Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 196,271 times)

XenoZipper

Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 15, 2016, 10:55:31 PM
The solicitation for #8, out on December 28:
Spoiler

QuoteAliens: Defiance #8

Brian Wood (W), Tristan Jones (A), Dan Jackson (C), and Massimo Carnevale (Cover)

On sale Dec 28

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

Ongoing

Keeping a baby xenomorph alive, even in a frozen state, contradicts all the survival instincts that Zula and Hollis have. But by studying the alien in cryostasis, Davis believes he can discover how to exterminate it and the rest of its forsaken, vile race permanently. Is he dooming the mission in the name of science?

I wonder of that's the planet we see them crashing on in Extravehicular? I doubt it's LV-223!  :laugh:
[close]

Also, DH has a short preview of #5. It's good to have Tristan back! Beware of spoilers.
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/29-854?page=0

Not too bad of a cover for #8. Not too crazy on how the Xeno's look on it but I'm getting used to that from Life & Death & don't keep my hopes up too high. I don't read reviews on comics though. Never read a single one for any comic, I just read the issue when it comes out :P

426Buddy

Lol nostomo we have totally different taste in cover art :laugh:

I really dislike the covers for this series, especially #5.

However Tristan's art is amazing and that preview for #5 hits the sweet spot for this alien fan.

XenoZipper

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 16, 2016, 12:32:22 AM

However Tristan's art is amazing and that preview for #5 hits the sweet spot for this alien fan.

Yea that's me in a nutshell. Not really digging the covers for any of the newer series' going on for Aliens, Pred or Prometheus but at least the art inside Defiance makes up for that (even though the story is doing nothing for me). Can't say the same about Life & Death though. Is it me or it the art getting worse on that or at the very least, looks lazy especially after Prometheus #4?

Nostromo

Nostromo

I hated covers 3-4, I hate aliens in jungles but I like this cover for some reason..not too crazy about the claws/hands though. Heads look ok. Tristan art is number 1.

Quote from: XenoZipper on Sep 16, 2016, 12:36:23 AM

Yea that's me in a nutshell. Not really digging the covers for any of the newer series' going on for Aliens, Pred or Prometheus but at least the art inside Defiance makes up for that (even though the story is doing nothing for me). Can't say the same about Life & Death though. Is it me or it the art getting worse on that or at the very least, looks lazy especially after Prometheus #4?

Yeah, thank God for Defiance. Issue #5 looks KICK ASS both for Alien & Aliens fans! It looks so good I'm willing to forgive anything that's coming up in Life & Death. Fuel Depots & Corridors bro. lol

XenoZipper

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 16, 2016, 01:21:15 AM
Quote from: XenoZipper on Sep 16, 2016, 12:36:23 AM

Yeah, thank God for Defiance. Issue #5 looks KICK ASS both for Alien & Aliens fans! It looks so good I'm willing to forgive anything that's coming up in Life & Death. Fuel Depots & Corridors bro. lol

I've seen nothing about #5 yet as I avoid reviews so I'll find out when the issue comes out I guess. Fuel depots & corridors mean nothing to me. I'm looking for New things, not retreading the same areas we've seen before. I'm not looking to recreate Alien, Aliens or Isolation but that's me.

Nostromo

Quote from: XenoZipper on Sep 16, 2016, 01:44:21 AM
I've seen nothing about #5 yet as I avoid reviews so I'll find out when the issue comes out I guess. Fuel depots & corridors mean nothing to me. I'm looking for New things, not retreading the same areas we've seen before. I'm not looking to recreate Alien, Aliens or Isolation but that's me.

I guess it's hard to come up with new and unique ideas like the ones in Labyrinth and that other nice comic you posted the other day.

Out of curiosity, do you ever write your own ideas down on paper or do you know how to draw well?

XenoZipper

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 16, 2016, 01:54:20 AM
Quote from: XenoZipper on Sep 16, 2016, 01:44:21 AM

I guess it's hard to come up with new and unique ideas like the ones in Labyrinth and that other nice comic you posted the other day.

Out of curiosity, do you ever write your own ideas down on paper or do you know how to draw well?

Yep I come up with ideas on a constant basis but they rarely have to do with the Aliens or Pred just because I know how hard it is to please the fans so I personally wouldn't even attempt writing anything in that world. As for drawing... pfft I wish!! I have 0 drawing skills whatsoever or I'd be going crazy with that and the ideas I come up with. Most of the stuff I write is more along the lines of H.P.Lovecraft.

HuDaFuK

I'm loving Carnivale's covers for this series lol.

I even like the less-than-perfect Aliens on this one, it makes them look like ghostly wraiths in the mist.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Wow...no one's written in here for a while.

Just picked up and read Aliens Defiance issue #5.

This is THE BEST Aliens issue I've read in years and so far my favorite one of the series. You can tell the writer and artists have putten great work and time into this. Every page kept me on my feet and wanting more. Unfkinbelieavable. I love this story and sceneries.

I truly believe that this entire series should one day be made into a movie. The story is that good. Unreal. I really like the characters even more now.

Anyhow this is a perfect 10/10 issue for me.

XenoZipper

Just finished reading #05. Eh. It was ok but still not captivating me all that much.

Spoiler
Personally I felt it took too many notes from Alien Isolation when I'd rather it just be it's own thing. Bringing that tool thing in that Amanda uses in the game, Dr.Hollis' line of "listen, there's something on this station", pretty much the same line like the first guy you come across in the game, nitpicky things I know but that stuff bugs me. The gore was decent though, that was about it that saved it for me. I laughed when Zula started talking about Dr.Yang maybe betraying her. Saw that coming a mile away, predictable. The Aliens were drawn fairly nice though. So yea, the Aliens & the gore kills were about all I liked personally. I still have no care for Zula in the slightest.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 29, 2016, 01:23:21 AMThis is THE BEST Aliens issue I've read in years and so far my favorite one of the series.

:laugh: Was literally just coming on here to say this. Although technically this is the first Aliens series I've actually read... But definitely my favourite issue of it so far.

Spoiler
Personally, I loved all the Isolation beats. The fate of the fuel station was a nice parallel to Sevastopol. Also, the slaughter montage was pretty disturbing.
[close]

Great stuff.

XenoZipper

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 29, 2016, 08:34:37 AM
Spoiler
Personally, I loved all the Isolation beats. The fate of the fuel station was a nice parallel to Sevastopol. Also, the slaughter montage was pretty disturbing.
[close]

Spoiler
And that's what I'm having a problem with. It was too much like Sevastopol to me that it just felt like they were repeating things instead of doing something different but then again, I'm not a huge fan of Isolation either as I felt that was trying too hard to be Alien instead of it's own thing. I do agree with the slaughter montage though & thought that was pretty good.
[close]

Russ840

Russ840

Did anyone notice

Spoiler
The dog alien that Tristan snuck in ?
[close]
Amazing book.

Sorry I don know how to make that covered with a spoiler tag. Can a moderator do it ?

Whiskeybrewer

I loved #5, Its a great beat in the overall story and the double realisation for Zula was brilliant.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Sep 29, 2016, 10:56:30 AM
Sorry I don know how to make that covered with a spoiler tag. Can a moderator do it ?

Done and it's this one.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed