What was the reason for Ash's malfunction?

Started by Bughunter S. Thomson, Sep 08, 2016, 04:07:03 PM

Author
What was the reason for Ash's malfunction? (Read 9,141 times)

windebieste

Flat battery, maybe.

-Windebieste.

g2vd

Quote from: SM on Sep 08, 2016, 11:39:32 PM
Quote from: g2vd on Sep 08, 2016, 11:28:58 PM
Quote from: windebieste on Sep 08, 2016, 10:53:24 PMEverything thing about David is to make the android comfortable around characters it interacts with.
Uhh, unless you are total Dumb-Dumb like the Prom Tea US crew was I don't think anything about David is comfortable.

The formed their own hip-hop group?
Yes.

It bombed horribly.

Apparently the public didn't want to listen to "Blow Up The Head"

Xenomorphine

As someone who's studied AI, I agree with Winde about how emotions would only ever be an illusion, at best (the Turing Test is literally about measuring how convincing the mere illusion of AI is, after all), but would say SM has it right about Ash's behaviour: Like a Skynet Terminator, it would effectively be programmed to exhibit certain traits, like how it would calculate the most relevant emotional state to be. Ash would be undertaking a lot of processing 'overhead', precisely because of not being able to know whether or not a member of the crew might be observing. Ash is effectively maintaining an illusion all of the time and devoting a lot of processing power to that end,

Bishop, however, makes it clear that the Asimovian rules were never codified during the time of Ash's model.

What's interesting, now that I think about it, is that Ash's faked human crew profile is scrolling up behind Ripley when she's stating her case, yet Burke's later casually acknowledging Ash was known to be a synthetic, right down to specifying the actual model!

SM

The crew profile for Ash is mostly security classified, but doesn't show a fake human profile.  It mentions he was operational for four years, and there's no DOB, no Social Security number, etc.

Xenomorphine

That's good, if so. I've been meaning to rewatch it for a few weeks now. This gives me additional reason. :)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Is the movie supposed to contain more information than a stock photo and some illegible text?

judge death

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2016, 12:29:06 AM
No doubt he is acting a bit odd, but I would disagree in so much as it doesn't make Ash terribly robust.

It seems to be at odds that he can function with his head ripped off, but you slap him around a bit and he goes on a murderous rampage.  Vickers did the same thing to David and he didn't malfunction.

It could however be, as I think has been suggested, it was more a software issue than hardware.
But didnt bishop say that model was a bit twitchy and accidents happened with that model?

I always presumed he followed his orders once he received them but wasnt trying to kill the crew himself until:
When he is in the room with Ripley he seems first try to argue/speak to her in a peaceful way, but once Ripley pushes him to the wall, he starts to act differently and starts to try to kill her and others, either software or hardware problem there.
I wonder what Ash would had said if Ripley took it more calmly and didnt push him into the wall? If one could reason with it or if he would start killing anyway? :P

whiterabbit

It was the tits on the wall that caused Ash's malfunction. Oh god I'm so sorry guys but I couldn't help it.  :laugh:

Master

Oh You!

Xenomania

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 12, 2016, 02:03:43 AM
It was the tits on the wall that caused Ash's malfunction. Oh god I'm so sorry guys but I couldn't help it.  :laugh:
He does seem to look at them just before he comes up with the idea of using the magazine to choke/penetrate Ripley. ;)

Valaquen

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 10, 2016, 11:27:45 PM
Is the movie supposed to contain more information than a stock photo and some illegible text?

The text was included on the Anthology.

Kimo

I always got the impression, Ashes AI malfunctioned. (Personal Theory not canon in anyway). He was reprogrammed before he was put on board the Nostromo, But his model was not really designed to spy or infiltrate. And because of this, too many conflicts happened with his new programming and he went nuts when too many codes started to conflict with each other. (Like can you imagine installing Windows 10 on a machine that can just about cope with Windows 7 on it. And without doing a fresh installation first.) Maybe the company never had any proper Androids on hand to Infiltrat the Nostromo. The only thing The Company had available before the Nostromo set sail was Ash. so they're reprogram him without thinking of the consequences. Anyhow just a Theory.

Bishop to me was always a robot that was following orders and playing it straight as a dye. However it is obvious that at the beginning  of the movie he is made to look like the potential badguy but ends up being the red herring. Anyhow maybe Bishop already read I was briefed  about Ripley and Ash? making him more wary about how to act around Ripley, especially at the start of aliens when they first get introduced. To me Bishop's program was working 100% as it should have been.

David always fascinates me the most. Being Wayland personal Android, It would not surprised me if david has more free reign over his own artificial intelligence, and has more of a superior operating/programme  then Ash and Bishop have.. David's choice to go rogue was because he choose to, and not because he was malfunctioning or because he was programmed to be bad. To me David is like when they switch off Arnold chip in Terminator 2 so he can become more self aware of his surroundings rather than following a code.

"Call" I do not really have an opinion on, because it is mentioned in the movie why her type acted the way it did after the find out that she's a machine. Call probably been programmed by Microsoft and has more things common with 'Tay' then Ash, Bishop and David. Lol.

PsyKore

I don't believe he malfunctioned at all. His mission was discovered, Ripley was going to tell the others, so he then has no choice but to kill her.

Nostromo

Quote from: PsyKore on Sep 13, 2016, 12:23:47 AM
I don't believe he malfunctioned at all. His mission was discovered, Ripley was going to tell the others, so he then has no choice but to kill her.

Thank you, that's what I've been babbling about all along lol. End of story. Nothing else to it.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 13, 2016, 12:33:41 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Sep 13, 2016, 12:23:47 AM

Thank you, that's what I've been babbling about all along lol. End of story. Nothing else to it.
Yea he didn't malfunction but I think there was a conflict in programming. He didn't want to kill her but to follow orders like a good robot; he had no real choice in the matter.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed