Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 196,478 times)

HuDaFuK

Would be nice.

I like the concept of that cover but the actual artwork lets it down a bit - some of the tiny Aliens look really cartoony.

Russ840

Another good issue. I feel the book has slowed its pace a little over the last 3 issues. Saying that, 9 does have a cool sequence that the artist really renders well. Although, I would have loved to have seen what Tristan would have done with it

426Buddy

Yeah this was a pretty great issue and the art is pretty darn good... God if Tristan had done the art for this issue it would be legend, I would bow to its awesomeness.
Spoiler

The character choices in this issue seemed very weird to me though. Unleashing a full grown queen loose on the Europa to possibly start a hive is a crazy idea, maybe the situation was desperate enough I guess. However, deciding to take the queen straight to earth so they can hand it over to WY seems to go against everything they supposedly believe in and are fighting for. I didn't quite buy it.
[close]

Russ840

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 26, 2017, 12:54:07 AM
Yeah this was a pretty great issue and the art is pretty darn good... God if Tristan had done the art for this issue it would be legend, I would bow to its awesomeness.
Spoiler

The character choices in this issue seemed very weird to me though. Unleashing a full grown queen loose on the Europa to possibly start a hive is a crazy idea, maybe the situation was desperate enough I guess. However, deciding to take the queen straight to earth so they can hand it over to WY seems to go against everything they supposedly believe in and are fighting for. I didn't quite buy it.
[close]

I bought into it.
Spoiler
it was Zula that made the call and she has a good enough reason to be conflict. She wants her back fixed and sees this as a way to get that done. She clearly wants that more than their mission. The issue also she the conflict in her thinking as well. The captions highlight it at least twice.
[close]
That's just how I took it.

426Buddy

Quote from: Russ840 on Jan 26, 2017, 07:59:56 AM
Spoiler

[close]

I bought into it.
Spoiler
it was Zula that made the call and she has a good enough reason to be conflict. She wants her back fixed and sees this as a way to get that done. She clearly wants that more than their mission. The issue also she the conflict in her thinking as well. The captions highlight it at least twice.
[close]

Spoiler
I can tell yah I know back pain really well, with a fractured L4 and 2 herniated discs I know about the pain and loss of mobility (maybe not to the extent that effects Zula but same ball park) .  None of that would make me compromise my entire species by bringing an alien queen back to earth lol. Also Hollis seemed to go along with it without much objection. It just seemed like a really extreme solution to me.
[close]

Russ840

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 26, 2017, 02:21:26 PM
Spoiler

[close]

I bought into it.
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I can tell yah I know back pain really well, with a fractured L4 and 2 herniated discs I know about the pain and loss of mobility (maybe not to the extent that effects Zula but same ball park) .  None of that would make me compromise my entire species by bringing an alien queen back to earth lol. Also Hollis seemed to go along with it without much objection. It just seemed like a really extreme solution to me.
[close]

Totally agree with you dude. It is an extreme solution. I just think it's just as relistic that she chose this as it would be to do the hero thing. I see her as a flawed character and this just reaffirm.

I kind of figured Hollis couldn't really do much about  it.

426Buddy

Either way still another great issue, can't wait for #10. Hard to believe we are almost to #12.

Russ840

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 26, 2017, 04:01:31 PM
Either way still another great issue, can't wait for #10. Hard to believe we are almost to #12.

Indeed. I hope we get season 2

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 26, 2017, 02:21:26 PM
Spoiler

[close]

I bought into it.
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

I think that they expected
Spoiler
the Queen to take a lot more punishment than she did. It was still stupid though. I don't think they sold how outnumbered they were early on in the issue. I think you see it a lot better when the Queen is on her rampage (great artwork btw!) but needed to see those numbers early on to really buy into it.

Also, Davis  :'( he looks so worse for wear right now.
[close]

Thoroughly enjoyed the issue though. I ended up picking up Volume 1 since the local had it in. Bit disappointed there's no extra but hopefully we'll get a fancy pants edition down the line with some goodies in.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Cheers for reporting on that, I shan't bother with the part 1 collected edition then.

Incidentally, is Extravehicular the edited version?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I wrote DH again praising Defiance and urging them to ask Tristan Jones to do another alien comic or short graphic novel.

I saw the collected series but passed on it, I'm holding out for that full fancy hardcover also.

I think I'm just going to stick with the individual issues of L&D though.

Xenomrph

My copy of volume 1 came in the mail from Amazon today; I haven't had a lot of free time to read much of it yet, but I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

The artwork is really great, I know I said it earlier in the thread but I'll say it again - I'm getting definite Killian Plunkett/Aliens Labyrinth vibes from the art, and that's a very good thing in my opinion.

HuDaFuK

Read #9 the other day. Good, but perhaps my least favourite issue so far.

Spoiler
Biggest gripe I had was that it didn't convince me unleashing the Queen was their only option. Maybe if they'd found those soldiers that apparently sneaked aboard first, then let her out, I could've bought that it was desperate measures time.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I agree. They really didn't sell their situation being that bad early on.

HuDaFuK

It did make me lol how all the space pirates looked like the IRA though :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed