Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 286,231 times)

MightyViper

MightyViper

QuoteI'm with you, that starting scene was perfect. Weylands  ambivalence to David, his want of complete control of David. He's designed him to have an opinion, but he didn't want that opinion unless it suited him. And then the cut to the rehash of the original alien score and space. Just great.

Yeah I thought that was going to be terrible. Instead it was not only gorgeous, beautifully acted and weirdly tense, but set up the themes of the film and somehow made huge chunks of Prometheus about 800% more understandable. Pretty cool achievement.

I remember when I first watched Prometheus and thought - I just don't get why David is the way he is or what made him do that. That scene in particular (and other scenes too) made it so clear. I burst out laughing when I saw his face shift as Charlie tells him that they built him because they could and that it was good he couldn't feel disappointed. Great acting from Fassbender, and layering from Scott.

I just kind of wish Scott thought as much about the alien mythos/canon as he does about robots.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

For the first time in franchise history, the robots are now important(and get first-billing) instead of just being incidental. We should've had a lot more Bishop. And Call should've been revealed to be a robot immediately, so we can see these two beautiful, less-than-human but powerful women go on this beautiful journey of self discovery against the backdrop of an action-horror film.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Fire Marshall Bill on May 13, 2017, 05:11:14 PM
Quote from: reecebomb on May 13, 2017, 02:56:17 PM
Quote from: Fire Marshall Bill on May 13, 2017, 02:31:31 PM
Quote from: reecebomb on May 13, 2017, 01:40:06 PM
Quote from: Fire Marshall Bill on May 13, 2017, 01:14:49 PM
Quote from: Dill-On on May 13, 2017, 12:01:55 PM
1] Alien3, Alien
2] Aliens
3] Alien: Resurrection
4] Covenant

-] Prometheus should not exist

At least I feel like they got rid of Engeeners from the genesis of xenomorph.
It's good! I miss my old, good Space Jockeys designed by H.R. Giger.
David and Walter are the best part of this new film.
I don't understand why chesburster has legs? What is the purpose?
I treat this new movie as a spin-off, not a prequel.
Too naive - like some stories from comic books in this universe.
Design of neomorph is poor. Sorry.
However, It's still pretty enjoyable movie and I would like to see it again. Soon.
It's still could be better. Then I would like to buy Blu-Ray.
But I don't want to.

The fact that you have alien resurrection as the 3rd best in the franchise, and have a problem with the creatures in covenant, yet they clearly look better than the white halfbreed baby alien in resurrection not to mention ripely had a jump shot lol...I haven't even seen covenant and I already know it has to be either 3rd or 4th best of the series. But hey to each his own....resurrection is borderline horrible imo

He's far from being the only one who liked A:R more than Covenant. They are both very oddball films, but Resurrection is better in some ways and is a more coherent movie overall. The creatures are awful in both, Covenant has more detailed cgi but unlike A:C. Resurrection had some practical aliens.

I dunno man, guess it all depends on what you like. Resurrection imo was laughable at best. From the dumb concept of cloning Ripley, to the characters it seemed more like a riddick movie or something than part of the alien franchise. Not one second of suspense. Not to mention Ripleys clone acted nothing like ripely its as if they just brought her along cus they feared continuing the franchise without her character. And again, no suspense or scary moments at all. Def have to disagree with you on all parts concerning that movie. IMO it's down there with avp requiem. Should've never been made. Only positive about resurrection was Ron pearlman

Yep, it depends but please don't put the A:R on the same level with AVP:R. The latter was so bad i couldn't even make it to the half point of the movie. Ripleys clone not acting like Ripley was kind of the idea, it would have been far worse the other way.
To me A:R is not really an alien movie but as a spinoff, it's a quilty pleasure of sorts. In it's defence i thought that the pacing and suspense, the cast, the music and the overall visual style was better than in Covenant, it had some strong moments. The aliens were stupid afterthought in both of them and at least the newborn made me feel a little uneasy. And not to mention that Jenuet is a very good director and his handprints are all over the movie.

Bruh, it may be a spinoff to you but it's a direct sequel after alien 3. It's just a horrible movie period. Honestly as far as the score being better in resurrection than covenant, that doesn't bother me in the slightest honestly, I'm there to watch movie not listen to soundtrack. How did the newborn giant white alien making baby noises make you feel uneasy??! Not to mention it just crushes Charles lee ray's(the real chucky) for gore purposes only. Ripley although supposed to act different was really a boring character. She had no business being in the movie, its kinda like a soap opera when a character gets killed off the show cus they leave the show but then a year later get a new contract and then get bogusly written back into the show even though they clearly died last year. If they wanted to make a sequel to alien 3 it shoulda been a completely new story and we people like Prometheus was. I feel like just from what I've seen from trailers and snippets it's head and shoulders above resurrection. Put it this way, if resurrection was released instead of covenant I think we'd be saying rip to the franchise right now

Not to mention that was the beginning of Xenia sounding like dragons.. lol

Each to their own.  Not saying that bringing Ripley back from the dead isn't stupid, but that aside A:R is a more coherent film. Newborns death scene was more imaginative and disturbing than any death in Covenant. And i believe A:R is even gorier film, but off course that doesn't make it better.

Marcus9000

Marcus9000

Quote from: juxtapose on May 12, 2017, 02:40:44 AM
covenant is still holding on strong after 90 reviews. .currently sitting at 77 on rt

To be honest Rotten Tomatoes means nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SentryGun

SentryGun

In a very brief way. I was quite cynical going into Covenant. I have a strong dislike for Prometheus. But to my surprise, I really enjoyed Covenant. Yes there were some plot holes and things I didn't agree with but I still found it hugely watchable and entertaining. Can't wait to see it again.

Dill-On

Dill-On

I agree with reecebomb.
By the way - Newborn is much better than Neomorph.
At least he isn't natural so we have explanation why it isn't that great, but still quite creepy and original beast.
Neomorph looks and behave like hundreds of creatures from different movies. It's cheap.

Time to admit that Alien: Resurection was bad... but only in comparition to previous ALIEN movies!
Welcome to 2017. Next to AVP, AVP:R, Prometheus and Covenant this movie is a f**** masterpiece (I'm joking but you know what I mean).

If it comes to creature design, Xenomorphs from Ressurection lost their biomechanical structure :( but they are dark, strong and I like how they sound. Finally Xenomorphs growl like something dangerous, bigger than a tiger. Bass, low voice. Screaming? It's job for humans. ;)

The Crusher

The Crusher

I think Covenant was good, rating it 4 out of 5. It seemed a bit too fast, to be honest it could have ran for another 2 hours at that pace, which I would have preferred. Loved seeing the xenomorph again, he's the boss. The other aliens are awesome too. This film has now opened up new pathways for the dark horse comics to expand on. Brilliant. I must admit I need to watch this film alot more for it all to sink in.

Dill-On

Dill-On

Quote from: SentryGun on May 13, 2017, 07:57:16 PM
In a very brief way. I was quite cynical going into Covenant. I have a strong dislike for Prometheus. But to my surprise, I really enjoyed Covenant. Yes there were some plot holes and things I didn't agree with but I still found it hugely watchable and entertaining. Can't wait to see it again.

Actually I agree. 100%. I haven't huge expectations, this is why I enjoyed the movie in cinema.
However, it still too weak in comparison to 4 classic movies.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

So, from being a universally hated movie, Alien: Resurrection is Ok now? I can bet that the same will happen with Covenant. Just give it more time and upcoming movies :laugh:

Semaka

Semaka

Here is my review, unfortunately it is in Romanian, but I know there are Romanian fans here and maybe they want to have a look. (If I am breaking any rules, I appologize in advance, and you can delete this post):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nly8AoeHpZA&t=1s

Ja

Ja

Mark Kermode's review

Hemi

Hemi

Wow... Did not expect this "haters gonna hate" outcome on the poll, as reactions on the boards were negative. Nice.

ReluctantNerd

ReluctantNerd

Watched it yesterday and to my surprise I liked it a lot. I think Ridley really went all out on this one and he really gave us f*cking aliens...
Spoiler
While the movie didn't exactly clean up all of Prometheus' mess it managed to make me forget about it by just being fast and furious. David explains that the black goo is volatile and came in many forms, good enough for me, on with the show. This movie is cruel, nihilistic and very self aware. I think the birth of the xenomorph scene, with it's little "I love you daddy" dance was a cool meta joke, Ridley saying: "you want it? Here it is!". The thing stretches triumphantly and even seems to smile. It's grotesque in the best possible way. David breaking the fourth wall with his flute, his campy dialogue, his chamber of horrors, it's all B-movie madness and I'm actually surprised all this craziness ended up on the big screen in a blockbuster like this. And you just get hit over the head, or should I say on the nose right from the start with it's creation theme, starting with David and Weyland's conversation and continuing with David's megalomaniac adolescent speeches. In many ways this movie is probably at least as ridiculous as Prometheus but while I can't stand that movie I didn't mind those aspects here. Someone rated this movie earlier in WTF's, well I'll give it 8 out of 10 WTF's then. It's Ridley cynically doing his job as ordered by the studios and not giving a f**k, just getting on with it and throwing in some of his pet themes here and there. And it works for me, strangely. It's a dark fantasy film, not sci fi, and I'm OK with that.
[close]

Dill-On

Dill-On

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on May 13, 2017, 08:25:45 PM
So, from being a universally hated movie, Alien: Resurrection is Ok now? I can bet that the same will happen with Covenant. Just give it more time and upcoming movies :laugh:

I always liked that movie in the same way like today. ;)
It's just very bad situation that new movies are worse than level of Resurrection.
It should be a border.

Anyway, I laughed that you are trying to scare us with vision of new, even worse movies in the future!

Rafael S.

Rafael S.

I enjoyed the briefness of the Alien. The scenes were you do get to contemplate the creature, are amazing and reveal what is necessary for you to get the idea of the distorted sexualized humanoid you have to deal with. Other movies over exploited the shots of the creature to show just how cool of a bug, or nasty, are the xenomporphs.
Now, regarding its intelligence, I believe it is being determined by the fact it was killed too early on. For all considerations, the fact that Covenant xenomorphs act on mostly pure visceral anger, its even more disturbing than xenomorphs with a PhD in Logics.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed