DH Announces Aliens: Dead Orbit (April 2017)

Started by Ultramorph, Oct 05, 2016, 07:51:53 PM

Author
DH Announces Aliens: Dead Orbit (April 2017) (Read 84,889 times)

Russ840

Did you read it yet ?

Whiskeybrewer

Not yet but will do when i get home

Russ840

Cool. Looling forward to hearing what you and others think of it.

Ultramorph

The first issue was great! Man, the art is too-notch, and I liked the whole vibe of the station and the characters. The suits and the tech look so visceral. Also, did I spot a Resurrection-era reference when they mention
Spoiler
an "old company freighter" and the outer colonies going "tits up"? It is set in that era afterall.
[close]

426Buddy

Man that was a great issue!!! The art is great and im really digging the story.

It has this kind of retro alien vibe going on that i loved. Cant wait for the next issue!

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 26, 2017, 10:46:51 PM
The first issue was great! Man, the art is too-notch, and I liked the whole vibe of the station and the characters. The suits and the tech look so visceral. Also, did I spot a Resurrection-era reference when they mention
Spoiler
an "old company freighter" and the outer colonies going "tits up"? It is set in that era afterall.
[close]

Still about 80 yeara earlier than Resurrection but its getting that way. 

Still about 80 years earlier than Resurrection but its getting that way. 

I loves the mug that the woman crew member was drinking from on the bridge.

I have the highest of hopes for this and this first issue really delivers.

Kurai

Quote from: SM on Apr 17, 2017, 10:56:07 PM
What were some examples of cringeworthy dialogue and awkward sexual tension?

I'm going to give it another read through this weekend after my Fire and Stone/Life and Death full read through, just to make sure my memory isn't just a little warped, but I swear there was something at least alluded to between Hicks and Newt? Then again I may be mixing it up with her and that android...

On the topic of Dead Orbit, gosh the artwork is so full of detail and clutter and... I love it. Lines, lines and bits sticking out everywhere and it feels so right for the setting. I can't explain it well, it just has that same idea of an "industrial-punk gritty future" that the original Alien movie had.

Dialogue is also top notch with each character easily expressing their personalities through what they say and how they react to each other.

Spoiler
Not a fan of the fake-out with the metal stuff near the end. While it was a nice psychological nod to the biomechanical nature of the Xenomorph it felt like a waste of a panel considering the real deal shows up almost right away. Still... I know that this same thing has happened to me while playing AvP so it really is such a small nitpick in an otherwise great first issue.
[close]

Whiskeybrewer

What a fantastic first issue. This is an Alien comic on superb form. The artwork was great and i loved the interplay between the characters

also
Spoiler
The Cryotube sequence was fantastically horrible
[close]

Russ840

Agreed. Cant wait for what's to come. Im hoping ill be able to add another Aliens comic to movie list of 'Great' Aliens comics. The list is sadly small.

ClockworkHorror

How does it compare to Defiance, theme wise?

Russ840

Quote from: ClockworkHorror on May 02, 2017, 06:03:57 PM

It's more akin to Alien than it is Aliens. Although Defiance has horror elements, this is flat out a tense, suspense filled horror. 

ClockworkHorror

Quote from: Russ840 on May 02, 2017, 06:58:03 PM

It's more akin to Alien than it is Aliens. Although Defiance has horror elements, this is flat out a tense, suspense filled horror. 
Quote from: Russ840 on May 02, 2017, 06:58:03 PM

That's AWESOME!

Corporal Hicks

I just read #1 and it is fantastic. Absolutely gorgeous comic. Dark Horse have stepped it up in the art department with having the likes of Tristan Jones and James Stokoe getting on the Alien comics.

Obviously, with it being only the first issue there isn't a whole lot to go on but I'm liking the direction and tone of the series so far. It's working very well together. Really looking forward to more.

Russ840

I won't get my hopes up too high but this is looking to be up there with Book 2 and Labyrinth, as the best Aliens comics there is.

I am confident Stokoe will hit a home run here.

Have you read Half century War, Hicks?

Corporal Hicks

It doesn't ring a bell? What's that?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed