Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 123,485 times)

Ephemer Nine

Ephemer Nine

Review from Roger Ebert's site (by contributor Matt Zoller Seitz):

They gave it a full 4 stars (!!!) and called it the best after the fist two. I was seriously not expecting it.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/alien-covenant-2017

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: Ephemer Nine on May 15, 2017, 01:45:35 PM
Review from Roger Ebert's site:

They gave it a full 4 stars (!!!) and called it the best after the fist two. I was seriously not expecting it.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/alien-covenant-2017

but review it's not from Ebert by himself (i know i know)

Ephemer Nine

Ephemer Nine

I know. I think most of us realize that, but I'll edit the post anyway.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

That's a great review, spot on for me.

Beardomorph

Beardomorph

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 15, 2017, 02:00:12 PM
That's a great review, spot on for me.

Yep, very nice read.

MorphinTime

MorphinTime

Great review. I bet Ebert would've enjoyed it on the same level, since he liked Prometheus back in 2012.

I love it when the reviwer says how Scott is the best sci-fi director since Kubrick. The guy has truly been the one to bring renewed jolt to the genre in these last few years.

And I love that people have mix feelings about Covenant. It just means there's lots of room for debate, and it's not the kind of movie that leaves zero impression on the viewer after the session. Be it negative or positive.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: MorphinTime on May 15, 2017, 04:51:56 PM
Great review. I bet Ebert would've enjoyed it on the same level, since he liked Prometheus back in 2012.

I love it when the reviwer says how Scott is the best sci-fi director since Kubrick. The guy has truly been the one to bring renewed jolt to the genre in these last few years.

And I love that people have mix feelings about Covenant. It just means there's lots of room for debate, and it's not the kind of movie that leaves zero impression on the viewer after the session. Be it negative or positive.

That's the great thing for me, whether you like the film or not at least it prompts discussion and it has an awful lot going on within it.

It makes a nice change from the constant stream of bland super hero movies. The most I can muster when someone asks what I thought of one is it was alright, end of discussion.

We need more movies like this.

Protozoid

Protozoid

I read nearly every review Ebert wrote during my lifetime, some of them repeatedly. I was a weird kid. Ebert loved Prometheus specifically for its ideas and themes. I think he would have docked points for obvious backtracking from the bolder ideas, for killing off a character that he liked is an unfair way, and because he found the repeated beats boring. I imagine 3-3 1/2 stars from Ebert, at most. But I'm happy that Seitz loved Covenant. Good sign.

Snake

Snake

It makes a nice change from the constant stream of bland super hero movies. The most I can muster when someone asks what I thought of one is it was alright, end of discussion.

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I hope Ridley wants to make at least two more Alien-movies.

A king has his reign, then he dies. It is inevitable...

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Snake on May 15, 2017, 08:37:21 PM

Couldn't agree more. I hope Ridley wants to make at least two more Alien-movies.

A king has his reign, then he dies. It is inevitable...
[/quote]

Hoping for one more personally...not because I do not want him to make more, but with this prequel series, I am nervous Fox will not green light the next movie and we are left with an unfinished story that may or may not ever be completed.

900SL

900SL

Fox have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Stolen

Stolen

I'm really fascinated by the evolution of David and the other mysteries, I find the film better and better.
The Prometheus and Covenant diptych is very solid, many questions, many themes, many stunning scenery/sets. Both very different and equivalent.

shawsbaby

shawsbaby

Not sure if these have been posted, but negative from Vanity Fair:
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/05/alien-covenant-review-ridley-scott

New York Magazine had a mildly mixed, but mostly positive review but it's not online yet. I read it just now in the print edition.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed