Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 124,318 times)

T Dog

T Dog

2/5
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/no-surly-crew-alien-covenant-is-not-a-proper-alien-film-1.3075574?mode=amp

Seems like the author didnt like when it became Prometheusy about 40 minutes in and said the end sequence was poor.

Beardomorph

Beardomorph

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 09, 2017, 09:00:20 PM
While I get your point about the length of horror movies, I don't really regard Prometheus as a horror film.

You got me there, I must say ;) . You're right. I do wish we had ended up with a version of the final longer scene/fight between Shaw and the Engineer. Even though the unfinished scene was a bit awkward I do think that it made that part of the movie better to allow Shaw a minute to breathe a little ( and drink ) and for the Engineer to ponder a few seconds about human technology. So I get what you're saying as well. But that script though :D

Now, about Covenant. Considering that Covenant is a straight-up horror movie, and apparently "relentless", two hours is a good running time. I might change my mind after seeing the movie, but the fact is that a vast majority of the best horror movies out there are also fairly short ( around 90 minutes ) and it's the horror that is supposed to make it feel longer.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 09, 2017, 08:57:17 PM
Quote from: echobbase79 on May 09, 2017, 08:27:38 PM
A very positive review from Arrow In the Head! 9/10

Shame it comes from that source. Difficult to take seriously someone who has that much trouble writing for human folk. Given that whoever wrote this has more interest in watching himself write than doing his job for readers, I'm not sure he's capable of judging a movie from the point of view of the audience. This is coming from a writer, by the way. But sentences such as
QuoteSince the profundity of the screenplay coldly cuts to the core of humanity's inherent fallibility [...]
should not be allowed. Alliterations and work on rhythm can do wonders, but at the core your sentence needs to make sense. The people who gave lower scores to Covenant seem to agree about the movie being beautiful but messy, so I'm not surprised that someone who doesn't care much about clarity behind the art would give the movie a near perfect score.

Sorry about the rant.

All the other positive reviews I've read ( without spoiling myself too much, thankfully ) seem to say that if you're looking for a good and relentless horror movie, Covenant has you covered. So I must admit I can't wait til Thursday... Very excited :D

Sadly, John Fallon doesn't write the reviews for the main site anymore. I wish he still did because he can write very well. Sounds like the writer was trying to make a very poignant sentence and it failed. Should've kept it simple.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 09, 2017, 09:08:06 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 09, 2017, 09:00:20 PM
While I get your point about the length of horror movies, I don't really regard Prometheus as a horror film.

You got me there, I must say ;) . You're right. I do wish we had ended up with a version of the final longer scene/fight between Shaw and the Engineer. Even though the unfinished scene was a bit awkward I do think that it made that part of the movie better to allow Shaw a minute to breathe a little ( and drink ) and for the Engineer to ponder a few seconds about human technology. So I get what you're saying as well. But that script though :D

Now, about Covenant. Considering that Covenant is a straight-up horror movie, and apparently "relentless", two hours is a good running time. I might change my mind after seeing the movie, but the fact is that a vast majority of the best horror movies out there are also fairly short ( around 90 minutes ) and it's the horror that is supposed to make it feel longer.

Yep that's very true so the problem people have must be due to the pacing of the film as a whole I suppose.

I'm still hoping I don't agree with them. it's rare to get a horror film on this scale so I desperately want it to succeed.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Lol Wayne Haag was concept Artist on Covenant, right?

"... but ... a few buts ..."

haha wtf this guy must have of balls of steel to throw out this level of criticism even before the official release, omg RESPECT, he doesnt seem to be afraid this could backfire at him or he doesnt care, whatever it is RESPECTO MUCHO!

And for AC it concerns me even more.

Im actually a bit shocked, can anyone present similar criticism from a person involved pre-release or even post on this level of production?

Beardomorph

Beardomorph

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 09, 2017, 09:17:34 PMSounds like the writer was trying to make a very poignant sentence and it failed. Should've kept it simple.

It's a matter of taste I suppose. Not many things get under my skin but wanky writing definitely does :D
And I would not usually comment on that kind of writing - I can accept that some people might enjoy it - but for a movie review it's just wildly inappropriate because the focus should be on the movie and your opinion of it, not on how much you enjoy your thesaurus.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 09, 2017, 09:25:14 PM
Quote from: echobbase79 on May 09, 2017, 09:17:34 PMSounds like the writer was trying to make a very poignant sentence and it failed. Should've kept it simple.

It's a matter of taste I suppose. Not many things get under my skin but wanky writing definitely does :D
And I would not usually comment on that kind of writing - I can accept that some people might enjoy it - but for a movie review it's just wildly inappropriate because the focus should be on the movie and your opinion of it, not on how much you enjoy your thesaurus.

:D Very true.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: kwisatz on May 09, 2017, 09:23:34 PM

haha wtf this guy must have of balls of steel to throw out this level of criticism even before the official release, omg RESPECT, he doesnt seem to be afraid this could backfire at him or he doesnt care, whatever it is RESPECTO MUCHO!

Im actually a bit shocked, can anyone present similar criticism from a person involved pre-release or even post on this level of production?

No it's extremely unprofessional.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 09, 2017, 09:39:08 PM

Yes very

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 09, 2017, 09:42:35 PM

Yes very

How's it unprofessional? He was just sharing his opinion. Overall it sounded like he enjoyed it.

He's probably bummed about
Spoiler
David being the creator of the Alien.
[close]

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Haha...yeah he was but that's wasn't really serious criticism though. It's not like he went out and totally dissed the movie.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 09, 2017, 09:46:08 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 09, 2017, 09:42:35 PM

Yes very

How's it unprofessional? He was just sharing his opinion. Overall it sounded like he enjoyed it.

He's someone who worked on the film, with Ridley, and he's talking negatively about the film before its released. It's a big no no.

Beardomorph

Beardomorph

Rotten tomatoes just came up with their "consensus".

QuoteAlien: Covenant delivers another satisfying round of close-quarters deep-space terror, even if it doesn't take the saga in any new directions.

To be honest, I can live with that  ;D

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 09, 2017, 09:51:54 PM
https://cdn.psychologytoday.com/sites/default/files/styles/article-inline-half/public/blogs/68127/2013/12/139735-140265.jpg?itok=ZbE9dWPa

No one's making mountains. We haven't said he needs to fired or shit on, he's not important enough for that. Just pointing out its not the done thing.

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 09, 2017, 09:54:18 PM
Rotten tomatoes just came up with their "consensus".

QuoteAlien: Covenant delivers another satisfying round of close-quarters deep-space terror, even if it doesn't take the saga in any new directions.

To be honest, I can live with that  ;D

Thats been up since yesterday, posted a few pages back.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed