Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 123,667 times)

Darkness

Darkness

I could have sworn that was a 2 before.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

It definitely was. They've either edited the score or is that a second review?

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: windebieste on May 07, 2017, 09:49:02 AM
In the face of all the short gestation periods we frequently see, has anyone ever stopped to consider Scott's gestation period for the chestburster is the one that's incorrect? 

Personally, I don't think of it as a problem.  Gestations can vary.  Well, why not?

-Windebieste.

True. Besides, gestation periods can vary. In Aliens we got bio-mechanical creature where in Covenant it's juts pure bio therefore it might grows quicker or it's just mistake that doesn't really bother me at all.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: John Doe on May 07, 2017, 09:43:56 AM
I read people hating there is a gay couple on the ship or looking to a open egg....

This movies, including Alien, are not made for the actual world.

And i dont have problem with fast birth, there are diferent species.

Please make your own judment.

I haven't seen any complaints about the movie having a gay couple, though I have not been in every thread or page on here.

As for egg thing, yeah I agree that only someone stupid would do that but then curiosity and stupidity have been the stable of this series regarding Facehugger victims. Prometheus had supremely stupid characters, I was hoping that would not follow into Covenant.

The fact its another species is not really an excuse, yes it is an alien so a little leeway is needed but in order to be sci/fi, there needs to be science and plausibilty involved.

In the face of all the short gestation periods we frequently see, has anyone ever stopped to consider Scott's gestation period for the chestburster is the one that's incorrect? 

Personally, I don't think of it as a problem.  Gestations can vary.  Well, why not?

-Windebieste.
In this movie yes, in Alien, no. Growing in hours is much more plausible than minutes or seconds.

Gestations can indeed very yes, but usually by an hour or so, the actual process should still takes hours. 16 to 26 hours depending on sources.

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 07, 2017, 09:58:16 AM
It definitely was. They've either edited the score or is that a second review?

Oh, yeah, there's two. One for UK and one for US.

For a moment there, I thought they'd gone back and changed it after the fact.

Deklien

Deklien

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 07, 2017, 07:53:23 AM
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/alien-covenant/review/

My review is up. I'll post HuDa's in a second!
@Corporal Hicks. Just read your excellent review and have a question
Spoiler
Is it Birchir's character who gets the facehugger removed from his face?
[close]
Also
Spoiler
Which characters are still alive at this point to remove it
[close]

Clowndog

Clowndog

Quote from: Ingwar on May 07, 2017, 10:00:15 AM

-Windebieste.

True. Besides, gestation periods can vary. In Aliens we got bio-mechanical creature where in Covenant it's juts pure bio therefore it might grows quicker or it's just mistake that doesn't really bother me at all.

Also all the eggs on the derelict were left there for an unknown period of time open to the worlds hostile environment. Maybe they had gone mouldy?

Ingwar

Ingwar

QuoteThe Independent - Clarisse Loughrey - 5/5
Covenant, thrives on its own self-awareness. We know the drill. The infection starts small then it builds and builds until the singular moment all hell breaks loose. Director Ridley Scott finds mischievous delight in carefully tracking the first parasite's journey into the first victim's ear canal, and down to burrow into their bloodstream, all while the audience's hearts start clattering in their chests. They won't stop until the credits roll.

The Guardian - Peter Bradshaw - 3/5
The vu has never been so déja: it's a greatest-hits compilation of the other Alien films' freaky moments. The paradox is that though you are intended to recognise these touches, you won't really be impressed unless you happen to be seeing them for the first time. For all this, the film is very capably made, with forceful, potent performances from Waterston and Fassbender. That franchise title is, however, looking increasingly wrong. It is a bit familiar.

The Telegraph - Robbie Collin 5/5
Scott's Alien: Covenant is a mad scientist film – arguably, one of the maddest. It's grandiose, exhilarating, vertiginously cynical and symphonically perverse, and around a million miles from the crowd-pleasing Alien retread Twentieth Century Fox have presumably been begging the 79-year-old director to make.

The Hollywood Reporter - Todd McCarthy
Scott and the writers have achieved an outstanding balance in Alien: Covenant among numerous different elements: Intelligent speculation and textbook sci-fi presumptions, startlingly inventive action and audience-pleasing old standbys, philosophical considerations and inescapable genre conventions, intense visual splendor and gore at its most grisly. The drama flows gorgeously and, unlike in many other franchises in which entries keep getting longer every time out, this one is served up without an ounce of fat. It provides all the tension and action the mainstream audience could want, along with a good deal more.

The Mirror - Chris Hunneysett - 5/5
Despite displaying Weaver's kick-ass aptitude, Waterston is overawed by a majestic Michael Fassbender. He's mesmeric in a dual role as synthetic androids, David and Walter. Scott's final theatrical flourish sends the franchise spinning out in a new direction. This is screamingly great cinema.

Den of Geek - Ryan Lambie - 3/5
Alien: Covenant's problems only really begin to tell in the second half. While the movie doesn't lose its coherency in the way that Prometheus did, the story does delve into similarly awkward, faintly kitsch storytelling territory. One of the issues is, surprisingly, Michael Fassbender, who plays two roles here. As well as David, the actor also appears as Walter, a newer model of synthetic with fewer personality malfunctions than his predecessor.

Radio Times - Terry Staunton - 3/5
Scott has relinquished the directorial reins of the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, and it might have been wise to do the same here, to bring a more fully formed perspective and a fresh slant to the saga. Unlike the crew of another spacecraft with a sizeable cinema pedigree, he seems frustratingly content to boldly go exactly where he's gone before.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/alien-covenant-reviews-round-up-prometheus-aliens-critics-a7722226.html

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Gigeresque on May 07, 2017, 10:32:09 AM
More positives.

http://entertainment.ie/movie-review/Alien-Covenant/388700.htm     

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/ridley-scott-alien-covenant-not-faint-heart-review-article-1.3142709

Good. So basically in scale of 1 to 5 it's in between 3 to 5 so far. I'm nor worried about its sequel regarding Covenant's budget (111 millions) and its box office.

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Quote from: Ingwar on May 07, 2017, 10:36:15 AM
Quote from: Gigeresque on May 07, 2017, 10:32:09 AM
More positives.

http://entertainment.ie/movie-review/Alien-Covenant/388700.htm     

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/ridley-scott-alien-covenant-not-faint-heart-review-article-1.3142709

Good. So basically in scale of 1 to 5 it's in between 3 to 5 so far. I'm nor worried about its sequel regarding Covenant's budget (111 millions) and its box office.

Yeah, and it opens in USA, and China on 19th. That's a double whammy win for FOX. The sequel is CAKE!

dumbass_colonist

Reviews are about what I expected. It's in the mid 60s on Metacritic, which I find a more accurate guide than Rotten Tomatoes, but having said that, it's scoring roughly the same as Guardians of the Galaxy 2, which I thought was a strong 4/5. So could be better than I'm expecting...

Ingwar

Ingwar

Another positive one.

QuoteIf Ridley Scott really wants to keep this going, he would do well to heed one of the better things about modern franchises, namely their willingness to change genre to keep things fresh. Despite the "same-ness" and the very real issues with character work (I was hoping for the quirk and chemistry of The Martian dumped into an Alien film), Alien: Covenant succeeds as pulp fiction. It is a mostly intelligent (give or take dumb choices like folks not wearing helmets when on an uncharted world), occasionally thoughtful and impressively grandiose R-rated horror romp. The film looks and feels huge, and it absolutely delivers the in-your-face carnage and action beats. It's a satisfying have-your-cake and eat it too Alien prequel that's more of a Prometheus sequel and thus should satisfy both camps. Besides, when I'm 79 years old I can only hope I'm healthy enough to watch a movie like Alien: Covenant let along make one. Alas, it is also not a Venom prequel.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/06/alien-covenant-review-prometheus-sequel-is-a-return-to-formula/#2421a3651ffa

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .i am so relieved that the reviews are mostly positive. .now lets see how it does at the box office. .i am thinking it should be enought to greenlight those sequels. .and about those whom are upset about the inclution of a gay couple. .they can suck my dick!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed