A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 18, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Author
A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection? (Read 35,968 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 31, 2016, 03:08:43 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 31, 2016, 02:51:44 AM
Don't get me wrong - I do like Blomkapf's conceptual art and visual ideas and designs. That stuff looks very promising indeed. It's the story concept and premise of the movie that falls really short. It's a great piece of fanon materiel and would make up for a decent Aliens comic, but as a movie - no way.

As it looks right now I think there will be some major changes, especially since A:C (Alien: Covenant) and it's sequel will throw a bunch of new restrictions and limitations for Blomkapf to work with.

OMG! This gave me a good chuckle...

It was one letter away from "Blomkampf"...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree, there were some very interesting stuff in the concept art. I love the look of that Marine in a more armoured suit, he had a really cool looking helmet on. Also that mutated dude on a wall. Plus this monolith like structure and that Derelict in a W-Y warehouse. Some very nice artwork.

It's my phone's stupid autocorrect. For some reason it insists on spelling it that way. I have to wrestle the phone and still it ends up with something not quite right. I've stopped bothering, haha. Maybe my phone isnt a big fan of Mr. B directing this movie either.

Perfect-Organism

I've said before but it deserves repeating, I'm not at all a fan of Ripley in that alien suit.  It looks too much like a Halloween outfit and a bad one to boot.  It's got some strange cosplay superheroine Catwoman vibe to it,

That being said, I'm not entirely against the idea of human (even specifically Ripley if the story really calls for it) interaction or merging with alien tech.  Just not the way it was presented.  I mean, make Ripley go bald and get a look like an Engineer, and that could work.  Maybe post-Covenant, that will be a change in direction.  But overall, the premise of going after a grander story with Ripley and Hicks is an epic coup d'etat.  I love that premise.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 11:34:48 PMBlomkamp's Aliens sequel will do wonders for the series.

That's a pretty massive assumption given that we don't know if the film will be great or shite...

It's not like everything Blomkamp touches is a masterpiece. He's made one excellent movie and two very mediocre, patchy ones.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 31, 2016, 03:16:46 AM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 31, 2016, 03:08:43 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 31, 2016, 02:51:44 AM
Don't get me wrong - I do like Blomkapf's conceptual art and visual ideas and designs. That stuff looks very promising indeed. It's the story concept and premise of the movie that falls really short. It's a great piece of fanon materiel and would make up for a decent Aliens comic, but as a movie - no way.

As it looks right now I think there will be some major changes, especially since A:C (Alien: Covenant) and it's sequel will throw a bunch of new restrictions and limitations for Blomkapf to work with.

OMG! This gave me a good chuckle...

It was one letter away from "Blomkampf"...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree, there were some very interesting stuff in the concept art. I love the look of that Marine in a more armoured suit, he had a really cool looking helmet on. Also that mutated dude on a wall. Plus this monolith like structure and that Derelict in a W-Y warehouse. Some very nice artwork.

It's my phone's stupid autocorrect. For some reason it insists on spelling it that way. I have to wrestle the phone and still it ends up with something not quite right. I've stopped bothering, haha. Maybe my phone isnt a big fan of Mr. B directing this movie either.

Haha, I know the struggle man, autocorrect can be such a ducking struggle!  :laugh:

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 31, 2016, 08:31:48 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 11:34:48 PMBlomkamp's Aliens sequel will do wonders for the series.

That's a pretty massive assumption given that we don't know if the film will be great or shite...

It's not like everything Blomkamp touches is a masterpiece. He's made one excellent movie and two very mediocre, patchy ones.

That's absolutely true, people need to remember that nothing is set in stone. This movie can either make or break the franchise. It might turn out better than all the films so far, or it might turn out so shite that the franchise takes a decades long break from shame.

Master

Bad with Hic and Nuts? Impossible  :P

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 31, 2016, 03:15:26 PM
This movie can either make or break the franchise. It might turn out better than all the films so far, or it might turn out so shite that the franchise takes a decades long break from shame.

I doubt it would top Alien and Aliens. But it's unlikely to sink as low as AVP:R either. Blomkamp is certainly a cut above those two dudes who directed that abomination.

One thing is for certain, he's going to have his work cut out to top Alien 3.

BishopShouldGo

I don't think there's pressure. I don't think it's a matter of topping Alien 3.

HuDaFuK

It is. Because if they go through with this daft retcon, only to make a film that's not as good as Alien 3, what was even the point?

Perfect-Organism

There should be pressure.  If he doesn't feel it, he's be mistaken.  If he doesn't feel up to it, he shouldn't bother.  I am very stoked by his level of confidence and hopefully his last 2 duds will help him rise to the occasion.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Never mind Alien 3. If anything, he should feel pressure to make something as good as Alien and Aliens. Why couldn't he, and why shouldn't he strive for that? District 9 is in that wheelhouse of quality and with Ridley's input, he should be able to knock it out of the park.

His art reflects what's in his mind and further cements that he's the correct guy for the movie: http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Alien-Blomkamp-concept-art-05.jpg, http://cdn1-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/gallery/neill-blomkamps-alien-sequel/10903691_1527947634150588_295305742_n.jpg

Stuff that looks cool and blue and big and a natural progression, like the first two movies. Who wants to look at muddy, dirty corridors that don't invoke the best side of science fiction? I don't recall Zemeckis and Gale throwing us a f**k-you curveball with Back to the Future III. They gave us something unexpected yet something we wanted.

I'm pumped and a half.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 31, 2016, 07:26:58 PM
Never mind Alien 3. If anything, he should feel pressure to make something as good as Alien and Aliens. Why couldn't he, and why shouldn't he strive for that? District 9 is in that wheelhouse of quality and with Ridley's input, he should be able to knock it out of the park.

His art reflects what's in his mind and further cements that he's the correct guy for the movie: http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Alien-Blomkamp-concept-art-05.jpg, http://cdn1-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/gallery/neill-blomkamps-alien-sequel/10903691_1527947634150588_295305742_n.jpg

Stuff that looks cool and blue and big and a natural progression, like the first two movies. Who wants to look at muddy, dirty corridors that don't invoke the best side of science fiction? I don't recall Zemeckis and Gale throwing us a f**k-you curveball with Back to the Future III. They gave us something unexpected yet something we wanted.

I'm pumped and a half.

Well said.  He should aim for the stars and try to make the best sci-fi film ever.  I don't mean that to take what was done and copy it times 10.  I mean he should use the characters he has to work with and really come up with something original that would be a worthy sequel to Alien and Aliens.  He will succeed only if even the most die-hard Alien 3 fans are converted.  I think he has what it takes.  As long as he has good story writers work with him, it should be epic.

BishopShouldGo

He does have what it takes, but he doesn't need to "convert" Alien 3 fans to succeed. If none of the ardent Alien 3 fans showed up, the box office would maybe be down a couple thousand bucks. If even that.

Ultimately you have to make these movies for the masses; for the people that don't go on websites like these. We are a minute percentage of the actual moviegoers. "Hardcore fans" are already built into the "mass audience" and will see any entry no matter what, but the "mass audience" doesn't consist of only "hardcore fans".

Ultimately, just make a good movie. So simple.

Perfect-Organism

True.  I'm not implying that the movie should be targeted at fans of Alien 3, but what I do mean is that if he makes a film that is so good that even the Alien 3 hardcore fans prefer it over Alien 3, then I think we would really have something good.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 31, 2016, 07:26:58 PMWho wants to look at muddy, dirty corridors that don't invoke the best side of science fiction?

Alien and Aliens consist almost entirely of locations that are grimy and dirty. The only place that doesn't look dirty is Gateway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed