What's Wrong With AvP?

Started by overthere, Dec 05, 2015, 12:25:08 PM

Author
What's Wrong With AvP? (Read 34,718 times)

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

The novel still has an error in that regard. Miller is incapacitated by the alien as he is in the film, yet still randomly appears and comes across Weyland's body a few chapters later. There is no explanation whatsoever of how he escaped. It comes across more like just a plain mistake.

SiL

SiL

No, I know. It's even in the shooting script. It's really weird.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Kinda like how the book explicitly states Thomas' bottlecap goes into the ravine... yet Lex has it in her pocket at the end.

I had no idea Cerasini actually tried to keep the novel accurate to the evolving film script (as opposed to most novelisations, which just taken an early draft and stick to it, regardless of how it changes). That would explain some of those odd discrepancies.

SiL

SiL

I actually wrote an article about how the script developed, because it was honestly fairly interesting, but I'm waiting for Hicks to read it and publish it :laugh:

I didn't realise Cerasini was doing that either until going through the older drafts and re-reading early script reviews. Everyone's name is slightly different in the earlier drafts, but accurate in the novel. The whole Cambodia opening was abandoned by September 26, 2003. The 1904 whaling scene originally featured a character named Jimmy, not Karl, who was "all of 19" and not the "bearded, strapping whaler" in the production draft.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

That sounds like it would be a good read. I wouldn't mind reading the first draft script if it ever pops up anywhere. There are scenes included that are not even in the novel, such as Stafford visiting Washington DC personally to recruit Miller.

SiL

SiL

And as I said on the previous page, an entire character and subplot just ... gone.

Not to mention those five damned Predators!

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Apr 27, 2017, 12:32:24 PMI actually wrote an article about how the script developed, because it was honestly fairly interesting, but I'm waiting for Hicks to read it and publish it :laugh:

That sounds interesting, I really enjoy hearing about what got dropped and what changed and things like that. I look forward to reading it.

Tell Hicks to get his thumb out :P

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I can't recall if it was the script or the novel but the situation with scar was not even mentioned, I think he still got infected but it was "offscreen" so to speak so it just seems like the chestburster just comes out of nowhere.

SiL

SiL

The novel and script both don't show the hugger jumping.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I know that another Predator gets it but is killed off I believe.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 27, 2017, 12:42:22 PM
Tell Hicks to get his thumb out :P

I'm really busy! Leave me alone.  :laugh: It's on my list of stuff to do. Just got a lot of Covvie focused stuff on my hands atm and not a great deal of time.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I feel you really!

genocyber

genocyber

I think the main problem from AVP comes from it decided to play things too safe. The characters are very underdeveloped, with a very stop and go pace to the story. Their was a huge lack of substantial action and suspense for a movie involving these two monsters where explosions and dread often occurred. The human action was almost non existent, with the soldiers Weyland brought with him were useless. I really think the movie should have taken a page from Predator on how to make it more action packed.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

It probably wasn't going for action packed, as judging by the slow build up and their attempt at suspence, they were trying to emulate the first movie a bit...which would be hard to do for a film that is pg rated.

SM

SM

What was there in Alien before the chestburster was higher than a PG (apart from Ripley's F-bomb)?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed