Why WY established colony on LV-426 without investigating Derelict ship?

Started by Ingwar, Jan 17, 2017, 10:32:43 PM

Author
Why WY established colony on LV-426 without investigating Derelict ship? (Read 25,896 times)

426Buddy

Quote from: SM on Jan 18, 2017, 01:06:55 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 18, 2017, 12:46:50 AM
Are you saying there's an agenda that OP isn't telling us about?

https://x4ashes4ashes.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/prometheus-vickers-3.gif?w=640
Had you created the thread yourself, Mr. Local Trouble, we'd happily be pursuing your agenda. But you didn't. And that makes you an employee.

Ingwar

Like your sense of humour guys :)

Why did you start the thread asking about it? Because I wanted to know what other people have to say?

Company had money to established the terraforming colony on LV-426. They had money to construct an Atmosphere Processing Plant to make the moon's atmosphere breathable. Hunky Dory? No really because Derelict ship wasn't located that far from Hadley's Hope. Why they haven't discovered it before terraforming, considering the Special Order was buried (which sounds stupid anyway)? If the Special Order wasn't buried then it has even less sense. As I wrote before, I don't buy Buried Special Order scenario. It's totally unconvincing. It works for the movie itself but it's cheesy. It doesn't fit reality of politics and business. There is no way that Company didn't know what had happened on LV-426 in Alien. The had to know therefore why buried special order? Makes no sense.

I love Aliens anyway :)

SM

QuoteCompany had money to established the terraforming colony on LV-426. They had money to construct an Atmosphere Processing Plant to make the moon's atmosphere breathable.

They were in partnership with the ECA.

QuoteNo really because Derelict ship wasn't located that far from Hadley's Hope.

There's no signal, and, as per the novelisation, if they could map the surface properly, the Derelict would just look like another rock formation.

QuoteWhy they haven't discovered it before terraforming, considering the Special Order was buried (which sounds stupid anyway)?

Answered your own question.

QuoteIf the Special Order wasn't buried then it has even less sense.

Yes.  Hence the opposite is true.

QuoteIt doesn't fit reality of politics and business.

How?  Are politicians and businesses all highly ethical, and not opportunistic and don't cut corners and cavalier with safety of employees all of a sudden?

QuoteThere is no way that Company didn't know what had happened on LV-426 in Alien.

How did they find out what happened on LV-426?

QuoteThe had to know therefore why buried special order? Makes no sense.

Like that sentence.  Not sure exactly what you're trying to say.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: SM on Jan 18, 2017, 10:37:57 AM
QuoteCompany had money to established the terraforming colony on LV-426. They had money to construct an Atmosphere Processing Plant to make the moon's atmosphere breathable.

They were in partnership with the ECA.

So what? I still doesn't change the fact that they were stinky rich.

QuoteNo really because Derelict ship wasn't located that far from Hadley's Hope.

There's no signal, and, as per the novelisation, if they could map the surface properly, the Derelict would just look like another rock formation.

Signal just disappeared? Yeah right. I don't give a monkey about novelisation. I'm talking here about movies.

QuoteWhy they haven't discovered it before terraforming, considering the Special Order was buried (which sounds stupid anyway)?

Answered your own question.

No I haven't. If you're going to invest trillions of bucks in terraforming new planet you should have checked things first. Derelict ship wasn't on the other side of the moon. It was close to the colony.

Why Newt's parents were sent to survey a previously unexplored area of the moon's surface, acting on information received from Carter Burke? At the given coordinates, they discovered Derelict.

QuoteIt doesn't fit reality of politics and business.

How?  Are politicians and businesses all highly ethical, and not opportunistic and don't cut corners and cavalier with safety of employees all of a sudden?

You didn't understand me. WY must have known that something funky was happening on LV-426 before the established the colony. They should have investigated the moon for their own purposes (bio-weapon and so on). Mining colony is nothing to compare what could have been discovered inside Derelict ship. From political and financial point of view it was a failure.

QuoteThere is no way that Company didn't know what had happened on LV-426 in Alien.

How did they find out what happened on LV-426?

Ash? Besides Nostromo received distress signal from LV-426 and everything was recorded in the system (Mother).

QuoteThe had to know therefore why buried special order? Makes no sense.

Like that sentence.  Not sure exactly what you're trying to say.

If they knew about what had happened on LV-426 and Nostromo ship (thanks Ash and Mother) why did they get rid of that data? Makes no sense because it was an opportunity for them to properly explore Derelict ship and learn about it.

Local Trouble

What's so hard to understand?  The company buried the order because it just cost the lives of seven of their employees and an expensive ship.  Do you think anyone shady enough to issue that order in the first place would willingly stand up and accept the blame for its consequences? 

Valaquen

Valaquen

Hadley's Hope was a shake n' bake colony. It was a cheap, co-funded microwave meal of an installation. Cobb and Cameron tried to make this clear by making the colony look prefabricated and simply set up on LV-426. Cobb explained that he designed the buildings as "long hexagonal, cylinder-type things that could be transported intact, lowered into place from some sort of hovercraft, and then mounted on huge concrete piers." The colony's model builder, Pat McClung, described the buildings as being built "out of giant shipping containers" The air ducts in the colony are a kind of giveaway. The colony's presence on LV-426 is no expensive, Prometheus-esque grand venture with an ulterior motive (since these plots were always secondary in the Alien films, fans have had to speculate endlessly for decades, hence 'Bishop planted the egg on the Sulaco' and other such things.)

As for the derelict's SOS, Cameron explained seismic acitivty displaced and damaged the derelict, destroying the signal apparatus. Alien covered this (unfilmed) by having Dallas simply switch it off.

The Company did not know about the Alien per se, only a signal which indicated either extraterrrestrial life or technology. The special order is likely one of, well, hundreds of orders stored within Company computers like Mother. Ash found an alien, so 937 was apt for the situation. Ridley et al spoke a lot about corporate paranoia, espionage, etc. Situations like the rerouting and an android being aboard were hinted to be secretive but not entirely unusual -- the Alien, however, was. Give this a look, it might elaborate: https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/the-android/

Ingwar

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 18, 2017, 01:46:18 PM
What's so hard to understand?  The company buried the order because it just cost the lives of seven of their employees and an expensive ship.  Do you think anyone shady enough to issue that order in the first place would willingly stand up and accept the blame for its consequences?

Company cared about Nostromo crew? Seriously?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 18, 2017, 01:54:07 PM

No, but they most likely cared about being nailed to wall with indictments and civil lawsuits.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 18, 2017, 01:48:55 PM
The Company did not know about the Alien per se, only a signal which indicated either extraterrrestrial life or technology.

True but receiving this kind of distress signal from space isn't something ordinary. It doesn't happen every day. It's bloody unique. They couldn't have ignored it after what had happened in Alien. If they have (and regarding Aliens plot they have) it makes them dumb.

Do you think that Ash didn't send specific report to Company HQ regarding LV-426 and Alien form life? I doubt that.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 18, 2017, 01:56:31 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 18, 2017, 01:54:07 PM

No, but they most likely cared about being nailed to wall with indictments and civil lawsuits.

Nobody would know about it. They would easily cover everything up. It's all about money and power. Even now governments and big companies do that on daily basis and look what happens. Nothing.

Valaquen

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 18, 2017, 02:02:41 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 18, 2017, 01:48:55 PM
The Company did not know about the Alien per se, only a signal which indicated either extraterrrestrial life or technology.

True but receiving this kind of distress signal from space isn't something ordinary. It doesn't happen every day. It's bloody unique. They couldn't have ignored it after what had happened in Alien. If they have (and regarding Aliens plot they have) it makes them dumb.

We know very little about the wider Alien universe. The films are very singular in purpose. Most of us can't decide if the Alien is the first extraterrestrial contact or not. We simply don't know enough (there's a great BSG-style series in there, maybe, if someone wants to make it.)

QuoteDo you think that Ash didn't send specific report to Company HQ regarding LV-426 and Alien form life? I doubt that.

We don't know. Which is why it's difficult to agree one way or the other. In the first rewrites by Giler and Hill, the Company created the Alien. That changed as Dan O'Bannon got his hands on the script again during production. Everyone had differing ideas about the Company and their involvement. That's why it's so oblique.

But hey, makes for some good conversation (if, unlike Ash, we keep our heads)  :P

Ingwar

Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 18, 2017, 02:09:29 PM
QuoteDo you think that Ash didn't send specific report to Company HQ regarding LV-426 and Alien form life? I doubt that.

We don't know. Which is why it's difficult to agree one way or the other. In the first rewrites by Giler and Hill, the Company created the Alien. That changed as Dan O'Bannon got his hands on the script again during production. Everyone had differing ideas about the Company and their involvement. That's why it's so oblique.

But hey, makes for some good conversation (if, unlike Ash, we keep our heads)  :P

Agree :). We don't know but he can speculate and assume things. Discovering extraterrestrial signal like that makes it unique and I just don't understand why Company didn't bother about it after what had happened in Alien. It simply doesn't make sense for me. My opinion.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

an expensive ship.

Forty-two million in adjusted dollars. That's minus payload, of course.

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 18, 2017, 02:20:33 PM
Discovering extraterrestrial signal like that makes it unique and I just don't understand why Company didn't bother about it after what had happened in Alien. It simply doesn't make sense for me. My opinion.

Another question would be why the Company sent a couple of blue-collar space truckers to investigate the extraterrestrial signal in the first place. And why all the cloak and dagger stuff with regards to replacing the science officer with a droid. Only thing that would make sense is if it was a Burke-like individual or individuals acting on their own. If the Company itself was aware of the signal surely they would have sent in a specialized team such as we see in Alien 3 and not some beery truckers?

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 18, 2017, 05:40:45 PM
an expensive ship.

Forty-two million in adjusted dollars. That's minus payload, of course.

SM continues to withhold information regarding the monetary value of the payload.  >:(

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 18, 2017, 05:40:45 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 18, 2017, 02:20:33 PM
Discovering extraterrestrial signal like that makes it unique and I just don't understand why Company didn't bother about it after what had happened in Alien. It simply doesn't make sense for me. My opinion.

Another question would be why the Company sent a couple of blue-collar space truckers to investigate the extraterrestrial signal in the first place. And why all the cloak and dagger stuff with regards to replacing the science officer with a droid. Only thing that would make sense is if it was a Burke-like individual or individuals acting on their own. If the Company itself was aware of the signal surely they would have sent in a specialized team such as we see in Alien 3 and not some beery truckers?

Good question. Maybe Company sent them as a trail. They simply didn't want to make a risk at the very beginning. They didn't know what they were dealing with. It was a test just to see what will happen. For that reason they assigned droid agent Ash. Therefore Ash wasn't acting on his own. He was there to ensure than whatever Nostromo crew will find must come back to Company. But everything went south which leads to the question: why Company didn't send professional team to investigate LV-426 after Alien events?

Another question: what happened to distress signal coming from LV-426? It just disappeared?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 18, 2017, 06:05:35 PM
Another question: what happened to distress signal coming from LV-426? It just disappeared?

According to James Cameron, volcanic activity damaged the ship and silenced the beacon.  That's why it was in worse shape in Aliens than it was in Alien.  Behold...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed