Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 196,590 times)

Ultramorph

Either way, that is one excellent drawing of an Engineer.  ;D

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 27, 2016, 11:42:59 AM
Must admit, despite not being a comic fan this has got me interested enough to pick it up (if I ever remember to pre-order it). Kudos, T-Rex.

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jan 26, 2016, 05:23:26 PMWe're two years after Isolation...

Interesting that you're post-Isolation, given that you've said Amanda's going to be in it. Obviously she's still around after the Sevastopol thing.

One assumes that Amanda's involvement is POST Sevastapol... ;)

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 27, 2016, 01:25:14 PM
Either way, that is one excellent drawing of an Engineer.  ;D

Thanks man!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jan 27, 2016, 03:01:06 PMOne assumes that Amanda's involvement is POST Sevastapol... ;)

True enough!

Corporal Hicks

Another one!

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Awesome.  Ok, I'm stitching all of these together.  I think we have the whole comic here!  ;-P  Kidding.  Keep them coming.  I haven't been this excited about an Aliens comic in ages..

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 27, 2016, 11:42:59 AM
Must admit, despite not being a comic fan this has got me interested enough to pick it up (if I ever remember to pre-order it). Kudos, T-Rex.

You are on your way to becoming a comic fan.  Resistance is futile.  Give in to the dark side...

Mr. Clemens

When will this be available in Canada? Though I usually want to wait for the trade paperback, I can't wait to buy this!

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jan 29, 2016, 02:53:59 AM
When will this be available in Canada? Though I usually want to wait for the trade paperback, I can't wait to buy this!

It's basically always the same time as the US.  Rrrrroll up the rrrrrim Mr. Clemens...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jan 29, 2016, 02:53:59 AM

From the sounds of it, that's actually detrimental to the series in question - not buying the singles.

tyrannosaurusjones

Yeah... preorders and having the comic down on your standing orders at comic shops are the most vital part of keeping a book alive. Basically, the more standing orders a shop has for a book (as in, how many customers have the book ordered in specifically for them and held aside for them when it comes in as opposed to having copies on the shelf for any random to pick up), the more the shop has to order IN ADDITION to what they might stock for their shelves. A shop might order six for the shelves, but that might sell out, and if you don't have a standing order, then you miss out. So because a shop is ordering MORE specifically for people with standing orders, that tells Diamond (the distributor) that it's selling, and they tell Dark Horse, so the sales figures go up. The better the sales figures, the longer a book lasts. Single issues are the lifeblood of any comic. Trade waiting is fundamentally flawed in that without the single issues, you don't have trades. The sales of single issues usually help cover the ongoing fees for the writers, artists, and everyone else involved in the production and it is a cheaper way to produce the story itself. I f everything was done as straight graphic novels, the expenses would be higher, because they have no gage on how well a book might sell. Single issues ARE the gage for the collected books. If a single issue run is selling well, then they know the trades probably will too. If singles don't -- and this was the case at Mirage when I wrote the TMNT -- then sometimes you don't even GET trades of the material, because the publisher can't justify the costs and effort when the on-paper math doesn't project a good future.

It's long, it's convoluted, and it may or may not be broken, but that's unfortunately how it is. What I can promise you is that Defiance is a very, very single issue friendly book.

Also, just so you guys know, there'll be a guest artist coming in at #3 and #4 (some of it from the looks of things) so I can get ahead on the heavier shit that comes after that... but it's gonna be wild. They both very character centric "episodes" (you'll see what I mean when #1 hits) and I'm a big fan of the artist coming on and he's gonna rock it pretty hard.

Anyway, back to the point, if you can get into your shops and start/add to your single issue standing order, that's the best way to tell Dark Horse you want more. Trade sales obviously help (and if you're like me, you can just get the trade later and give the single issues to a kid -- get THEM into it all too), and digital comics via the Dark Horse app are great too, if you don't have a comic shop nearby.

Corporal Hicks

All the Alien & Predator comics I've brought since 09 have been in singles. I keep meaning to actually buy the trades because all my other comics are singles too and space is now becoming an issue for me! Need to put them into storage - or as you say, give them to other folk.

tyrannosaurusjones

I got a tremendous kick out of seeing the eight year old I gave all my Aliens comics too BEAMING -- had no idea about what ALIENS was and he f**king LOVED it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jan 29, 2016, 01:57:52 PM
I got a tremendous kick out of seeing the eight year old I gave all my Aliens comics too BEAMING -- had no idea about what ALIENS was and he f**king LOVED it.

You know what, I might leave my singles with the local store after I replace them with trades to give out.

HuDaFuK

As I've been saying for a while, I actually do intend to pre-order this (which would be a first), but unfortunately my local comic shop seems to have closed down some time in the last few months. I have some friends who live near a comic shop and I'm usually down there visiting once a fortnight, it's just every time I've been down lately I've been too busy (read: drunk) to actually walk down to the shop and place my order :)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jan 29, 2016, 01:10:18 PM
Yeah... preorders and having the comic down on your standing orders at comic shops are the most vital part of keeping a book alive. Basically, the more standing orders a shop has for a book (as in, how many customers have the book ordered in specifically for them and held aside for them when it comes in as opposed to having copies on the shelf for any random to pick up), the more the shop has to order IN ADDITION to what they might stock for their shelves. A shop might order six for the shelves, but that might sell out, and if you don't have a standing order, then you miss out. So because a shop is ordering MORE specifically for people with standing orders, that tells Diamond (the distributor) that it's selling, and they tell Dark Horse, so the sales figures go up. The better the sales figures, the longer a book lasts. Single issues are the lifeblood of any comic. Trade waiting is fundamentally flawed in that without the single issues, you don't have trades. The sales of single issues usually help cover the ongoing fees for the writers, artists, and everyone else involved in the production and it is a cheaper way to produce the story itself. I f everything was done as straight graphic novels, the expenses would be higher, because they have no gage on how well a book might sell. Single issues ARE the gage for the collected books. If a single issue run is selling well, then they know the trades probably will too. If singles don't -- and this was the case at Mirage when I wrote the TMNT -- then sometimes you don't even GET trades of the material, because the publisher can't justify the costs and effort when the on-paper math doesn't project a good future.

It's long, it's convoluted, and it may or may not be broken, but that's unfortunately how it is. What I can promise you is that Defiance is a very, very single issue friendly book.

Also, just so you guys know, there'll be a guest artist coming in at #3 and #4 (some of it from the looks of things) so I can get ahead on the heavier shit that comes after that... but it's gonna be wild. They both very character centric "episodes" (you'll see what I mean when #1 hits) and I'm a big fan of the artist coming on and he's gonna rock it pretty hard.

Anyway, back to the point, if you can get into your shops and start/add to your single issue standing order, that's the best way to tell Dark Horse you want more. Trade sales obviously help (and if you're like me, you can just get the trade later and give the single issues to a kid -- get THEM into it all too), and digital comics via the Dark Horse app are great too, if you don't have a comic shop nearby.

Is there a possibility that the artist on 3 and 4 might be Mark A. Nelson? considering that he is doing the alt cover?

Ultramorph

Over on Twitter Brian Wood just shared a new Defiance cover by Massimo Carnevale.
https://twitter.com/brianwood/status/693103697312796672
Spoiler
[close]
I really like Carnevale's almost watercolor style. Once again, I ask, is it April yet?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed