Would you Prefer David 8 To Be A Hero Or Villain?

Started by Xenomorphine, Mar 03, 2017, 07:35:23 PM

Author
Would you Prefer David 8 To Be A Hero Or Villain? (Read 3,791 times)

Xenomorphine

It occurs to me that we're all being hyped up to assume David 8 is going to be a villain who orchestrates everything, but what if that's all a big red herring? We can see him observing a hatching egg, but what if he has a sort of 'greater good' mentality or, for some reason, doesn't think it would be wise to intervene? What if we're being set up for something less predictable?

What if, say, Shaw is responsible because she's now got some kind of nihilistic mentality (possibly by linking into Engineer technology and allowing it to influence her, 'Mass Effect' Reaper-style) and David 8's experimentation has actually just been one big effort to try and stop her? Or what if Shaw's actually reprogrammed David 8 and he's doing everything because she's controlling him?

Would you want David 8 to fill the role of antagonist or would you prefer it to be revealed that he's actually the good guy and someone/something else is truly to blame for the horror?

banecat

banecat

i think there's clearly a lot to him, and it won't be cut and dry
i foresee him being the baddie though, for sure, and shaw has been dead for a while

D. Compton Ambrose

Daniels should be the hero. David or Walter can be a red-herring or unintentional liberators of the Alien we see in the trailer.

banecat

banecat

what i am concerned about is this apparent connection between david and the protomorph or whatever it is
i really hope it doesn't end up that david has a connection with it and controls it

Enoch

Fassbender said he again watched Lawrence of Arabia (several times) to prepare and remember how to play David.
Anyone more knowledgeable in film knows that Lawrence is indeed a great anti-hero... I expect similar thing for David.
He is both the God and Satan... complete circle of yin and yang... David is ultimately the Prometheus.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 03, 2017, 07:35:23 PM
It occurs to me that we're all being hyped up to assume David 8 is going to be a villain who orchestrates everything, but what if that's all a big red herring? We can see him observing a hatching egg, but what if he has a sort of 'greater good' mentality or, for some reason, doesn't think it would be wise to intervene? What if we're being set up for something less predictable?

What if, say, Shaw is responsible because she's now got some kind of nihilistic mentality (possibly by linking into Engineer technology and allowing it to influence her, 'Mass Effect' Reaper-style) and David 8's experimentation has actually just been one big effort to try and stop her? Or what if Shaw's actually reprogrammed David 8 and he's doing everything because she's controlling him?

Would you want David 8 to fill the role of antagonist or would you prefer it to be revealed that he's actually the good guy and someone/something else is truly to blame for the horror?

Seems hard to say for sure, but I think the idea of Shaw being the villain is a little unlikely unless the goo or some other malevolent forcer, like Ashes hand in Evil Dead, got into her and went bad. David is simply not a good character. Nothing in Prometheus suggested that he was, as far as I'm concerned.

But they haven't shown us anything of David or Shaw. Wise move. now we can wonder shit like this until we see the film. A fun exercise, regardless of what is the truth. :)

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 03, 2017, 07:35:23 PM

That would be really cool... Just like Lawrence of Arabia... a hero, then everybody thought he is a villain and lunatic, a Lucifer himslef, and at the end everything he tried to do simply failed...

Lawrence is also a Prometheus

Holding a flame in the right hand.

NickisSmart

Now that you put it like that, I think that makes a great deal of sense, Enoch. I still don't think Shaw has anything to do with his evolution, apart from perhaps putting his head back on. But you know what I think? I don't think that she did. I think, that David, like a beheaded prophet, was witnessed by the alien race, and convinced them through guile and sheer awe to help reunite his head with his body.

Enoch

I m not saying that he is a good, heroic character... but David is not a complete villain either.
There is more layers to his inner nature. He is more like Miltons Satan and titan Prometheus from ancient myths.
Both of them considered themselves as good guys, and thought that they were doing the right thing... They gave knowledge to humans, they liberated the human spirit, but at the end of the day, is everything they did that good...

NickisSmart

Well, Blake did say that Milton was of the devil's party and simply didn't know it... :)

Sway

I don't feel it's necessary to view him as a hero or a villian, esp. being that he's an andoid. That being said "questionable motives" becomes a very questionable statement within and of itself. He's not mentally I'll. Is he even fully aware of anything he does in the same way we humans are, or does he operate on some weird impulse level we can't comprehend? At the very least, I assume he doesn't view his actions as "bad". And further, any of David's actions we may view as bad probably aren't at all any worse than the sort of questionably sick shit we've been doing since perhaps the beginning of time. Just a boy wanting to live up to, and perhaps surpass the greatness of his "father" by any means necessary? We'll see....

BishopShouldGo

I want him to be like he was in Prometheus: good and bad. Make him hero and villain. Keep him complex. Yeah he'll save you from a snowstorm, but he'll also spike your drink. :)

Enoch

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 03, 2017, 10:16:37 PM
I want him to be like he was in Prometheus: good and bad. Make him hero and villain. Keep him complex. Yeah he'll save you from a snowstorm, but he'll also spike your drink. :)

Indeed.

whiterabbit

Damn good questions. I mean what if she arrives at paradise and meets the engineers first, to ask them her questions. There nothing to say that she doesn't like the answers given to her and orders David to make a u-turn and bomb the bastard back to hell. Shaw could have also been mortality wounded and David is attempting to save her. I just don't think David would kill Shaw, she's the only person to acknowledge him as a individual and hell, she definitely impressed him with her remarkably survival instincts. I can see him not bothering to wake her up but to outright kill her or crash out of incompetence doesn't rhyme all that well.

Ridley also says the question of why something would make this awful biology would be answered. It's not unreasonable that David is making it to stop something else. I think back to Holloway's "we made you because we could" and "it's a good thing you can't be disappointed". Then to David's "Doesn't everyone want their parents dead". To which Shaw answered "I didn't". He's sentient but he doesn't have a soul. The trick is not minding that it hurts. So I can buy into the "greater good" theory.

Samhain13

David have potential of being a great villain, I hope he is the final boss.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed