who they are, what they wanted, where they were. The movie ends with two new characters rocketing off to explore. You could've gone anywhere. It gave the franchise a cosmic macro-structure, and left the Alien movies relatively untouched, safe in their bubble as just a part of a larger tapestry.

Instead the alien is back, far less mysterious and ancient than ever, and everything else has been killed off. Except, of course, Michael Fassbender.

You describe the part I hated the most in Prometheus  :laugh:
You have David, a synthetic who set it all in motion. Impregnated Shaw as part of an experiment, murdered her boyfriend etc. David even made some vague comments about what happened and I'm goddamn sure Shaw knew exactly what was going on. But hey, let's just take his head and body and set course to the Engineer Homeworld together. Because David most certainly wouldn't try anything like that again  ::)

Despite that, Prometheus stated that they weren't going home ... they were going to find anwsers and head of to "Paradise" to find the other Engineers. Which, iirc, happened in Alien Covenant. Covenant simply followed the events that were setup in Prometheus.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Yes, David in the last movie was an interesting, morally gray character at best. You never knew what he'd do. David in this movie is a deranged mad scientist/killer robot who wants to f**k anything that moves and destroy humanity. He began by killing off anything interesting from the last movie other than himself. Why? Ask the cut material from the film.

Also, AC did not follow on from that ending. It simply negated it. It said everything had already happened, except that 'everything' was 'David getting rid of it all because we'd rather just bring back the alien'.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 30, 2017, 02:08:05 PM
Yes, David in the last movie was an interesting, morally gray character at best. You never knew what he'd do. David in this movie is a deranged mad scientist/killer robot who wants to f**k anything that moves and destroy humanity. He began by killing off anything interesting from the last movie other than himself. Why? Ask the cut material from the film.

Also, AC did not follow on from that ending. It simply negated it. It said everything had already happened, except that 'everything' was 'David getting rid of it all because we'd rather just bring back the alien'.

True. I can not change your view on AC and I'm not really trying to ;)

Prometheus, for me, showed that David was up there on Ash-levels of crazyness. Showing a synthetic capable of destroying the very crew he was assigned to protect showed how far he was willing to go in order to achieve his goals. After the events in Prometheus, it was clear what David's intentions was. He created the chaos in Prometheus. Hell, he's even responsible for the creation of the Trilobite and Daecon. All those things happened  because of him. So I'm not sure if the "gray character" suits him that well  :laugh:

AC states that the David-8 models were "scary" because they acted way too life-like. It was David's curiousity and hatred for his creators that made him turn against them.

And yes, I do agree that the time-jump from Prometheus to Covenant should've been a bit shorter. I would've loved to see more between David and Shaw and his true motivations. But that would give away the entire Covenant plot.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SyntaX on May 30, 2017, 01:37:25 PMI really don't get these type of comments.
A rehash or combination of Alien and Aliens? The same stuff we've been getting for the past 4 movies?

To me, your comment comes across as someone who has a hard time accepting the fact the movie turned out to be different and not in line with what you had envisioned.

Wut?

I would've liked Covenant to explore some new ideas. I'm saying it didn't really do that.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 30, 2017, 02:40:07 PM
Quote from: SyntaX on May 30, 2017, 01:37:25 PMI really don't get these type of comments.

Wut?

I would've liked Covenant to explore some new ideas. I'm saying it didn't really do that.

Ah. Sorry 'bout that! Misread it then  ;)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I don't get what is so wrong with the David-creating-Aliens idea in light that this is a sequel to Prommmeeeetjes

I mean

that film burned whatever lore and mysticism the Aliens and Space Jockeys had, so how is David creating the Aliens any more offensive or detrimental than that? If people were fine with the Engineers, how is this any worse? The field was already charred before it

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Because now the xenomorphs are the result of some dickhead's daddy issues.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 30, 2017, 03:07:46 PM
I don't get what is so wrong with the David-creating-Aliens idea in light that this is a sequel to Prommmeeeetjes

I mean

that film burned whatever lore and mysticism the Aliens and Space Jockeys had, so how is David creating the Aliens any more offensive or detrimental than that? If people were fine with the Engineers, how is this any worse? The field was already charred before it

Problem is the motivation behind it.
Cliché robot wanting to destroy humanity is not less cliché in 2017 as it would have still be cliché in 1979.
Retroactively, it just feels uninspired and a bad step into the direction to the "unknown" which is kind of Ridley's footprint in Sci Fi.

Then there are deeper problem, like David himself is both the Protagonist/Antagonist of this licence now and yet he's never fully explored.
Others characters just happen to be 1D flat meat bag.
It's missing an opportunity to create a character that is beyond good and evil and that could be the central pillar of a new licence by keeping him in the background having the camera angled towards the humans and it's also missing an opportunity to bring a new horror to the Sci Fi genre by ripping of decades of cliché.

There were potential though, it could have really been great, but the problems accumulate rapidly since prometheus.
I don't even know how you could finish a film in the first place by a "to be continued", it should have raised the alarm in the first place that prometheus was already very problematic in its storytelling and the beginning of the film is very unclear and foggy. It's hard to get really engage with it.

stroggificated

stroggificated

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: SyntaX on May 30, 2017, 01:37:25 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 30, 2017, 01:22:15 PM
Quote from: SyntaX on May 30, 2017, 01:06:07 PMYou sure?

I'm pretty sure we haven't had a synthetic create life?  :P
Nor did we have a Neomorph (Alien) burst out of someone's throat or back.

Having an alien emerge from a slightly different spot is hardly anything new and exciting, it's just the the same thing with the vaguest of twists.

And the evil robot thing is hardly new to the franchise, even if he's done something new. We had Engineers creating life in the last film, now suddenly because it's a robot doing it instead it represents a new epoch?

I really don't get these type of comments.

And this is what gives him a cognitive dissonance.

You're mistaken. I've majored in literature. My MA was about synthesis of arts in literature. I've found a lot of interesting artistic devices in Covenant that were possible for me to notice after achieving this kind of knowledge.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed