Aint No Jockey, just a Suit...

Started by Stanley, Apr 23, 2017, 07:24:36 PM

Author
Aint No Jockey, just a Suit... (Read 6,064 times)

Evanus

Evanus

Yeah, a trilogy, starting with Covenant. So two more movies after this.

Unless he changes his mind. Again.

Stanley

Stanley

Quote from: Jango1201 on Apr 24, 2017, 08:12:45 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on Apr 24, 2017, 07:40:05 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 24, 2017, 04:28:59 AM
God, it probably will end up being David in the chair. Fossilized a few years before Alien! Destroyed by his creation! It's like some sort of weird O. Henry yarn.

This is my thought. And the eggs will be the colonists from the Covenant, in Cryo, eggmorphed.

I theorized this in another post a few weeks ago and continue to believe this. I also believe the original space jockey is the Engineer's version of an autonomous pilot. An Engineer grown out of the pilots chair in a ship grown around it to safely transport dangerous cargo. Would also explain why the derelict looked different and the ship itself organic.

Or like the Engineer who sacrificed himself at the water fall.   Maybe destroying life they'd created on a distant planet is a similar honor.  Especially if the project went rogue and became a threat.

irn

irn

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Apr 23, 2017, 08:54:49 PM
Im in the camp that the jockey is a different being that the engineers worship/emmulate

I'm in the camp that the engineers are humans who found the jockeys ancient ship first.

Somehow.

Stanley

Stanley

Many seem to have Space Jockey Denial afflictions?

It's just a suit per the Prometheus people.

Then again something really big could put on a suit too?

Jarac

Jarac

LAME! The original jockey looked like a completely different being, not just a big bald guy in a suit! It even looked like it had a mouth and tounge like an elephant. What a bad retcon.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Stanley

Stanley

It's less than the tech ret-con tho.

I mean in future ships from a more advanced time than the Covenant (like the Nostromo)...they have a "computer room" with a chair that electrically brings u closer to the 10 inch monochrome monitor complete with curved glass screen.  And that Motion Tracker...

Or maybe in the future tech is rejected and we wind up living like the Engineers David kills off. 

Evanus

Evanus

The original space jockey is an engineer in a spacesuit, confirmed by Ridley Scott himself.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/05/04/ridley-scott-alien-franchise-future/

cliffhanger

cliffhanger

what an *ss lol. The Jockey was absolutely humongeously gigantic. that was actually one of the most awesome aspects of it.
im not complaining about the engineers as a species as such per se, i'm just not enjoying at all the size difference and the complete ignoring of that difference by fox/ridley

Necronomicon II

Well since they intend to come in from the "rear end" I suspect they'll be able to come up with something to explain the size variation, this particular engineer can still be a special one, keep in mind however that the scaling of it is even bigger when there were children used.

Marcus9000

Marcus9000

Quote from: Evanus on May 04, 2017, 03:39:09 PM
The original space jockey is an engineer in a spacesuit, confirmed by Ridley Scott himself.

So who do we think the Space Jockey is then? Ridley says "you know who it is".

David?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Predaker

Predaker

Unless there was something pertinent to that in the full interview which got left out of the article, this is what he said:

QuoteThe storyline laid out by Prometheus and Alien: Covenant ... will eventually lead us all back to the events shown in 1979's Alien. "You'll know full well by that point who the affectionately termed 'space jockey' is," Scott says.
QuoteScott says that decades later he was looking at the pilot's skeleton and thought, "This could be a space suit."

So he didn't say the specific space jockey in Alien is an engineer (which has yet to be revealed,) but that he did get the idea of making it a space suit while looking at the pilot's skeleton. One could also infer that the space jockey isn't an engineer but someone else wearing one of their suits, based on that article.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Too small for a god, too big for a bald man in a rubber suit.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

In the actual video, he literally says it's an Engineer in a suit.

Personally, based on what he says in the rest of the clip, I suspect Riddles is misspeaking again and that we will eventually learn it's actually David or someone else in the suit.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Predaker on May 04, 2017, 05:28:33 PM

Unless there was something pertinent to that in the full interview which got left out of the article, this is what he said:

QuoteThe storyline laid out by Prometheus and Alien: Covenant ... will eventually lead us all back to the events shown in 1979's Alien. "You'll know full well by that point who the affectionately termed 'space jockey' is," Scott says.
QuoteScott says that decades later he was looking at the pilot's skeleton and thought, "This could be a space suit."

So he didn't say the specific space jockey in Alien is an engineer (which has yet to be revealed,) but that he did get the idea of making it a space suit while looking at the pilot's skeleton. One could also infer that the space jockey isn't an engineer but someone else wearing one of their suits, based on that article.

He explained Prometheus as answering the question as to what the suit/person was.  That was one of his creative driving forces in making the movie.  He could certainly retcon whatever he wants to, but until he says otherwise, it's the engineers we saw in Prometheus.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 04, 2017, 06:07:34 PM
In the actual video, he literally says it's an Engineer in a suit.

Personally, based on what he says in the rest of the clip, I suspect Riddles is misspeaking again and that we will eventually learn it's actually David or someone else in the suit.

Ah, thanks. I agree as well. After Prometheus I think it was clear that the space jockey had been retconned into an engineer wearing a space suit. Now with Covenant and him talking about us knowing full well who the 'space jockey' is after the prequels are all said and done, I'm not so sure about the original jockey being an actual engineer.

Quote from: Robopadna on May 04, 2017, 06:10:51 PM
Quote from: Predaker on May 04, 2017, 05:28:33 PM

He explained Prometheus as answering the question as to what the suit/person was.  That was one of his creative driving forces in making the movie.  He could certainly retcon whatever he wants to, but until he says otherwise, it's the engineers we saw in Prometheus.

I never believed or bought into any of the theories that the engineers were anything other than the space jockey, as that was clearly Ridley's intention with Prometheus. Whatever retcons happen later in this new series, I'm confident the jockey suit will still be engineer tech.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed