Arnold talks about The Predator

Started by The Wolverine Predator, Apr 05, 2017, 09:50:01 PM

Author
Arnold talks about The Predator (Read 75,455 times)

Xeno_from_Chino

Xeno_from_Chino

I don't mean to be a negative poster here, but I think people are looking at this new Predator movie with blinders on. Just because Shane Black is directing doesn't guarantee it'll be a great movie. Same goes with Ridley Scott for the Alien movies. And the cast rso far really looks like a bunch of B list actors thrown together in the same vein as Predators. And I know some people will debate them being B listers. I'm even a fan of Thomas Jane, but he's not exactly an A lister, especially these days. And A listers also don't guarantee a movie's success. But it feels like this new Predator movie is going to have the same fate as Predators so far with a mediocre cast and not much of a draw for new audience members to want to see this movie. Lets be honest, part of the appeal of the original Predator was to see Ahnuld and maybe Carl Weathers and Jesse Venture and a bunch of muscle bound military guys with guns fighting a stalking alien. While I like Danny Glover, he wasn't exactly a draw to see Predator 2. And unless you're a Predator fan in general, most people already forgot about Predators from a few years back.

Some people argue Arnold is washed up at this stage of his career, and that may be true. But I think he passed on this opportunity because he can tell it's not going to have legs and do well. I hope I'm wrong, but there hasn't been much news about this movie that is making me look forward to it as a Predator fan.
I'm even a little leary about Alien Covenant and I'm even a bigger Alien franchise fan. Just saying, I think a lot of people are being too optimistic about both movies coming out. But to each his or her own.Ultimately, I'm just happy they're still making movies for both franchises.

BishopShouldGo

Cool. I'll sit back, relax and trust in Shane and Ridley.

Xeno_from_Chino

Xeno_from_Chino

"BishopShouldGo Posted 29 minutes ago
Cool. I'll sit back, relax and trust in Shane and Ridley."

That's kind of my point. Just because it's them directing, doesn't automatically guarantee it'll be a quality movie or good story. Creativity and perfection tend to decrease with age. I'm not even convinced James Cameron could save the Terminator franchise or would do a good job directing a new one if he ever did. Or maybe they all still got it and some board members are imposing their creative control on the directors. I'm just saying, I'm not too optimistic about Covenant and The Predator being great movies. I can see them being decent at best based on what I've seen. I hope I'm wrong though.

D88M

D88M

well, if we needed anymore proof that this movie is gonna suck, i still have zero interest with Shane at the helm

overthere

Quote from: D88M on Apr 06, 2017, 08:52:11 PM
well, if we needed anymore proof that this movie is gonna suck, i still have zero interest with Shane at the helm

You think Arnold declined the offer because of the quality of the script? If so, how do you explain Terminator 3 and Genisys? And a bunch of other shitty movies he was in?

Stealth_Hunter

Quote from: Xeno_from_Chino on Apr 06, 2017, 08:37:46 PM
Just because it's them directing, doesn't automatically guarantee it'll be a quality movie or good story.
No movie is ever guaranteed to be good. I think everyone knows that. I acknowledge it and I'm still optimistic.

QuoteCreativity and perfection tend to decrease with age.
You're saying more experience hinders creativity and "perfection"?

QuoteI'm not even convinced James Cameron could save the Terminator franchise or would do a good job directing a new one if he ever did. Or maybe they all still got it and some board members are imposing their creative control on the directors.
Agreed, I actually never thought he could save it since it's been a disaster since 2003. No one can save that mess of a franchise.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: overthere on Apr 06, 2017, 09:47:12 PM

You think Arnold declined the offer because of the quality of the script? If so, how do you explain Terminator 3 and Genisys? And a bunch of other shitty movies he was in?

The huge paychecks.

Master

Master

I can't help the feeling this leaked synopsis sounds like disaster.  War movie out of Predator? Really?

DaddyYautja

that means that there is hope for a Predators 2 appearance!

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Xeno_from_Chino on Apr 06, 2017, 07:14:17 PM
Lets be honest, part of the appeal of the original Predator was to see Ahnuld and maybe Carl Weathers and Jesse Venture and a bunch of muscle bound military guys with guns fighting a stalking alien.

Sure, it's a fantastic movie with a great cast. It's also not 1987 anymore. That being said, there are plenty of musclebound military guys in this movie and the cast is IMO pretty solid - Trevante Rhodes just starred in last year's Best Picture, Boyd Holbrook is on the come-up, Keegan-Michael Key is hilarious, I quite like Olivia Munn's other work and even Jacob Tremblay has had a brush with the Oscars.

It may not be just a hulking squad of dudes, but life moves on.

Bob Saget

Then don't watch it. You haven't read the script. The movie isn't finished filming. But yea.....lets just go as negative as possible and deem it garbage before you see it. Arnold was just on the celebrity apprentence for gods sake so it's not like his standards are high. He clearly just wanted a bigger role.....and who knows maybe he's just lying and is actually in it.

The Wolverine Predator

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 07, 2017, 12:59:18 AM
Lets be honest, part of the appeal of the original Predator was to see Ahnuld and maybe Carl Weathers and Jesse Venture and a bunch of muscle bound military guys with guns fighting a stalking alien.

Sure, it's a fantastic movie with a great cast. It's also not 1987 anymore. That being said, there are plenty of musclebound military guys in this movie and the cast is IMO pretty solid - Trevante Rhodes just starred in last year's Best Picture, Boyd Holbrook is on the come-up, Keegan-Michael Key is hilarious, I quite like Olivia Munn's other work and even Jacob Tremblay has had a brush with the Oscars.

I'm quite happy with the cast myself and I'm over the fact that everybody wants some musclebound second coming of Arnold, we've already had that
I'm looking for this predator movie to have some old-school mixed with new school with something unexpected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 07, 2017, 12:59:18 AM

Quite honestly I think I'll prefer this movie to the original. Spielberg's early** sensibilities are my favorite and fusing them with Predator is colossally appealing to me.

ace3g

ace3g

Could be Black just doing some PR saving but I think Arnold was just speaking of the screen time.

https://twitter.com/BonafideBlack/status/849956540568150017

The Wolverine Predator

Quote from: ace3g on Apr 07, 2017, 01:16:47 AM
Could be Black just doing some PR saving but I think Arnold was just speaking of the screen time.

https://twitter.com/BonafideBlack/status/849956540568150017
At least he's responded to me a few times on Twitter, I agree with the screen time idea now after I re-read Arnold's comments I posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed