Arnold talks about The Predator

Started by The Wolverine Predator, Apr 05, 2017, 09:50:01 PM

Author
Arnold talks about The Predator (Read 74,694 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
Unlike oh, let's say you, they've yet to make up their mind.
You can leave the personal jibes at the door. I haven't written off or made up my mind about anything yet.

QuoteOutside audiences will go and I personally expect they'll like it. I actually think many fans will too.
Here's hoping.

QuoteBut if you want to critique it sight unseen, feel free. There's always plenty of angry folks on the Internet doing that with plenty of geek movies everyday. Everything is always destined to be the worst ever until it isn't. It's frankly gotten pretty rote.
If only that were what I've been saying.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 06, 2017, 01:09:17 PM
The problem is this: I love monsters on a spaceship movies... and i'm not interested in this movie! Why? Because it's everything i love... and everything i've seen a gazillion times in other movies. What's the point? There is basically nothing new, nothing that really motivates me to go to the movies for this.
Right, and people had to wait until word of mouth to realise that for the star studded cast and intriguing trailers, it's not what they want. That's actually my point -- the word of mouth killed it very, very quickly.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2017, 01:15:29 PM
I haven't written off or made up my mind about anything yet.

I can tell.

QuoteIf only that were what I've been saying.

Whatever else you're attempting to say, you might wanna rethink it. Not sticking the landing beyond 'I do not like this movie and it's gonna fail!' Again, I can find 30 people to do that in an hour.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Apr 06, 2017, 01:12:32 PM
I really wanted this to be good... If even Dutch didn't want in... Then there's something wrong there. >:(

He's an actor, Pvt Himmel. They're usually like "this is good, but can there be more of me?" *lol* To be fair to Arnie, he says (paraphrasing) that he wants a bigger role.

I think that many people associate "Predator" with "Arnold" - hence he may have thought "these guys need me and I have one line at the end to open up to possible new movies that might get made. f**k you, assholes. I'll be back. After I get to the chopper."

It's a real shame, whether we believe that this was a door opener to bigger things or not, it would have been sweet to have the "Arnie as Advisor" cameo even as one off. Even for the non-rabid fans out there. Or put another way, I can't think that I've ever heard anyone say "I hate Schwartzenegger!" I mean - everyone loves a bit of Arnie, right? His presence would only have helped the movie, I reckon.

SpeedyMaxx

He's got a few lines, but it's a big deal. If Arnold wanted to co-star that's his prerogative, as you say he's an actor first and it's about their prominence. I personally think it's the least he could do given the role that opens up for Dutch in later films, but whatever. He may yet come around, I would not be shocked.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 01:19:14 PM
Whatever else you're attempting to say, you might wanna rethink it. Not sticking the landing beyond 'I do not like this movie and it's gonna fail!' Again, I can find 30 people to do that in an hour.
I haven't seen the movie, I can't comment. Nor have I.

I haven't even said "it will bomb", just, good gosh, floated the possibility that films are a volatile and often unpredictable market and that creative decisions can go either way. How unreasonable of me.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2017, 01:28:10 PM
I haven't even said "it will bomb", just, good gosh, floated the possibility that films are a volatile and often unpredictable market and that creative decisions can go either way. How unreasonable of me.

Jaded stops being a pose and starts being a cliche when you wear it a lot.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2017, 01:15:29 PM

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 06, 2017, 01:09:17 PM
The problem is this: I love monsters on a spaceship movies... and i'm not interested in this movie! Why? Because it's everything i love... and everything i've seen a gazillion times in other movies. What's the point? There is basically nothing new, nothing that really motivates me to go to the movies for this.
Right, and people had to wait until word of mouth to realise that for the star studded cast and intriguing trailers, it's not what they want. That's actually my point -- the word of mouth killed it very, very quickly.
That is not the case with me though, i never read reviews or heard someone talking about the movie, i saw the trailer - and yawned.

Also, the movie didn't do very good on opening weekend, so it's not like box-office suddenly broke in after word of mouth reached the street, people weren't interested in this from the get go, and that is attributable to the trailers... which showed you.. well... nothing new, creative or inventive.

The Predator, hopefully, will give people something they havent seen before in this kind of movie or franchise... and that's the whole point, make it fresh and interesting. Give me something to get my ass up and spend 50 bucks on a saturday evening to go check this out and not just something i see when i pop in the other movies.

Hell, i want to see the kid fly a Predator spaceship and run around with Predator tech, causing havoc on Halloween, this could turn out to be awesome... or awful... but i pay for a ticket to go see it, good or bad, and that's the point, they at least have my attention... something Life couldn't achieve.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 01:31:21 PM
Is there a reason you've abandoned the point entirely to make personal attacks at me ???

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 06, 2017, 01:36:20 PM
That is not the case with me though, i never read reviews or heard someone talking about the movie, i saw the trailer - and yawned.
And I'm sure there are lots like you, but I know many people who were interested who have been put off by what people are saying. It didn't help that critic reviews also came out close opening day.

And even if Life is a bad example, there are so, so many films with strong opening weekends and dramatic fall-offs to make the point :P

The film has to be good. If the elements people are unsure about aren't handled well, they'll sink the ship. If they are, it obviously won't be an issue. Terminator 2 did gangbusters, but if Cameron hadn't nailed John's relationship with Arnie that film would've sunk like a stone.

ThePredatorUK

That was me on Twitter, Shane replied to  ;D Personally I became a fan of the movies because of Predator/Kevin Peter Hall himself, not Arnold... He would of been a nice bonus to add but ahh well, rather see these actors in the suits pull off the best Predator we've seen tbh

SpeedyMaxx

I thought Life was a fun weekend movie but mostly unremarkable. I thought the direction, performers and creature design saved it from total mediocrity, but it is quite forgettable. I also don't think it's in any way comparable to the brand of either Predator or to a considerably lesser extent Shane Black. Life was a new IP. Those are always hard sells.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2017, 01:38:51 PMIs there a reason you've abandoned the point entirely to make personal attacks at me ???

Oh, I made my point long ago; I just don't think you're entirely as open-minded as you claim. Which is fine, jaded happens all the time with fans. Perfectly common and understandable. We'll see how the release goes.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 01:43:33 PM
Oh, I made my point long ago; I just don't think you're entirely as open-minded as you claim.
I've yet to write off the movie anywhere, despite your insistence.

Seriously, you can drop the smug, arrogant act. It's dime a dozen on the Internet and doesn't really carry any weight. It just makes you look like a dick with nothing better to do than try to act better than strangers on the Internet. Grow up.

SpeedyMaxx

I've got a great idea: We can both drop it together. Enjoy The Predator!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Let's take a step back here, gentleman. I think there's been some confusion over who is trying to say what. Let's take a moment and re-read what is being said. There's no need to start attacking each other.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2017, 01:38:51 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 01:31:21 PM
Is there a reason you've abandoned the point entirely to make personal attacks at me ???

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 06, 2017, 01:36:20 PM
The film has to be good. If the elements people are unsure about aren't handled well, they'll sink the ship. If they are, it obviously won't be an issue. Terminator 2 did gangbusters, but if Cameron hadn't nailed John's relationship with Arnie that film would've sunk like a stone.
I get your point, but... bad movies make lots of money too, it's not always about quality. People tell you the new Transformer movie is still as shit as the others, and they still make a billion.

I think T2 would have still made some amazing buck, because it was a totally different movie than the first and broke new ground. Not everyone liked the good guy Terminator story... but there was more to it, amazing never seen before special effects, great action, a budget, Stan Winston, a great director and a huge movie star at the peak of his prime.

The point is: Not every movie is perfect, and not every single idea is going to be loved by every single movie goer out there, it's simply impossible to attract to everybody... but if you hit 9 times and miss 1 you're still having a hit, and i think people expect, and more importantly, accept and welcome the fact they take Predator into a little different direction than the rest of the movies.

Rodriguez bragged about how his movie is going to be the Aliens of the Predator franchise, and everybody cheered... only that it never did anything like Aliens, namely expanding the franchise and break new gound.

They really seem to make this now though.

Master

Master

I still don't see a point . What 'Kid flies predator ship' adds to the movie about intergalactic alien headhunter?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed