What's Wrong With AvP?

Started by overthere, Dec 05, 2015, 12:25:08 PM

Author
What's Wrong With AvP? (Read 34,610 times)

Mister Skeezler

Mister Skeezler

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 12, 2017, 09:44:30 AM
Machiko was a colony administrator.

She had no more prior combat skill than Lex did.
Seriously. I mean I like Machiko and I'm not a fan of Lex, but at least Lex was scaling a cliff at one point, so there was some physical prowess.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Mister Skeezler on Apr 12, 2017, 06:36:10 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 12, 2017, 09:44:30 AM
Machiko was a colony administrator.

She had no more prior combat skill than Lex did.
Seriously. I mean I like Machiko and I'm not a fan of Lex, but at least Lex was scaling a cliff at one point, so there was some physical prowess.

Machiko had firearms training and was a highly skilled martial artist.  :P

Mister Skeezler

Mister Skeezler

Huh...I guess I haven't read that graphic novel in a while. Thanks!

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: genocyber on Apr 12, 2017, 04:37:18 PM
The only problem people have with the Aliens is just their teeth, mainly. The rest of them looks perfectly fine.
You are being far too kind.

Scorpio

Scorpio

The alien suits are good, definitely better than Aliens (design notwithstanding).  I mean, if you see the Aliens warrior suits in normal lighting it looks ridiculous.  Same with the suits in AVPR, but at least it wasn't just a leotard with bits attached.  I don't have too many issues with the design as I like the ridge head look more than the Aliens warriors.  The neck also looks very biomechanical. 

The body section is recycled from Alien Resurrection, and it looks much better in that film and I don't think that design works outside of A:R, it makes the aliens look too much like fleshy monsters.  I don't care too much however as these aren't 'Alien' films.

The teeth, well, it appears they wanted something more monster-like than human-like:

SiL

SiL

Better made than Aliens, but not as well shot in either film.

SM

SM

The plated head (rather than the original ribbed look) was awful.  And the jaw and jaw tendons were rubbish.

The performance on the PredAlien was very average too.  The bit in the hospital when it gets slashed then backs off you could almost hear it saying "Kill him, my evil minions!"

Russ840

Russ840

everything about the movie is awful.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

I always say that its because of that PG 13 rating and the pacing of the story. It felt like we were on a timer, have to go to point A to B without even expanding a bit more on the characters and the setting. For example, I do love the dialogue between Lex and Weyland, both showing how Weyland isn't just the CEO of a major corporation, but a man who has to be actual respectable reason to why going, wanting to leave a huge contribution to the world, a legacy to be proud of. Like an actual human being and not a 2D cartoon villain. And the fact the old man gave a go against Scar was actually kind of sad but admirable. Something to get me rooting for these guys other than just survival and cuz the movie told me to. It was always a "goddammit" movement with me when each character died off in Aliens, cuz how badass and human these folks were.

And just like everyone else, that damm PG 13 rating had to dumb down the violent nature of both the Alien and the Predator. I wanted some spine ripping or disembowelment, pure creatures of predatory and deadly nature. They had them so held back, it sucked.

SM

SM

They had 40 minutes to expand on the characters before shit started going down.  What expanding they did wasn't terribly expansive.

windebieste

windebieste

The rating has nothing to do with it.  'Jaws' was rated PG. 

'AvP' is just an average movie at best.  The R-rating for the second movie did nothing to improve it - in fact, that movie is even worse.

Being a good movie has nothing to do with ratings.  It's got to do with the talent behind it being used well.

-Windebieste.

SiL

SiL

There was originally a triangle between Lex, Sebastian, and a rival of Sebastian's named Verheiden, whom Lex had a romantic history with. Verheiden was the one who took the last gun out of the sarcophagus and his team replaced Sebastian's at Teotihuacan.

Verheiden was dropped, his name was given to a character named Vincenzo, Lex's backstory was switched to a past with Quinn in the novel, and then that too was ditched.

Wouldn't have been much, but damn, it would've been something at least.

SM

SM

While they can help we don't even really need backstories especially.  Alien didn't have any.  There was the odd flash of good character writing with Weyland and Lex talking about Weyland's legacy and Lex's dad.  It was a good example of backstory that was relevant to Weyland's predicament.  Though it didn't reveal anything about Lex especially.

Similarly, Verheiden and Miller having something in common with their children, and Miller turning into the tough guy was a nice touch - then they were dead two minutes later.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Miller really doesn't get a break in the novel, I believe he manages to escape only to get captured again, he also comes across Weyland's body.

I have to disagree somewhat with the ratings not mattering, usually its true that its not a rating what makes a film and needless gore is just that, needless but Aliens and Predators come from an R rated background and us fans expected to see a level of violence associated with that. In AVP, I don't think we actually see much human "deaths" properly except Rousseau's and Weyland's but then the former was in extreme close ups and in the latter we only see his reaction, not the killing stroke itself. Oh we do see that guy get speared in the shack but that is more or less it)
Requiem basically overcompensated in that regard by being too over the top in the gore department.

The movie should have been half hour longer to properly develop the characters, though really speaking they could done more in the time they had.

SiL

SiL

Verheiden doesn't get captured in the September 26th draft of the script, then he does in the production script ... then the later scene of him finding Weyland is verbatim the earlier draft. Him being captured was done during production/a reshoot, and for whatever reason Cerasini was updating the novel to be the latest version of the story at all times while still retaining long-abandoned concepts.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed